Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Broken CMP sensor replacement

Discussion in 'Tips and Technical Info posted by Technician's' started by Chato308, April 24, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Chato308

Chato308 New Member

City, State:
      Independence, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Mounty 5.0 AWD
      I've been searching for hours but can't find the right answer for my current problem. Here's a little back story, I purchased a running and driving 1998 Mounty 5.0 AWD from a co-worker for $300. Once I drove it home I noticed the Cam position sensor is broken off at the female end of the plug and I can actually see the synchronizer spinning when the car is running. My question is will I need to adjust the Cam position with the specialty tool or can I just replace the broken sensor and vacuum out any debris that might be in it? Truck starts fine but I did notice it had trouble starting for about 30 seconds today while I was messing with jumping the A/C relay to get the clutch to engage again

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      If the metal rotating center flag is still intact, you should be able to replace the cap only, no tool needed.

4. Chato308

Chato308 New Member

City, State:
      Independence, MO
      1998 Mounty 5.0 AWD
      Thank you I was hoping that was the case