• Register Today It's free!

Broken seat reclining lever

emolina

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
Hi, Looking for an easy fix for the infamous seat reclining lever. Savage Wolf posted on an old thread that he had use climbing webbing for an easy fix but there were no pics. Does anyone have any pics that would help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Emolina! My fix for two broken levers in a row is to take the side trim off, then pull off the left side of the seat bracketing and replace with a piece from the pull-it-yourself junkyards. I don't have any pics on hand unfortunately, but you basically unscrew the trim piece with a phillips head, then use I believe a 10mm or 12mm socket or wrench and a T45 or T50 torx for the big bolts and it should come free with the new lever. You will have to unsnap the plastic strip at the bottom of the upper seat and yank the cloth or leather cover upwards to expose the top bolt. Don't worry, all creases will come out. Hope this helps!

Hi Emolina! My fix for two broken levers in a row is to take the side trim off, then pull off the left side of the seat bracketing and replace with a piece from the pull-it-yourself junkyards. I don't have any pics on hand unfortunately, but you basically unscrew the trim piece with a phillips head, then use I believe a 10mm or 12mm socket or wrench and a T45 or T50 torx for the big bolts and it should come free with the new lever. You will have to unsnap the plastic strip at the bottom of the upper seat and yank the cloth or leather cover upwards to expose the top bolt. Don't worry, all creases will come out. Hope this helps!
Thanks, I appreciate your informative reply. If I can't find info on how to mickey mouse it with a strap or webbing I'll have to bite the bullet and do it right.

Thanks, I appreciate your informative reply. If I can't find info on how to mickey mouse it with a strap or webbing I'll have to bite the bullet and do it right.
No Problem! Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.

You're the man Jon! That'll help Emolina a lot!

$15 bucks and a welding place reinforced it to last longer than the truck. Took him like 10 minutes. If you do buy one on ebay look for one that has a dimple in the metal lever support, they improved them in the later years.

• Initially, tried the "parachute cord fix", using a section of dog leash. Even with the loop as a handle, it was very difficult to operate and ineffective. It lacked adequate leverage.

Then fixed the broken handle, reinforcing the two broken parts by bolting them together attached to a stronger piece of metal from a hardware store bracket. Similar, I am sure, to the weld shop fabrication. Should last forever, and might be able to snatch the front seat out by chaining up to the new lever.... haha

I would not waste my time or effort replacing it with an original handle, unless some sort of redesign had been done. It will just break again....

Good luck with the project.

I had this problem. I took the seat out of the car and placed it on my welding table. Covered everything up but the broken metal with protection and then welded it back together. I threw in a little reinforcement for extra measure. I don't see it getting broken again.

Not simple or easy unless you have the tools and the skills, but it was fast (1/2 hour?) and is stronger than it was originally.

Back