Bronco II Straight Axle Conversion Details and Photos | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II Straight Axle Conversion Details and Photos

Yea and i think some of the photos are gone now too :(

Nope, I checked all pic links, they all seem to work fine. If anyone has a problem with them let me know. By the way my son says the BII drives WAY better now, in fact we noticed that a pin for the sway bar disconnect was missing so the sway bar is disconnected, he never even noticed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check post 14 the first two links are coming up with 404 errors "not found"

Yeah those aren't going to work, they are from our 4x4 group site and the web master deletes old pics after 2 years old. The links showing the conversion are controled by me though so they should stay ok.

Why are you waiting to install the fiberglass leaf springs?

And can you repost some pictures of your own jeep, i'd like to see it? The B2 looks like a lot of fun to wheel in.

Why are you waiting to install the fiberglass leaf springs?

And can you repost some pictures of your own jeep, i'd like to see it? The B2 looks like a lot of fun to wheel in.

I can repost some newer pics, but I've transfered all the parts from the white '91 XJ into my newer red '99 XJ, just got the lift in yesterday. We swapped the entire suspensions with axles, entire exhaust systems and both t-cases. Started at 8 in the morning and finished at 4:30, whew! I'm not in for that anytime soon for sure. As for the fiberglass leaves, my son is stationed on the Bonhomme Richard assault carrier out of SanDiego, he's not home hardly at all and doesn't want to install them till he gets out of the Navy in July '09. I know, it's a long time to wait, till then the 7 leaf springs actually seem to be working exceptionaly well. He may be interested in selling the leaves and sticking with the 7 leaf springs if anyone is interested, he'd sell them for way less then you can buy them currently.

your b2 made it into readers rigs in petersons didnt it?

Yup, the BII is in last summers, my XJ and my sons XJ are on the following page, it was cool to work with the editor on the pics too!

Springs work!

Well Spring is finally here and we had a chance to go on a moderate trip. Daniel was home on leave and it was time to flex the rebuilt front spring pack. Here is a youtube video of the BII flexing, I think you'll agree that mission is accomplished! Daniel's BII is a minute or so into the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sshKYOoPs68 No ride height was lost and the springs sit right at where they did when installed, they work! By the way, those trees are very dead, that's the location of the Hayman fire, Colorado's worst and largest fire ever, 58,000 acres.

Last edited:

Nice job

That is a sweet B2, I have an 88 and dana 30 im thinking of swapping in with a set of leafs from a wrangler. Looks like you have some good flex. Im new to forums so just gettn a few words out there, but really like your setup

That is a sweet B2, I have an 88 and dana 30 im thinking of swapping in with a set of leafs from a wrangler. Looks like you have some good flex. Im new to forums so just gettn a few words out there, but really like your setup

It was certainly a lot of work for sure, thanks for the praise!

springs

Dont know if you mentioned or not but did you use YJ front or rear springs? I think the fronts are 4 leaf and rear is 5 leaf but not sure. Also did you use shackles from rear of a ranger? All i need is a set of springs and figure what shackles I want to use and Im ready to start my sas project!:thumbsup:

I used rear 5 leaf, but as I mentioned they were not enough to support the heavy BII front end. I took another set of YJ springs and cut the main leaf eyes off, I kept it long enough to support the original main leaf under it's eye's. then also added a second "second" leaf under the second one (did I make sence?) I left the spring clamps open so that the leaves could fan out when drooped, it works very well. So what you end up with is a 7 leaf spring pack. As a side note, we are selling gthe Teraflex fiber leaves because there is no use for them. We are looking to get $300 for the pair and they would be the better way to go. Our problem is that I would have to remake the spring mounts on the frame to make room for the Teraflex's larger spring eye's, they use spherical ball ends instead of rubber. These leaves have incredible flex when in YJ's, and should do as well in the BII. I used Cherokee 2" lift rear spring shackles because they worked with the frame mounts I had access to. YJ shackles are more desired because they offer more lateral stabilty, but this is seldom driven on the road and so we put up with a little softer steering.
Re-read my posts and you'll get a better idea of what I did, it may not be what you do and you might come up with some better idea's. Either way it sure spanks the TTB any way you look at it!

tera springs

Hell yea it does. Thanks alot for the info should help me out if I go that rout. As far as the tera leafs you have Im very interested but would have to try and scrape up some cash,so if we could work out some kind of pick up or shipping I would be willing to get some cash together if you really need to get rid of them. Just let me know on how long I might have to get some cash but I really want to try and get them;) thanks and let me know, Ill put them to real good use:salute: haha

If I can get the leafs Ill be able to get the swap done this summer and you will have to let me know when you will be doin some wheelin maybe we can hit some trails and check the rigs out

Last edited:

Hell yea it does. Thanks alot for the info should help me out if I go that rout. As far as the tera leafs you have Im very interested but would have to try and scrape up some cash,so if we could work out some kind of pick up or shipping I would be willing to get some cash together if you really need to get rid of them. Just let me know on how long I might have to get some cash but I really want to try and get them;) thanks and let me know, Ill put them to real good use:salute: haha

If I can get the leafs Ill be able to get the swap done this summer and you will have to let me know when you will be doin some wheelin maybe we can hit some trails and check the rigs out

Shipping shouldn't be much, they are very light weight. We paid over $400 for them, he'd take $300, not a rush though whenever you get the cash.

Shipping shouldn't be much, they are very light weight. We paid over $400 for them, he'd take $300, not a rush though whenever you get the cash.

Sounds good:thumbsup: will se what I can do and wil let you know thanks

springs

just curious butt what is the width measurement on those spring eyes?

just curious butt what is the width measurement on those spring eyes?

It's the same as for a stock YJ spring. We can't use them because the rear mounts that I made using Ford hangers aren't deep enough and the outer part of the spring eye is larger than the JY factory spring. We didn't want to go through the hassle of remaking the mounts. If you started out with the Tera leaves in the first place then the mounts can be made to fit them right off.

Actually with BII value down, that's not that bad. Finally there is something for newbies to build that doesn't take much to wheel. Think about it, add a lockright to the back, remove the sway bar in back, make some kind of sway bar disconnect for the front and run some 30's. Then go have a pile of fun!

This is exactly why I love my little B2. Dirt cheap to work on, easy to work on, goes just about anywhere, and it's timid enough I can let my girl drive it without killing herself or my rig!

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what springs are you running in the front of that B2 again? I think I'm just really slow, because I can't find any specifics. Also, what size tires are on it in those youtube videos?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is exactly why I love my little B2. Dirt cheap to work on, easy to work on, goes just about anywhere, and it's timid enough I can let my girl drive it without killing herself or my rig!

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what springs are you running in the front of that B2 again? I think I'm just really slow, because I can't find any specifics. Also, what size tires are on it in those youtube videos?

The springs are rear Jeep Yj leaves with another main and second leaf added because the BII is so much heavier than a Wrangler. As you can see though the BII flexes well with 7 leaves, rides very well too.

Back