Bronco II Straight Axle Conversion Details and Photos | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II Straight Axle Conversion Details and Photos

The springs are rear Jeep Yj leaves with another main and second leaf added because the BII is so much heavier than a Wrangler. As you can see though the BII flexes well with 7 leaves, rides very well too.

Yeah, I'm pretty much a dumb-ass. I re-read it and found the answer. You talked about the new springs and how you hoped they didn't sag also. Did they? Just curious...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I'm pretty much a dumb-ass. I re-read it and found the answer. You talked about the new springs and how you hoped they didn't sag also. Did they? Just curious...

The springs have not sagged a bit, looks like they will work just fine.

The springs have not sagged a bit, looks like they will work just fine.

Nice. I'm hoping I can decide what I wanna do with my B2. Keep updating this post! It's nice to see people's projects working.

i have done my sas with a d30 front from an xj usin 4" xj rubi express springs and a home made long arm and mine flex well
SANY0239.jpg

l_de21e225039b4965b8afdd6537edcd9d.jpg

but it helps to disconect the sway bar of course so i made these out of some pins i picked up at home depot

SANY0233.jpg

(but just so no onw say any thing the springs pictured are rough country spring they did well too but the xj springs are alot better as far as ride and flex )

Looks good! We thought about an XJ front but thought there might be clearence issues with the oil filter, no one had done an SAS on a BII that we could find at the time.

thanks and i have no issues with clearance:thumbsup:

Axle Swap

I would like to see how you did the swap, I have an 84 as well and was trying to decide what I should do with the axles. I just got it so I don't know where to start.

I would like to see how you did the swap, I have an 84 as well and was trying to decide what I should do with the axles. I just got it so I don't know where to start.

Not sure what you mean, did you follow the thread? I'm pretty sure most of the pics still work, but a lot are dead links now.

Ok, we finally did it! Taz now has a 4.0! Yes! Daniel finally returned home from his 4 years in the Navy and it was his dream that kept him going while in the gulf to swap in the Explorer 4.0. Through Nov and Dec we took a couple of Saturdays (and many long afternoons sorting through wiring diagrams) and it's all in and running great! Thanks Jamie for the write up on the conversion, although it was pretty straight forward.

Congrats-4.0

Good Job on the swap. I have about decided to rebuild my 2.8 and run it as long as I can. I just do not know if it is worth the money. I would like to get some photos of the rig.

Good Job on the swap. I have about decided to rebuild my 2.8 and run it as long as I can. I just do not know if it is worth the money. I would like to get some photos of the rig.

You can really build a 2.8, I love 'em. Go with a Schnieder cam, a 1.21 motorcraft carb from a '77-'79 400 and Duraspark ignition. You'll REALLY love your 2.8 after that!

another denver bii with an ohv? sweet!!!!! did you use the a4ld or mazda?

i bet getting up 285 jst got alot more fun. i loved my ohv, just hated the trans.....

another denver bii with an ohv? sweet!!!!! did you use the a4ld or mazda?

i bet getting up 285 jst got alot more fun. i loved my ohv, just hated the trans.....

We used a '91 4.0 from an Ex that was totalled after we had just put in a rebuilt only 5k miles before, the kid kit a horse at 2am. The trans is the old Toyo Koygo from the '84, it'll live for a while.

the TK and Mitsu manuals seem to be more dependable then the later Mazda 5 speeds IMO.... cant wait to see this on the trails! My BII is getting caged right now/this spring... this is the biggest challenge I have taken on yet! There is also talk of a SAS between the wife and I...we will see how that goes ($$$$$)

the TK and Mitsu manuals seem to be more dependable then the later Mazda 5 speeds IMO.... cant wait to see this on the trails! My BII is getting caged right now/this spring... this is the biggest challenge I have taken on yet! There is also talk of a SAS between the wife and I...we will see how that goes ($$$$$)

Yup the SAS is a bit of cash, we have a shop so it took a lot of the sting out. Would've liked to have gone with XJ long arms, but even now we've noticed that the front driveshaft bound on full drivers droop. We clearenced the yoke and it's been fine, but wouldn't take anymore flex. I wonder if the folks that are getting super flex from the front are looking at driveshaft bind. There is no cardan joint available for the BII front, the only fix would be using an EX trans with a very rare manual t-case and then the EX front driveshaft. More $$$.

I have explorer trans, ex t case and ex front d shafts... same shafts I used for the 4.0 I have now with the 5.0L, of course I am still using a 93 BW1354 electric

You can get the 1354M for $150 here in CO I see them once in a while in the yards :)

Yup the SAS is a bit of cash, we have a shop so it took a lot of the sting out. Would've liked to have gone with XJ long arms, but even now we've noticed that the front driveshaft bound on full drivers droop. We clearenced the yoke and it's been fine, but wouldn't take anymore flex. I wonder if the folks that are getting super flex from the front are looking at driveshaft bind. There is no cardan joint available for the BII front, the only fix would be using an EX trans with a very rare manual t-case and then the EX front driveshaft. More $$$.

I made my own jeep style long arms (on my second version now) and they are working great.
What driveshaft bind are you talking about, at the pinion or T-case?

Originally I had a fairly steep driveshaft angle and I clearanced the d-shaft and it was never a problem. With my new set-up I lowered the front 1" and extended my arms (lowers) an 1" as well and it's made a world of difference. At full droop there's very little pinion change and I can turn the d-shaft with no binding anywhere.
The amount of lift you run is key to reduce binding
The cardan or CV joint driveshafts are nothing special, just a Spicer 1310 CV which is also used in jeeps and dozens of other vehicles. If you found one from another vehicle, you could homebrew a new shaft and make to the length you need fairly easy

bronco 2

u used a four link like the xj system can u get me some pics of that i wanna do mine with a d30 not sure if i wanna use coils or go leafe spring
i have done my sas with a d30 front from an xj usin 4" xj rubi express springs and a home made long arm and mine flex well
SANY0239.jpg

l_de21e225039b4965b8afdd6537edcd9d.jpg

but it helps to disconect the sway bar of course so i made these out of some pins i picked up at home depot

SANY0233.jpg

(but just so no onw say any thing the springs pictured are rough country spring they did well too but the xj springs are alot better as far as ride and flex )

He has not posted in sometime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes I used a four link but I used ag arms for min links it worked great I would post up pics of it but I can't on my droid and I don't have a computer I may have pics of it in the build thread in my sig if it helps and sorry it took so long to reply I ain't been on in while due to to some circumstanses and had to get rid of the b2 :( so now my focus is on the explorer I have now since things are lookin back up. But enough bout me any progress on this swap?

Back