Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Cousin? Cousin? DADDY is more like it!! hahaha :cool: :cool:

Okay the Ford answer to the gas crunch and Japanese mini truck invasion into the US was the Courier/Ranger with the 2.3L. Of course these were built by Mazda so go figure that one out.

The BII followed soon after and is considered by many to be the first "SUV" having 2 doors, a top, and a hatch. 1984 was the first model year of the BII, it was available with the 2.3L 4 banger or the 2.8L carbed 60 degree Cologne V6. the early auto transmission was the C5 (a C4 with a v6 bellhousing), or the Toyo Kogo stick. in 1986 the Bronco II (just like its ranger sister) was upgraded to the more efficient speed density EFI Cologne 2.9L, the A4LD (C5 + aluminum overdrive) was used behind the 2.9L and the Mitsubishi and Mazda 5 speed sticks found there way into the trucks. The 2.9L would remain the motivation for the BII until the end of its model run in 1990. Some late late model 2.9L's (especially in CA) also had mas air.

the BII was offered in both 2wd and 4x4 versions, the funny part is the 2wd versions simply had a "dummy" transfer case and Ford un-equal length traction beams for a front suspension.
4Wd trucks were equipped with either the manual or electric shift "touch drive" Borg Warner 1350 series transfer case. The infamous Ford TTB was used up front, the BII used a Dana 28 TTB. In some of the late model trucks a hybrid D28/35 TTB could be found.
The rear axle in the BII was the same as its sister ranger, the corporate 7.5" spring over with opposing shocks. Again in some late model trucks Ford snuck a 28 spline Ranger spring over 8.8 rear axle.
On a VERY rare occasion the BII in the last model year was fitted with a OHV 4.0L, perhaps in preperation for the Explorer sport? We may never know. I personally have seen 1 of these trucks that appeared to be 100% factory.
I have seen several with the D28/35 hybrid and 8.8 rear.

Ford had plans to make the large rear side windows of the BII remove-able. We know this because some of the owners manuals in the late 85 and early 86 model years came printed with instructions for removal and storage of the large windows. Also Ford had several advertisements printed in magazines of the era that showed the windows out with people hanging out the sides. the removable windows never made it into production, we figure it was because the BII created somewhat of a roll over controversey after it hit the streets (yeah like CJ-5's never flipped). I assume this is the sole reason ford made the BII without a removable top like the EB and FSB.

Some limited edition BII's were made that are quite interesting. There was a conversion unit that was fitted with a rather large rear camper shell type addition (FUGLY). There was also a "sport" package known as the XLT which had a different front and rear air dam as well as some nifty little rock kicker side skirts. Ford commissioned the production of a handful of soft top Bronco II's as well, these are really really rare, but do exist.
I have seen some Bronco II's that had rear bucket seats from the factory also, they looked kind of odd to me, but hey who am I to say.

The interior and body of the BII was basically the same from 1984 to 1988. In 1989 the front clip was updated with the wrap around style corner lights (identical to a 91 explorer). The interior dash was also updated with the same unit that can be found in 89-91 Rangers and the 91-92 Explorer.
the Bronco II had 3 different rear hatch configurations over the years, the basics are swing away spare tire carrier or no (no = spare is mounted in the cargo hold behind the rear seat), some of the model years had lift up style rear glass and on a rare occassion the truck had both the tire carrier and the lift up glass. Models with the stationary glass were available with rear defrost and also rear intermittant wiper and washer.

From the firewall forward the 89-90 model year of the BII is identical to the 91 Explorer and Explorer sport. When it bacame Explorer the 2.9L was replaced with its big brother the Cologne 4.0L OHV. The A4LD auto was still offered as well as the Mazda 5 speed. All 4x4 Explorer's had a D35 TTB front axle and a 8.8 31 spline rear, only with the leaf springs mounted underneath (gee you think roll over concern had anything to do with this?)

This is a brief history of Ford's "under dog" BII as I have it in my head. I will add more to this as I remember it, please feel free to add your own discoveries and share your Bronco II knowledge!

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My friend had an 83? or 84 Bronco II, and it had the rear hatch glass that could pop-up separate from the hatch, like on 91-94 Explorers. But then on the 89 Bronco II's that I was around, did not have this--the rear hatch glass was integral with the hatch.

correct, your 89 likely had a rear defrost as well?

I actually have an early model hatch, hinges, glass, and cylinders in storage, I plan to make a custom hatch from it with the glass that comes off but also retain my rear washer/wiper

Yeah it had rear defrost. The thing I wonder is, why did Ford decide to make the hatch all-in-one from about 86-90? Then later they added the pop-back glass back in (91-94 Explorers)...like maybe people requested it?

Apparetnly it took that long because they finally had the technology to make a rear defrost with the lift up glass finally in 1991 and also a wiper that could seat itself enough to clear the glass :) hahaha

Amazing how far we have come!

410Fortune said:
I actually have an early model hatch, hinges, glass, and cylinders in storage, I plan to make a custom hatch from it with the glass that comes off but also retain my rear washer/wiper

Somewhere else here someone was talking about Lambo doors on their Explorer, and it made me wonder:

Have you ever seen someone take a BII rear hatch (or any SUV with a rear hatch, for that matter) and fab/modify it to where it hinged on the SIDE rather than on the top?

Would it not look like a hearse then?!

I've just noticed this new forum, and I wanted to congratulate you for your new moderator status! One thing that I've read somewhere on this site was that you had to own an Explorer as one of the requirements to be a moderator. Is that true, or do you also have an Explorer? If they ever want to start an Aerostar forum, I guess they might pick me. I have 3 of them!

i think he has 2 explorers

Thanks!

I do own 2 explorer's, however one is about to get crushed, the other daily driven.
If you take a look around there are a few mods on tis forum that do not own Explorer's, at least not anymore! I had one fall into my lap, I rolled it so I bought another one to build.

I have seen some WILD BII's, I have seen side tilting front glass (like the entire nose piece) I have seen gullwing doors and suicide doors, but never a side hinged hatch.....

Last edited:

Hey, I think a really nice painted and restored B11 with no really wild mods other then maybe a lift kit looks great. There are several of those here where live and they look really good going down the road. There are several in the used car lots that I have my eye on. Just keep to restore and hold on to.

Creager said:
Would it not look like a hearse then?!

haha yes I suppose it would. Especially if you lowered it, painted it black and gray, and put that long S-shaped piece of chrome where the side rear glass panels are. :D

Rhett said:
haha yes I suppose it would. Especially if you lowered it, painted it black and gray, and put that long S-shaped piece of chrome where the side rear glass panels are. :D
...and stretched it 10'. :p

All of the current Moderators own an Explorer.

Is Tom not a moderator? What about Matt Adams? Colin are you sure cuz looking at the list of mods it doesnt seem they all still have Explorer's??

if tom is the tom im thinking of his name isnt in black......its in blue....

You mean Tom Wilk?

okay so the question is does every mod own an explorer? I know BIll (rangerX) works on his wifes Ex from time to time :) hehehe

Matt Adams got rid of Vegas years ago

Just wondering....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back