Bronco II - What in the heck? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II - What in the heck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what?

so wait your telling me that when i owned my 1988 bronco 2 2.9L fuel injected 4x4 that had the swing away tire and pop up back window and bucket seats that is was not mass pro

swing away tire carrier and pop up back window I have never seen together on the same truck from the factory personally, but I have seen them online and claimed to be factory... it would not be difficult to add the swing out carrier to a pop up window tailgate however.

The rear bucket seats were very rare also, I have only seen one, they were called "capitains chairs"

89 Bronco II 2.9L will still have the 7.5" rear, HOWEVER I have personally seen a 1989 truck with a 8.8 from the factory, it also had a D35 ttb..... :) so your guess is as good as mine! the BII rear 8.8 would still be a 28 spline unit with drum brakes (from the ranger).

Apparently there were also some 90 Bronco II's that had the 4.0L, the D35, the 8.8 and were possibly called explorer's, I have never seen one, only pictures.

hmmmm ive never seen a any b2 w/ an 8.8 from factory, ranger yes, bii no...

now from what i understood that D35 was an option in 89, and standard in 90 but still have 7.5 in the rear ...

4.0L was never introduced to a BII (thats a myth)..

my 1984 has a swing out spare tire, rear buckets and swing up back glass

I've seen alot of 84-85's with pop up glass and carriers. Ive had two.

Last edited:

Yeah the 1987 XLT I had, which is still in my area, had the pop hatch & factory swing out carrier....not an add on, factory. Will try to snag a close up photo next time I see it running around.

Fools were bad about not closing the hatch window and swinging the tire carrier shut and braking the safety glass into a million pieces thank a Ford Engineer, Also it is hard to see pass the spare out the rear view mirror. Has anybody seen how to get rid of the dummy case and put a driveshaft from a ranger? I swore I saw how to do it on somebodys web site.Then I can put headers and duals out the back and maybe get about 25 miles to the gallon on the hiway.Mine is 2wd and I love the way she gets in and out of traffic, but stuff, she gets mighty thirsty, with a 27 gal tank, thanks.

Fools were bad about not closing the hatch window and swinging the tire carrier shut and braking the safety glass into a million pieces thank a Ford Engineer, Also it is hard to see pass the spare out the rear view mirror. Has anybody seen how to get rid of the dummy case and put a driveshaft from a ranger? I swore I saw how to do it on somebodys web site.Then I can put headers and duals out the back and maybe get about 25 miles to the gallon on the hiway.Mine is 2wd and I love the way she gets in and out of traffic, but stuff, she gets mighty thirsty, with a 27 gal tank, thanks.

We reversed the bracket holding our spare onto the tubular steel. Dropped the tire a good 6" but still kept the license plate visible. Made all the difference in the world, and I wish I could do the same with my wife's 2012 RAV4. I like the full-size spare but the visibility sacrifice is pretty huge.

As to the dummy case, I don't know if the RWD auto Ranger (A4LD) had the dummy case, but the 4-cyl mustang had the A4LD, so wondering if it could stand up to the torque from a 2.9? Was the same transmission used in the 1st-gen Explorers, and if so did it have the dummy case? Food for thought...

Hi all;
Truckjunkie here,you can call me Truck;I went by "Speed" on other forums but it told me that name's already occupied here. Please forgive me if I forget and sign with that.
My '84 came with the inside spare,one piece hatch/window and I don't remember what back seat(s),they've ALWAYS been folded down and covered with milk crates of chains,come-alongs,tools,jacks,jugs of oil,antifreeze,hydraulic fluid and gear oil. I changed it over to the opening rear glass because I can't get a set of hatch struts to last more than a couple of months. Easier to just pop the window open to get stuff out. I've installed a locker in the rear axle,just put in a new clutch a couple of years ago,added a beefy front bumper and a custom built rear bumper/hitch,it also is a tank for my on-board air I built at a cost of under $20.00;the oil for the compressor was the biggest expense. I also built a shifter for the 5 speed after the second stocker broke. (One broke the tower,other one broke the stick at the pivot point.) I added a split bench seat from an Explorer,and a tilt column from an '86 or so. I named it the "BroncWorth" because IT thinks it's a Kenworth. So far it's heaviest tow has been 11 miles to the scrap yard with 11,200 pounds of steel and car trailer. Not FAST,but it got there and back without any damage. It's apart now for a starter and ring gear,some exhaust work and a deluxe de-smog. While the motor's out I'll adjust the valves,and maybe try to get some cable lube into the throttle cable. It's been my daily driver/work truck for these past 9 years. Now I have a rolled but operable '81 Toyota 4WD truck to use so I can keep the BroncWorth off the road and do some needed work on it.
I'm not sure what all I can remove in the way of wiring and vacuum lines on this truck-anyone out there that can help me out? We don't have smog testing here and don't have any plans for it in the future so I'm not worried about that.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Truck

once upon a time I had a B2....which led me into gettin an Exploder....just sayin!

I love the 60's Bronco (before the II was conceived)

My Dad had a '68 Bronco as a Company truck for a while-it sounded great,had plenty of power,would run 90 plus all day long on the highway and got really good mileage,but was nearly worthless in the mountains. the 3 speed column shift transmission and tall gearing,and its tendency to jump out of low gear when climbing on rough ground made getting to some microwave sites a real adventure. For what he was doing the 4WD '69 K-10 Suburban the Co. gave him next was MUCH better,and it had Posi in BOTH axles,with 4.10 gears and a 4 speed.
I like the early Bronco,too,especially if it's not necessary to stick to "stock". lower ring-n-pinion gears and a 4 speed (and GOOD shocks to control wheel hop) make a world of difference in making it an excellent truck.
Truck

Back