BTF UCAs and spacers from 3rd gen compatible with 4th gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BTF UCAs and spacers from 3rd gen compatible with 4th gen?

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi all. Posted in 4th gen forum with no luck.
Can anyone confirm whether 3rd gen BTF extended control arms and strut spacers are compatible with a 4th gen Ex?

My 03 had quite a mishap. And thru my nephew in law I may be able to acquire an 09 with a bad motor for the cost of towing.
I am trying to decide which route to take, repair mine that has had alot of work to the suspension and drive train (seals bearings ECT) or to transfer the motor and lift to the 09.
Advice would be much appreciated.

PS I haven't been able to get ahold of Brandon to confirm on the UCAs between generations.

Thanks. Jim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my search on part numbers between OEM UCA's, they are different between the 3rd and 4th gen.

From my search on part numbers between OEM UCA's, they are different between the 3rd and 4th gen.

I was able to confirm with Brandon from BTF that there differences in dimensions from 3rd to 4th gen. That they would not be a direct fit. He also mentioned the front strut spacers should be fine but the rears I should be able to get them to fit with some possible modifications.

On a somewhat unrelated to an extent matter. It may be possible to make the UCAs work if one has the tools and know how to do some extensive modding.

Well found out it's not a 09 but a 03. Mines a 03 but a v6 this other one is a V8 so motor swap is out of the question. If I can get it would either have to rebuild or replace the motor. Not sure what wrong with it yet.

Does the 4.6 have the timing issues as well. Also does the 4.6 with AWD have anything different trans and xfer case wise versus ones with 4x4 autos ?

Well found out it's not a 09 but a 03. Mines a 03 but a v6 this other one is a V8 so motor swap is out of the question. If I can get it would either have to rebuild or replace the motor. Not sure what wrong with it yet.

Does the 4.6 have the timing issues as well. Also does the 4.6 with AWD have anything different trans and xfer case wise versus ones with 4x4 autos ?

The V8 also uses plastic guides that can wear out similar to the V6. However, the entire setup is in the front of the motor. The job is 10 times easier than the V6.
Using a couple walkthroughs I found on here I did the whole job in a weekend.

To my knowledge the only difference with AWD is the transfer case. AWD does not change anything with the tranny.
Between V6 and V8 however, the trannys use different bellhosings

Good luck, keep us updated!

Back