BTF's cut and turn beam exchange | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BTF's cut and turn beam exchange

I have no idea about having to use the swingset style steering. I do want to change to somthing like the stonecrusher setup, but they aren't selling them for explorers yet. Right now I'm using the same dropped pitman arm but with about 1" more of lift than I had with my drop brackets before.

From my testing so far (just cycling the suspension as I'm still not driving it since the rear suspension is off for a few more days) I think I have actually lost some total suspension travel. I lost some droop since the beams are already "turned" as felt from the radius arms and my up travel has always been limited by the airbox/fender. I also have to push the bottom of the shock out since the body of the shock hits the RA body do to the increased rotational angle of the RA.

What I did gain though was some ground clearance and less force applied to the frame via the RA brackets.

Another "option" I now have is to use the Duff bracket AND the cut/turned beams to run even more lift (7" lift with 2.5" drop brackets). Of course, I never "planned" to go that high, but you never know.

hopefully, someone smarter than me about suspension will chime in.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know 410Fortune used a drop bracket/cut and turn lift combination in his BII, but he hasn't been active on the forums in some time. :scratch:

I have no idea about having to use the swingset style steering. I do want to change to somthing like the stonecrusher setup, but they aren't selling them for explorers yet. Right now I'm using the same dropped pitman arm but with about 1" more of lift than I had with my drop brackets before.

From my testing so far (just cycling the suspension as I'm still not driving it since the rear suspension is off for a few more days) I think I have actually lost some total suspension travel. I lost some droop since the beams are already "turned" as felt from the radius arms and my up travel has always been limited by the airbox/fender. I also have to push the bottom of the shock out since the body of the shock hits the RA body do to the increased rotational angle of the RA.

What I did gain though was some ground clearance and less force applied to the frame via the RA brackets.

Another "option" I now have is to use the Duff bracket AND the cut/turned beams to run even more lift (7" lift with 2.5" drop brackets). Of course, I never "planned" to go that high, but you never know
hopefully, someone smarter than me about suspension will chime in.

~Mark

I've always wanted to go with the cut n turned beams but shied away do to the cost of the swing set steering and also the installation and setup of it.

got mine on friday and painted them neon greon to match my buddies class 1 TT and thanks brandon but forgot my brakelines can you ship them to me and ill give you the cash when i bring you back the core:) or just give them to me cuz you and i both know you love me ;)

Im curious Brandon how much wider could you extend the beam with say a 33/10.50 tire on a 15x8" wheel and fit farely well within the factory fender skirts on a Navajo.Maybe stick out just a bit.Can always get bushwackers if need be.And what coils would you recommend for that tire combo and your beams and a SOA out back.

got mine on friday and painted them neon greon to match my buddies class 1 TT and thanks brandon but forgot my brakelines can you ship them to me and ill give you the cash when i bring you back the core:) or just give them to me cuz you and i both know you love me ;)

NEON GREEN! Really.Hey man there,s no such thing as a class 1 TT.Its either a Class 1,OR a TT.Class 1 is a unlimited buggy.And TT is of course Trophy Truck.I know you were just checking to see if we were paying attention.:D

Subbing and taking this into consideration for my BII build.

i meant his class 1 and tt the arms on both are neon green at least they were on the class 1 and they still are on the TT

Is This Still Going by chance ? , I Had A brain fart earlier today and said hmm , Cut and turned beams with 4" lift brackets with 8" ranger coils with spacers , custom extended Radius arms , Soa in rear with shackles and possible add a leaf , Only other concern is The drop pitman arm and steering with that much lift ,, I also already have 3" body lift , Not sure how huge that would be and how well the truck would handle being that tall , but I'm sure it could clear some big tires for a Cool show truck

We now have a complete kit available from 4-6" lift! Includes your choice of 4" or 6" coils, extended heimed radius arms with pivot brackets, cut and turned beams, and extended stainless steel braided brakelines. Cost will be $1125 with beam exchange or $1425 outright. If you guys want shocks included too I'm sure we can figure something out.

So stoked! I have been waiting for a 4" lift with this setup. Do you have a source for a 4" lift spring replacement? I live in Banning, which makes you the closest!

So instead of doing drop brackets, you can do these, a 6in spring, extended radius arms, and a SOA in the rear and have a pretty nice "factory" type lift. Plus the drop pitman arm and extended brake lines.

So instead of doing drop brackets, you can do these, a 6in spring, extended radius arms, and a SOA in the rear and have a pretty nice "factory" type lift. Plus the drop pitman arm and extended brake lines.

Don't forget shocks.. and if your doing a lift I'm assuming you going with taller tires. When you use taller tires you really should change your gear ratio too.

~Mark

. When you use taller tires you really should change your gear ratio too.

Heed this advice. I run 33" tires with stock 3.73 gearing. It is murder on my gas mileage, due to the fact that I have an extremely heavy foot. My gas mileage with stock size tires is about 15mpg, with 33's it drops to about 10. On the flip side, with 33's on the highway using a light foot and not going above 65mph, I can get about 22mpg.

Yes, that's right. I get both 10mpg and 22mpg with the same setup, simply by changing my driving habits.

what all do i need to do this? I am looking at lift options and this is by far the best i have found. I know i will need ext. brake lines, drop pitman arm, anything else? Going to do soa for the rear so should i go with the 4.5" or the 5" beams?
I know it's been 10 months since anyone posted here but hopefully someone will be watching.

I would be interested if this is still going on too!

what all do i need to do this? I am looking at lift options and this is by far the best i have found. I know i will need ext. brake lines, drop pitman arm, anything else? Going to do soa for the rear so should i go with the 4.5" or the 5" beams?
I know it's been 10 months since anyone posted here but hopefully someone will be watching.

The cut and turn get rid of the need for axle drop brackets. You still need the rest of the lift kit..

In general, that would be...
  • Drop pitman arm
  • Extended Radius Arm with mounts (or ra drop brackets, but, if you do that, why bother with c&t beams)
  • Coil springs to give you the lift you want
  • Longer shocks and possibly a different upper shock mount (like f-250 shock mount)
  • Lift for the rear
  • Possibly longer drive shafts, depends on your final lift height and shafts

My RA have been extended and I'm using Ballistic joints on the end. I "think" I have skyjacker front springs (not sure on the brand) and I'm using f-250 shock mounts so I can fit in 32" long front shocks.

For the rear I'm using SOA with a very worn set of OME-36 springs.

I'm able to use my stock driveshafts but I am right at the limit. Any more lift and I must get new shafts (I'm planning on it anyway though).

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if BTF is still doing first gen explorer lifts?

Back