Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bubbles in paint on front edge of hood

Discussion in 'Body Work & Detailing' started by ljordan119, June 8, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ljordan119

ljordan119 New Member

City, State:
      Bloomingdale, Georgia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016, Explorer Sport
      I have a 21016 Ford Explored Sport. The paint has been bubbling on the front edge of the hood since I purchased it from a Ford dealer. Ford rep at Ford Customer care sent me an email and stated this:

Thank you for alerting us to your paint concern on the hood. From the chat, I understand you do not wish to pay for the paint repair. Paint manufacturer defects are covered only during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period of your vehicle. (New Vehicle Limited Warranty period covers 3 years from the warranty start date or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first).

After reviewing my resources, I have verified that the vehicle is no longer within that Paint Warranty and there are are no recalls or other programs on your vehicle to completely cover the cost. I see you have a maintenance, tire and Premium Care Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP). Typically, paint is not covered by an ESP but you are welcomed to call the ESP team at 1-800-392-3673 or 1-866-616-6727 to verify what is or is not covered in your Premium ESP. They are available Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (EST). They also have a website with general coverage and details which is: ESP Product Landing Page

To clarify, we escalated your request to look into assistance with the cost of the repair but not to cover it completely. Once the warranty expires, Ford does not provide complete coverage for any defect. Based on the information you provided, Ford Motor Company will participate in some of the cost of this repair which includes parts and labor. There is no alternative response or decision I can provide. This is the final decision.

But the Ford 2016 warranty downloaded from Ford states this on page 11:

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
      Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
      driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
      metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
      to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
      workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
      and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
      customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
      or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For
      damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there
      is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our
      policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne
      material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BandwagonJumper

BandwagonJumper New Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      2016 Limited 4WD

HI ljordan - I think there are a LOT of us in the same situation that you're in. I stopped by the dealership this morning for the issue on my 2016 Limited. Service writer claimed my warranty for this ended after the 36k mile period - I've got 53k on mine. Going to try another dealer this afternoon. Different people have had varying degrees of success - but we all know it's a WELL KNOWN issue. Ford does not seem to care.

4. ljordan119

ljordan119 New Member

City, State:
      Bloomingdale, Georgia
      2016, Explorer Sport
      I am done with Ford. Ford customer care has showed me over the last several weeks how they value their customers, which is zero. Soon as I am clear of this Explorer I am going to buy me a Honda Pilot. I have to know Toyota and Honda would have handle this with zero arguments with the customers. I am going to pay the 1/3 to get this fixed and then it is up for sale. One way to keep customers coming back is to keep them happy with good customer care after the sale and one way to run them off is to don't take care of them with lousy customer care after the sale. Don't get me wrong, I love this vehicle, but It makes me wonder what what else is Ford hiding. I mean they have known about this issue since 2004 and the proof of that is the TSB 04-25-1 issued Dec, 27 2004

5. BandwagonJumper

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      2016 Limited 4WD
      Hi again ljordan - there's another thread - Hood Paint bubble issue only, where moderator peterk9 moved another of my postings to - asking what next steps are after being turned away by the service writer this morning, as he stated - it's out of the 3/36 warranty. Peter points out the same warranty section that you quote - stating it should be handled on 2016 and newer for 5 years, unlimited miles.

6. ljordan119

ljordan119 New Member

City, State:
      Bloomingdale, Georgia
      2016, Explorer Sport

Ah, but you see Ford cleverly worded the warranty to read perforation by corrosion for 5 years or unlimited miles only. The paint is only warrantied for 3 year/36, 000 miles. Ford does not care that the corrosion of dissimilar metals or galvanic corrosion is the reason that paint bubbled up. If Ford cared about it customers, this issue would not be going on 14 later. If Ford really cared about its customers, Ford would have nailed this problem in the getgo and no one would see it again. If Ford or who ever does the repaint is not careful in the cleaning process, you could have the same problem again, and again.

7. BandwagonJumper

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      2016 Limited 4WD
      Yes, I understand what you're saying. It is sneaky wording for sure. It made for some lively discussions at the office today. Seems to have been written by the lawyers!
      I did go back to the same dealer this afternoon, they are open quite late. I tried again with a different service writer (shift change). He told me that he would take pictures of the hood, send them to Ford and see what they would do. It seems very hit and miss depending on who you get to talk with. He took pictures and wrote up a service ticket to push it up the line for a decision. As he was taking pics, I asked about the damage and the process - he said it was clear that no human could do that kind of damage (obviously) and that he's had very good results with Ford replying. "Haven't had one denied yet". If they do approve it, it'll be a new hood, painted in the local shop. Based on the number of visible blisters and feeling along the bottom edge of the hood where MANY more are starting but haven't worked their way up onto the visible section of the lip, I think a new hood is the best way to go. Stripping the old one down would be time intensive for them. I they'd have to sand blast or bead blast it, then seal, fill and paint. Crazy.
      On an unrelated note, a friend has a 2017 but he's already installed a thin stick on nick guard. I didn't have the heart to tell him it wouldn't matter, since the damage is coming from bad prep.

8. ljordan119

ljordan119 New Member

City, State:
      Bloomingdale, Georgia
      2016, Explorer Sport
      Well, I hope you all the luck. No sand blasting. Walnut shells or glass bead only and carbon blast will only contaminate the aluminum even more. You see for me, Ford owns this problem, lot, stock and barrel. They created it and are still doing it. The dealerships didn't create it, why should they own it? This makes me wonder what else is Ford hiding they will not own up to and will not take ownership of or accountability and responsibility for?

9. vanderson

vanderson New Member

2016, Explorer Sport
      I have a 2016 black Ford Explorer Sport, manufactured at Chicago plant. I have found two areas that are bubbling and one is already stripped down. I am 2k out of my bumper to bumper. Any tips for my trip to the dealership Monday as I try to address this issue it seams we are all having?

10. ljordan119

ljordan119 New Member

City, State:
      Bloomingdale, Georgia
      2016, Explorer Sport
      Make sure the hood is replaced and painted per the TSB. Soon as I can shed this Explorer, I am done with Ford. A warranty should not have to be written by lawyers just so Ford can get out of standing behind their product. This is sad in so many ways. It makes me wonder what else is Ford not telling us. You buy the vehicle in good faith not thinking or knowing you should have prior aluminum panel corrosion experience before the purchase. Then you buy the vehicle and your warranty reaches 37K miles and you are screwed. Remember the old Ford saying quality is job 1? Well we know that is not so. The galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals (aluminum & iron) is causing the paint bubble problem, so Ford because of their defects in their manufacturing of the aluminum panels created the paint problem but will not stand behind the problem they created. I like this vehicle a lot but Ford Motor Company has ruined my faith in them as a good company. I don't want to take a chance on throwing the dice hoping I get one of the vehicles that will not corrode. I want to know it is not going to corrode or the know the manufacture is going to stand behind a problem they created. Ford will not let me in on anymore chats about this 2016 Explorer. I have been blocked from any more chats. If you want a good warranty I suggest you buy Toyota or Honda.

11. vanderson

vanderson New Member

2016, Explorer Sport
      I am looking to trade back to Toyota. Wish I never would have left the 4-Runner. The cost of this vehicle and the issues I’m already having are ridiculous. On top of the paint the panels on front doors are pulling off as well.