rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Help a guy out. I researched and can not find a custom built tranny mount that one of you guys built and posted about. It consisted of a short piece of tubing at each end with bushings that was welded to a short piece of metal. In turn this was bolted to the tranny and from there to the Xmember. It was longer then the stock mounts and should control some of the torque. Bolts went thru the bushings.
Like to see how it worked out. And also to see the pics again for some ideas.
I'm getting a lot of torque movement with transfer in low and especially when I put it from drive to reverse. The atlas in low, coupled to a v8 with 5.13, and idle set at 1K, well you get the picture.
Also saw where some off road shop sold some longer tubes with bushings about 3"long?
Be easy to fab up that bushing/tube thing but may be cheaper just to buy.
Thanks as always.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not it, but do appreciate the try. The ends have round tubing, probably DOM about 3" long with those push in hard poly bushing at the ends that a bolt around 3 to 4" long that passes through. Picture a piece of rectangular steel around 1" x 3" about 8" long with those round tube/bushing welded at each end. The bolts would pass through the poly ends running parallel with the 3" side. Then in the middle would be holes drilled in the middle so the 1 x 3" could bolt flat against the tranny. This would bolt to tranny just like the pics you see instead of the typical mount. Then to the Xmember. This in my opinion would controll some of the rotational twist of the tranny/transfer case cause of the wider seperation of the two bolts at the ends. And if I remember correctly that is why he built it that way.
If not mistaken it was somebody from the west coast or possibly CO. You know, one of those cool guys with all those trick ideas lol.

Trannymount.jpg

I'm running a C4/C5 hybrid. The tranny mount I'm talking about looks very similar to the one I put together for the pic. Here I used a piece of channel, not say that this is not what he used to fab up. Where the 2 marks are is where there would be holes drilled to match the ones on the tranny. Then there would also be those poly bushings slipped into the tubing then the bolts.
The idea is this would be bolted to the flat area on the tranny and then with the wider spacing of bolts that would attach to the X member that I have in place now, would control more of the yaw or rotational twist of the Atlas/C4.

Ahh, gotcha...looks something like the Toyota guys use.

Attachments

• transmountplt1.jpg
    transmountplt1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 334

That's exactly the idea. But with more seperation at the bushed ends.
If the posts can not be found, I'll just fab one up. But did want to see how much it helped him out. I'm sure it was over a year ago when I saw the posts.
May even use the material that's in the pic just as long as I can get bushings for the diameter tubes.

tranny12-2.jpg

trannymount14.jpg

Thanks guys. Here's what I came up with. Wish it could have been more symmetrical, but Oh well. The separation between the Xmember bolts and the firmness in the material that surrounds the bolts that connect to the C4 is what's more important.
The existing separation was 2.5" compared to the now 9.5". Still need to mount this thing.
It's continued on my never ending build site.

:notworthy:Bingo That's it... Great to hear that it works. And yes I've notched the crap out it to clear the castings. This thing which I thought would take a few hours is turning into a few days.
I'm now removing the exhaust system so I can tack weld it in place. Then I'll completely remove the Xmember so I can get a good weld angle on it. The V8 with the Comp cam likes to idle at 1000 but when I shift from N to D or even worse R to D it really jolts the tranny especially with the shift kit. I've found out that on trails if I set the idle down it's not so bad. But as you know it's when doing the rocks is when it really takes a beating.
The transmission mount was a little twisted even with the mild trails that I've done. But that will change this year.
Thanks for replying. I was worried if I was wasting my time.

After reading your thread, I really need to do some serious motor mount work also. So far I've got chains holding him down ha ha.

Ok guys, I've got some videos up and running on my build site for anyone contemplating this worthwhile mod. Before and after video. Again thanks to everyone.

Back