button combination to reset your radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

button combination to reset your radio

TUFins21

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Does anyone know how to reset the radio using a combination of buttons. I have a 97 Explorer Sport, and it has a 6 cd changer. If you know, let me know. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think pulling the battery off for 20 min or so to reset the whole electrical system would work... But I'm not positive...

I am having the same problem so let me know if that works

Jake, I can't do it because I dont have the right tools. If you want to try it, go ahead and let me know. Are you really having the same problem, with the whole headphone thing. let me know.

Ok boys, why dont we try it together now...1....2....3! :)

All you do is loosen the terminals with your hand or a wrench, or yank it off...

Wait...do you have the JBL system?? If so, you can't really reset the system, even taking the battery terminals off. The amp has backup power to it so whatever station presets were programmed would stay. The only thing you have to set is the clock.

There are no "reset" buttons

There are no buttons to push on the factory radio to "reset" it. I think you are looking for the Rear Seat Control enable, which I posted under your other question about your rear speakers and headphones.

Disconnecting the battery on your Explorer may cause your radio stations to reset, depending upon the model year and the radio model. Older model radios will default to a set of factory preset radio stations, that were often stations local to the assembly plant building the vehicle. Newer models, with Premium level or Audiophile level radios, as 96EEB said, will maintain the last "user-set" radio presets, regardless of how long the battery power is interrupted.

I hope my explanations have been helpful.

regards,

cobrajeff

Ok, my problem might not be the same after all, my radio acts like it isn't getting any power, they clock won't work or anything, i tried unhooking the battery, but it didn't work. I do know that all the grounds going into the radio are good and so are the voltages, i have tried several different radios with the same result, if anyone has any ideas about what might be wrong let me know

I forgot to mention it but i have a 95 Explorer with a cd changer and i think i might have the JBL system

Jake, have ya tried to see if it's a connection problem?? Since you said it's not getting power, check all wires are plugged in tight. Check the ones in the rear quarter panel because that's where your amp and sub amp are. It's a big job but it's worth check it out.

Since you have an Eddie Bauer, I'm sure you have a JBL system. If you have a subwoofer in the back, then it's the JBL system. Good luck diagnosing your problem!! :)

EDIT: Boy do I feel like an idiot. I didn't fully read your post so ignore the top. If you're getting normal voltage and getting good grounds and tried switching to different radios, then I'm sure it's a bad amp. Try swapping it out with another amp for the JBL system.

Ok, i took off the plastic interior of the back passengers side quarter panel to check out the amp, when i did if noticed that where the antenna plugs in it was about to come apart and i was wondering if the antenna wasn't plugged in would it stop the radio from working

I can't do it because I dont have the right tools.

:D what? who doesn`t have at least an adjustable wrench kicking around? do you just have screwdriver?
-giggle

That`s worse than my dad, but he has a tool box to put his tools in -BOTH OF THEM!

:D

I changed my amp and it still won't power on, anyone have any more ideas

Ok, i still can't get my radio to work, i changed the amp and that didn't fix it, i did figure out that when the key is off if you push the DSP button then push the clock button it will display the time as long as you hold the button down, and also when the key is off the button to eject a cassette works, other than that nothing works, is it possible i have a bad speaker

Greetings, cool site !

I am a factory Ford/Visteon trained electronics repair technician. I've been immersed in blue oval audio for 8 years and my partner in crime has spent 22 years at the bench fixing Ford audio.

Any JBL-LUX(front head unit, rear amp which is actually the radio) with DSP is basically a computer. The front and rear talk to each other on a continual basis even when the radio is off. These unit convert analog to digital and back to analog(ADA), all with software.

Any lock-up or funky audio freaky control problems are software issues and both units(front and rear) need to be reprogrammed. They are a matched pair so swapping front or rear will not solve problems. Sometimes a hard reset, removing battery with ground left connected, over night will help for a while.

If the front control panel doesn't have DSP then they are not a matched set and reprograming is not an issue.

Hope this helps.:)

Tried leaving the battery unhooked overnight, still won't work, even tried it with the original amp, i also checked and all the speakers in my doors are good, do you have any more advice on what i could try or who i could take it to that wouldn't charge me an arm and a leg

No help on the arm and a leg part. All the service centers have fixed rates for reprograming. An actually only one can do it, Royal Radio in Michigan 800-367-3393---800-482-0821 in Michigan. They will need model # of both units. I dont know what they charge, but they ar the direct source for this type of service.

Well thanks, i will have to try them

Back