BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

thanx Curtis, will try that when it gets back from the shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I was searching A/C problems for my girlfriends expedition on an expedition forum and came across the BWM.... don't ask me how, but I did.

And I will probably be doing this tomorrow or next week at the latest... I don't want to burn tires, just want to have that control over my 4WD..

And I agree with what someone said on page 12... not sure how some of you guys could keep your cool after the same questioned being asked over and over and over.... I got all my answers just from reading 17 pages.. ha

Well I can't wait to do this... thanks to who originally found this!

I tried doing this today and i got the 30 amp relay and the relay didn't have any numbers on it like yours did it had one prong on top and the three others in a row on the bottom could you help me out to explain which wires go to which prongs and p.s what wire do you tap into on the 4 by 4 harness thanks again.
-Alan

I just took out fuses 17 and 18 and when I do I have 2x4 but the light on the 4x4 low light comes on, is this normal?

would this mod work on an AWD explorer?

Can I just splice the brown wire add a simple on / off switch and not have a relay and be fine?

Ok so I bought a lighted switch got a power wire to run to the switch but now im confused from here what goes into the ground and what goes into the load/acc. Im trying to do this without a relay. Help!!

Never mind I just went on got a basic on off switch works perfect. I never thought a 4.0 explorer could do burnouts lol, Im gona have to keep my foot light dont want to burn out the clutch packs

I'm really interested in doing the BWM but I've done very little electrical wiring before. Is there any special kind of wires needed?

Just buy a simple on off switch not a lighted one split the brown wire plug it into the switch and call it a day. Just use copper wire, buy a few feet from any hardware store

I did this mod 2 days ago with a simple on/off switch and i love it

ok i bought a 12v10 amp lighted rocker switch from murrays auto parts, got it all hooked up and grounded and the switch didnt light. when the tcase/auto 4x4 is off at the switch will i still have lights lit up on my dash like i get when i pull fuse 17 and 18? if not, i dont know how to test to see if the mod worked seeing as i just got new tires and theres no dirt roads around me. also, does it matter which wire goes to power and which goes to load at the switch?

thank you

also, does it matter which wire goes to power and which goes to load at the switch?

thank you
I believe the "power" wire comes FROM the control box behind the glove box, and the "load" goes TO the Tcase.

i just have a quick question about the BWM that's been driving me crazy. i just did this mod about a week ago and when i went to test it <burned out:)> only one tire was spinning i looked at my inatrument cluster and noticed that the 4x4 high was on. assuming i must of pressed the 4x4 high button instead of the 4x4 auto. so thinking the mod was a success and me just not paying attention i just left it. then while doing a little off roading i punched it to whip the back end around but a few second later 4x4 high light came on and only one tire was driving the vehicle again, so obviously my 4x4 is activating with the BWM causing no front wheels to spin, just one rear wheel. So my question is why is my 4x4 high activating by itself with the BWM? has anyone else had this problem?

i just have a quick question about the BWM that's been driving me crazy. i just did this mod about a week ago and when i went to test it <burned out:)> only one tire was spinning i looked at my inatrument cluster and noticed that the 4x4 high was on. assuming i must of pressed the 4x4 high button instead of the 4x4 auto. so thinking the mod was a success and me just not paying attention i just left it. then while doing a little off roading i punched it to whip the back end around but a few second later 4x4 high light came on and only one tire was driving the vehicle again, so obviously my 4x4 is activating with the BWM causing no front wheels to spin, just one rear wheel. So my question is why is my 4x4 high activating by itself with the BWM? has anyone else had this problem?

not sure about the lights, but it seems you dont have a limited slip rear end, hence one wheel turning.
You'd need a limited slip (or also known as Posi) rear end for both wheels to spin. It was an option and included sometimes with the larger towing package/class III hitch.

Your axle code is on a sticker on the drivers door jamb.

Axle Codes

L - Limited Slip Differential
C - Conventional Differential

Code ... Ratio
41 ...... 3.27C
42 ...... 4.10C
43 ...... 3.08C
45 ...... 3.55C
46 ...... 3.73C
D1 ...... 3.27L
D2 ...... 4.10L
D4 ...... 3.73L
D5 ...... 3.55L

quick question im highly leaning towards swapping my axles for the LS right now I have the 3.55c which would be better to change to 3.73L or 3.55L? Also is this something that is direct swap out? Friend said he did it on his old car and it was just replacing the axle and thats it.... I do a mix of city/hwy and dont tow anything looking for better performance and mpg. and a posi rear :)

quick question im highly leaning towards swapping my axles for the LS right now I have the 3.55c which would be better to change to 3.73L or 3.55L? Also is this something that is direct swap out? Friend said he did it on his old car and it was just replacing the axle and thats it.... I do a mix of city/hwy and dont tow anything looking for better performance and mpg. and a posi rear :)

If your explorer is 4x4, then you need to stick with the same ratio that it came with, 3.55.... other wise you'd be in trouble with the front wheels turning a different speed than the rears.

The lower the ratio, the higher the mileage.

If your explorer is 4x4, then you need to stick with the same ratio that it came with, 3.55.... other wise you'd be in trouble with the front wheels turning a different speed than the rears.

The lower the ratio, the higher the mileage.

So would it be possible to change to 3.55LS from 3.55C? If so anything else have to be changed/adjusted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So would it be possible to change to 3.55LS from 3.55C? If so anything else have to be changed/adjusted?

There are no electronics involved in the gear ratios so that switch should be fine. I cant think of anything other than the gears that would have to be changed.

Back