BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im hoping this works for 04! I dont need the 4wd in FL and it would be nice to turn it off. My X isnt AWD, at least I dont think so cause I have 4x4 Auto, 4x4 high and 4x4 Low buttons.

I do plan to give this a try but need to get the time to spend on a saturday to do it.

If you have those three buttons you are not AWD, and you are good to go.

Now that's what I wanted to hear and if any MPG will be saved that's where it will count the most, all that engaging and disengaging does consume more gas that makes sense to me. and for the time it will take to do this mod that will be worth it. Besides once you do this mod if you don't want it on and you want the truck do decide weather or not to engage 4x4 just turn the switch of...simple!:thumbsup:

I want to do this so bad because my father disconnected his 4x4CM until we get a new one because of flashing 4x4 lights. After disconnecting it he gets about 420 miles / tank on the highway... im lucky to get 320 in mine. Both are 4.6L 4x4's.

Thanks for the writeup. I'll give you 6 months of Elite Explorer privileges for it. I do have a request though. Once your Elite membership is active, please upload the photos to this site, so the photos will always stay with the thread.

Im hoping this works for 04! I dont need the 4wd in FL and it would be nice to turn it off. My X isnt AWD, at least I dont think so cause I have 4x4 Auto, 4x4 high and 4x4 Low buttons.

I do plan to give this a try but need to get the time to spend on a saturday to do it.

4x4 Auto is just the same as AWD well almost the same except for the fact that the computer decides if it engaes or not where AWD is all 4 tires turning all the time.

Besides once you do this mod if you don't want it on and you want the truck do decide weather or not to engage 4x4 just turn the switch of...simple!

Am I right by saying that? if you turn the switch off everything is back to normal and everything works just like from the factory.

Thanks

OK. First AWD and 4x4 have some differences. 4x4 sends (usually) equal power to the front axle and the rear axle. It is usually split 40/60 - 50/50. If one wheel slips on the rear axle, then all the power goes to that spinning wheel. The same is true for the front axle. (This holds true unless you have a limited slip differential. Then it is slightly different.)
In AWD, if a wheel slips, the power is redistributed to the wheels that have the most grip. That causes the other wheels to move the vehicle and stop or slow the spinning wheel. This is done either electronically or by fluid(older subarus). That is the basic difference between the two.
If the switch is in the "ON" position, you have 4x4 capability. So "OFF" is 2x4. I mentioned this earlier.
Jared G.

Other than burnouts. There is really no benefit, right?

I think you would get a little better mpg...
And also, It would rid my X of "incorrectly" going into 4x4 when making tight turns on dry pavement and getting that "hop".

IIt would rid my X of "incorrectly" going into 4x4 when making tight turns on dry pavement and getting that "hop".

I hate the lag it causes. :splat:
It's bad enough that the throttle response is crap, that little lag slows you down even more.

I can see it now, auto parts stores having higher sales of switches and relays this month. :D

Well how I understand it and have read (ill look for the article), our Auto 4x4 is really 2x4. We have a computer that is reading 50 times a second of whats going on. If you all of a sudden drive a little aggressive, the module reads your intentions and will AUTOmatically send power to the front, before any wheel spin. If you drive in a straight line and always easy on the gas on dry pavement, you will always be in 2wd. Turning etc is a different story. We have whats called part-time 4x4. We dont have a viscious coupling.

The interesting thing about this setup is that it can tranfer up 100% of the torque front wheels if needed. The way this intelligent transfer case module responds to traction I think is one of a kind. Your traditional traction control actually applies brakes to the wheels via ABS computer... which slows you down. I think some of the later 3rd gend have that.

I love my 02' because I dont have traction control and I can put the power down and there is no holding the power back. I have been in the mud, mat the peddle, and its off like its on rails. LOVE IT. That is basically the entire reason I have decided to keep modding this X. As long as I can keep the drive train together, I can have 800whp and every bit of it will be useable and not up in smoke. In an AWD.... if you have enough power... guess what.... you will light up all four wheels. I disconnected my tranfer case module ones while I was locked in 4x4... and I literally lit up all four corners and got a little sideways... on my 295-40-20's. And in Auto mode... it just rips out of the hole.

I raced a VERY sooped up STI WRX a few months back in the rain. When we came off the line... I absolutly destroyed him, I watched him get a little sideways because even his AWD system spun tires, and I was GONE... lights out... off the jump I instantly took about two car lenths and he had no chance of catching me.... let off at about 80mph and he was about a block away. As he drove by he rolled down his window and he had the BIGGEST grin on his face with a thumbs up... he could not believe it. Moral of the story... enough power even on an AWD, you will sit and spin.... this part-time 4X4 system, is like nothing else. For a street application, its untouchable.... even the GC STR8's have traction problems, the ones that are getting up there in power.

So thats why I have decided to take this project to the moon. We basically have a 4-door Mustang with unpresidented traction.

I hate the lag it causes. :splat:
It's bad enough that the throttle response is crap

fly-by wire? What year did they introduce that to? I think 04's?

Well how I understand it and have read (ill look for the article), our Auto 4x4 is really 2x4. We have a computer that is reading 50 times a second of whats going on. If you all of a sudden drive a little aggressive, the module reads your intentions and will AUTOmatically send power to the front, before any wheel spin. If you drive in a straight line and always easy on the gas on dry pavement, you will always be in 2wd. Turning etc is a different story. We have whats called part-time 4x4. We dont have a viscious coupling.

The interesting thing about this setup is that it can tranfer up 100% of the torque front wheels if needed. The way this intelligent transfer case module responds to traction I think is one of a kind. Your traditional traction control actually applies brakes to the wheels via ABS computer... which slows you down. I think some of the later 3rd gend have that.

I love my 02' because I dont have traction control and I can put the power down and there is no holding the power back. I have been in the mud, mat the peddle, and its off like its on rails. LOVE IT. That is basically the entire reason I have decided to keep modding this X. As long as I can keep the drive train together, I can have 800whp and every bit of it will be useable and not up in smoke. In an AWD.... if you have enough power... guess what.... you will light up all four wheels. I disconnected my tranfer case module ones while I was locked in 4x4... and I literally lit up all four corners and got a little sideways... on my 295-40-20's. And in Auto mode... it just rips out of the hole.

I raced a VERY sooped up STI WRX a few months back in the rain. When we came off the line... I absolutly destroyed him, I watched him get a little sideways because even his AWD system spun tires, and I was GONE... lights out... off the jump I instantly took about two car lenths and he had no chance of catching me.... let off at about 80mph and he was about a block away. As he drove by he rolled down his window and he had the BIGGEST grin on his face with a thumbs up... he could not believe it. Moral of the story... enough power even on an AWD, you will sit and spin.... this part-time 4X4 system, is like nothing else. For a street application, its untouchable.... even the GC STR8's have traction problems, the ones that are getting up there in power.

So thats why I have decided to take this project to the moon. We basically have a 4-door Mustang with unpresidented traction.

could not have worded it better to agree with u on the versatility of explorers... out of everyone on this site though, u have gone over and beyond the expectations of quite a few of the members on here... 800hp is pretty steep and i dont doubt for a second that u burn all four corners... please video it and post it on streetfire.net please hahah i just really wanna check that out cuz ive seen 800hp cars fly and i would love to see a nicely-modded explorer thrown in the mix... nice work on urs and an sti cant handle a V8... as a noble friend of mine once said "THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT"

could not have worded it better to agree with u on the versatility of explorers... out of everyone on this site though, u have gone over and beyond the expectations of quite a few of the members on here... 800hp is pretty steep and i dont doubt for a second that u burn all four corners... please video it and post it on streetfire.net please hahah i just really wanna check that out cuz ive seen 800hp cars fly and i would love to see a nicely-modded explorer thrown in the mix... nice work on urs and an sti cant handle a V8... as a noble friend of mine once said "THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT"

Absolutly!!!

Maybe the way I worded my statement came out wrong... I dont have 800whp YET... But I was saying the day I do.... I'm confident that it will be 800whp usable hp with traction, with a bullet proof drive train of course.

The four wheel rip was with my current set up, well before I did these last mods (still in tuning mode). I estimate I had about 350ish to the wheels when I did that... Right now, I should break 400whp, ill know soon enough. BTW, no one has broken the 400whp mark on a 2v 4.6 block M90 no nitrous application. The closest has been a Mustang that layed down 398 and a T-Bird did like 378. But they lacked a few mods that I have, like the big bore, and they were over spinning the m90 with to small of a blower pulley and losing boost. Ill be spinning the blower faster but since I went with a huge 8.5'' dampner I can achieve the same or better blower RPMs as them but on a MUCH bigger blower pulley, and its 8 rib. Another problem they had was the heat the m90 generates at over 20k rpms.... well im going to spray water/meth to turn off the fire.... So im going for broke.

Im selling this blower at around Feb and I have decided to go twin turbo... thats where I got the 800rwhp from :)

Absolutly!!!

Maybe the way I worded my statement came out wrong... I dont have 800whp YET... But I was saying the day I do.... I'm confident that it will be 800whp usable hp with traction, with a bullet proof drive train of course.

The four wheel rip was with my current set up, well before I did these last mods (still in tuning mode). I estimate I had about 350ish to the wheels when I did that... Right now, I should break 400whp, ill know soon enough. BTW, no one has broken the 400whp mark on a 2v 4.6 block M90 no nitrous application. The closest has been a Mustang that layed down 398 and a T-Bird did like 378. But they lacked a few mods that I have, like the big bore, and they were over spinning the m90 with to small of a blower pulley and losing boost. Ill be spinning the blower faster but since I went with a huge 8.5'' dampner I can achieve the same or better blower RPMs as them but on a MUCH bigger blower pulley, and its 8 rib. Another problem they had was the heat the m90 generates at over 20k rpms.... well im going to spray water/meth to turn off the fire.... So im going for broke.

Im selling this blower at around Feb and I have decided to go twin turbo... thats where I got the 800rwhp from :)

Are you saying this mod is useless?:roll:

Are you saying this mod is useless?:roll:

Hell no.. I love it. Theres nothing like a nice burn out, fish tailing and a good dyno number :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much do u think u would sell it for?

It all depends on what I end up selling with it... but im ball parking between 2-3k.

Back