Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by P. doggy, September 10, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. engineeering

engineeering Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      06 explorer xlt 4x4
      Had it happen to my Ranger. I think I pulled the lock cylinder and dropped it in clr. Worked great for a bit then did it again. Swapped it out for a new one.

If it is only "not releasing"... (not actually jamming)... then it is probably your park switch. My 06 gen iv did this and it was a switch in the floor shifter that engaged power to to lock cylinder only to release the key. I think you have a steering column shifter so it may be a short connection to that switch if you have the same lock switch functionality equipped. I hate that thing and would love to disable it... on my to do list... now with a manual... I have no floor shifter. So I have to press a button to remove my key :( lol.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Fuller

Fuller New Member

City, State:
      Salisbury Mass
      02 xlt
    4. damienlike

damienlike New Member

City, State:
      sellersburg, IN
      2002 xlt
      Well I have read every post on the infamous Brown Wire Mod, and I'm still as confused as ever. I have checked on replacing the Traction Control Module, but at $280.00, I think I'll pass. I want to do the mod to save time, trouble, and money, but have some questions. On the TCM behind the glove compartment, there are two plug ins. If you are staring at the module, the plug in on the right has a brown wire, is this the wire in question? Or, do I try to find it in the door sill? Or, is there someplace better to find it? For whatever reason, most of the pictures for the posts do not show up.

Any help will be appreciated,

Pat

Last edited: August 16, 2016
    5. Joe in NY

Joe in NY Active Member

City, State:
      Binghamton, NY
      2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
      That is the brown wire. I don't know why they tear into the door sill for it..

• Like Like x 1
    6. damienlike

damienlike New Member

City, State:
      sellersburg, IN
      2002 xlt
      So the brown wire on the right hand side of the TCM is the wire that I'm looking for? Do you happen to know, when the wire is cut, which end is going to be hot? The side going towards the center of the Explorer, or the end coming out of the TCM?

And thank you Joe for lining this out.

7. engineeering

06 explorer xlt 4x4
      I know some people say this mod betters mpg. But I don't see how that is possible. If it does... I certainly haven't seen it yet at the pump. All it does is disengage the power to the front at the tcase (which is pretty awesome and the reason I did it). But all the components are still turning at the front so I don't see the mpg benefit.

Ps. My biggest reason for this mod on my 3rd Gen is so I can pull my trailer in low gear on pavement (avoids the jumping while cornering and is much easier on the truck). With 4.56 gears and this mod... I can throw it in low gear at almost idle... and my truck has the torque to pull my 3500lb trailer up a 15% grade at walking speed ;)

8. engineeering

06 explorer xlt 4x4
      @awdrocks
      I would like to see more about the 800rwhp! Don't want to sidetrack the forum... but postup or pm a link over to some build info. Curious how you made this happen. I'm guessing at least a 4.6L or bigger with big boost and some extensive internal mods. I can't get much more than 325 at the crank with my blown 4.0L. Thanks!

9. spencer5650

spencer5650 New Member

City, State:
      Bedford, Indiana
      2002 Explorer XLT
      OK, so I did the BWM yesterday on my 02, and I have problems. I used a 4 terminal relay (all I could find around here) and this is how I wired it. #86 ground, #85 power from switch, #30 & #87 to the cut ends of the brown wire. This is how I wired the switch. Top to ground, center to relay #85, bottom to the purple wire from the 4x4 switch assy. I turned on the ignition and the switch worked, so I turn off the ignition, close up the dash and plan to take a test drive. Now the switch no longer works, so I check all the connections, allnis well. Next I test the purple wirple wire from the 4wd switch assy, no power. Also, my ABS light is now on and there is a delay for the radio to power up. So I take everything out, and just hook up an on-off switch the the brown wire, same results. What did I do wrong?

10. Trevorthompson

Trevorthompson New Member

City, State:
      Canada
      2003 explorer limited
      Why cant i see the pics ?

11. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      Because people use 3rd party picture hosting sites, vs. paying $20/year to have explorerforum host them. They either delete the pictures on their end, or the host site changes settings/rules.

12. Trevorthompson

Trevorthompson New Member

City, State:
      Canada
      2003 explorer limited