and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cabin fuse box location

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2017 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Dave_2011_bronze, April 18, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dave_2011_bronze

Dave_2011_bronze New Member

City, State:
      Oakville Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      access interior fuse panel?

Has anyone tried to change a fuse yet? I need to be double jointed just to see the fuse panel. I could not get my two hands on it as there are so many large pin connectors to maneuver around in a tight area. I spoke with 3 different Service Advisers in 3 different dealerships as well as 1 Electrical technician. I got the same answer from them all. "We never had to do it, but I imagine it won't be easy". Has anyone looked at it or even attempted to access it?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tomg4121

tomg4121 New Member

City, State:
      SE PA
      Year and Model:
      2011 XLT
      where exactly is it? I know it's supposed to be below the steering wheel to the left, but I don't see any access panel.

4. Dave_2011_bronze

Dave_2011_bronze New Member

City, State:
      Oakville Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      You have to lie on your back and look up under the dash to the drivers left. There are no access panels like before. It is already an issue for me.

5. JustB_Rad

JustB_Rad Active Member

City, State:
      Milwaukee WI
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer XLT
      Its actually mounted to the outside part of the footwell, so it faces the center council. I hope I never have to replace a fuse, because not only is it hard to get to, but it's very hard to identify what is what.

6. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      Year and Model:
      '11 XLT
      It's definitely not placed with easy service in mind. You have to be a contortionist to access it. :(

7. dco43054

dco43054 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      cmh
      Year and Model:
      16 XLT
      Interesting. I haven't even been able to see the thing yet. And MFT just went haywire this afternoon and won't do any voice commands.

I called the customer service line and they guy didn't even know where the fuse panel was. Going to go lay in the wheel well and see if I can even see the thing. I'm wondering if you pull the two screws on the apron under the steering wheel if you can then at least see the thing?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
      p.s.

OK - so I found it. You have to lay on your back with your shoulders on the driver's side floor and look up above the parking brake foot pedal. Slide the driver's seat all the way back. Take your favorite flashlight along. The fuseblock is behind a plastic cover and sits horizonally along the sidewall. In the cover is a little pair of of plastic "tweezers" which you will need to get the fuse out/in.

And while you are laying there, enjoy the feeling of the driver's seat rail in your back!!!:mad:

Last edited: May 11, 2011
    8. EKavanagh

EKavanagh New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 XLT
      Radio problem - fixed

dco43054 - THANK YOU!

My radio (and all audio, including phone) inexplicably stopped working yesterday. When I finally found the fuse box, all it took was removing fuse 29 (which was fine) and putting it back in. That caused Sync to reboot and everything is now working.

Ed

9. krayzie32

krayzie32 New Member

City, State:
      VA
      Year and Model:
      11 XLT
      I've searched these forums and google and I still can not find my fuse box. I keep seeing "below and left of steering wheel near the brake pedal"... I do not see anything except for 2 screws that that are holding a large black panel together, which goes up to the steering wheel. I would like to pull the sync fuse in hopes of sync behaving correctly.

Thanks

10. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      It's above the parking brake, not the normal brake and its mounted so that it would be parallel to the drivers legs when the driver is seated in the driver's seat. There is a black cover that needs to be removed.

11. plex

plex New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2011 LTD
      2011 Explorer Fuse Box Locatioin

I've looked very carefully everywhere above both brake pedals, and cannot for the life of me find the fuse box. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

12. NEWPORTNJ

NEWPORTNJ Active Member

City, State:
      JERSEY CITY
      Year and Model:
      2014 TUXEDO BLK LTD 302A
      Look at the manual book mybe the canaidian model has it in a differnt place ?? But in mine's it's in right by the brake pedal right above check hard with a flash light !!

13. kdog

kdog New Member

City, State:
      Kailua, HI
      Year and Model:
      2011 LTD
      It's not really easy to see, and definitely not as large as old fuse panels were, but it is right above the brake pedal. Grab a flashlight and lay down on the floor mat. :)

14. sapes

sapes New Member

City, State:
      Santa Rosa, CA
      Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      Volume on radio stopped working

Yesterday mid drive my wife reported the radio suddenly had no volume control. There was a weak signal but it drowned out at any speed. Neither the dial or the steering wheel rocker worked. I verified this with my key. No audio imput would work. The system worked, but not the volume.

After some contorsion I found the fuse box (thanks to this site), pulled number five which is for the amplifier, which was fine, reseated it and restarted the car. The volume came right back up.

I don't know if the fuse actually worked its way loose (and if it is even possible to have the radio work at all under that condition - didn't check, too freaking uncomfortable), or, if it was a SW bug and it just needed a total reboot. I know for sure the SW is very buggy.

Still, I LOVE that Sony sound system. It is by far the best stereo I own and I would absolutely go out to my car to listen to music. Unbelievable bass quality.

15. krayzie32

krayzie32 New Member

City, State:
      VA
      Year and Model:
      11 XLT
      So do I have to get on my back and look up to see it? I still can not find the box... can someone post a picture of the box location? My touchscreen is now black and will not turn on and I am 100+ miles away from any dealership... thanks for any help.

16. kdog

kdog New Member

City, State:
      Kailua, HI
      Year and Model:
      2011 LTD
      Sort of. It's a b**** to get to.

FWIW, I posted this in another thread but I finally had Ford open up my dash to get a PN off the module. They discovered it wasn't plugged in all the way, causing me all the headaches with MFT/Sync. Once they plugged it in - smoooooth sailing.

17. lookgoodn43

lookgoodn43 New Member

City, State:
      Mirabel,Qc, Canada
      Year and Model:
      2011 XLT AWD Explorer
      Canadian model is in the same location.......

18. StunnedMonkey

StunnedMonkey Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Wayne, IN
      Year and Model:
      2011 XLT
      I've never found it on my EX either. I think it requires the agility of a trapeze artist to get to. Like you, I can't even find it, let alone get into it. I've given up. If you're trying to reset MFT I think disconnecting the battery for a few minutes accomplishes pretty much the same thing. That's what I do anyway.

19. krayzie32

krayzie32 New Member

City, State:
      VA
      Year and Model:
      11 XLT
      I heard disconnecting the battery is not a good idea.... However, since I'm on vacation and not close to a mechanic, I might have to resort to that.

Any other advice/pictures on where to find the fuse box?

Thanks

20. calabrese94

calabrese94 New Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn NY
      Year and Model:
      11 limited white 302A
      It on the left hand side on top and it not that far deep from the panel

21. harlenm

harlenm Active Member

City, State:
      Shelton, CT
      Year and Model:
      2013 Limited(lemon swap)
      If you look up under the peddles to the left, along the side of the car, you'll find it. Here is a pic, a little blurry, but you'll get the idea.

[​IMG]

22. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

lol.. this thread just highlights the stupidity of the engineers that designed the location for the panel that houses "user replaceable fuses"... I mean come on. I've never had a car that I had to bend my body 3 different ways to find the panel, and another 2 ways to actually be able to replace a fuse on.

Why isn't this panel under the plastic piece on the left side of the dash? There is plenty of room in there and you can actually access it without being a circus actor.

I feel sorry for anybody that is over 6'2", or over 250lbs... cause there's almost no way they are going to be able to get into a position to identify the correct fuse and pull it. And if they do, getting it back in is going to take a miracle.

I know!!! The fuse box placement must have been part of the engineering group that developed MFT!! :)

23. krayzie32

krayzie32 New Member

City, State:
      VA
      Year and Model:
      11 XLT
      harlenm,

The picture helped me tremendously. I was looking in the wrong place and at the incorrect angle. The box is on the far left (looking as if you are driving) behind a bundle of wires and parallel to your body up against the left side of the vehicle. You don't have to get on your back, just your right side looking toward your left.

I found fuse 29, fired up the SUV and now everything is working again.

Thank you again harlenm. You saved me hours of silence in my 7 hour drive back home and now the wife won't be pissed off anymore about the SUV :D

24. harlenm

harlenm Active Member

City, State:
      Shelton, CT
      Year and Model:
      2013 Limited(lemon swap)
      Glad I could help.

25. mattvalento

mattvalento New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 XLT
      i had similar problems as everyone else with the mytouch system, so i disconnected the negative battery lead for a few minutes and restarted. everything works fine now. in the future i'll search for the fuse box (thanks to this forus, i finally know where it is...no thanks to the owner's manual), but in a pinch you can try the battery.

26. GWA1

GWA1 Active Member

City, State:
      New Castle, DE
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer Limited AWD
      If MFT is not frozen you can do a master reset. See this thread

http//www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325154&highlight=master+reset