Caliper brake bolt backed out! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper brake bolt backed out!

I never had one caliper bolt "back out". Maybe because I never use antiseize on them...
My guess for the Dorman ones was that they are too soft/plastic and the threads "give" instead of staying pressed one in outher by the original torque.

This happens for example when you screw some steel bolts in aluminum - aluminum threads "give" a little bit in time and those bolts need to be retighten after one-two weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess in KS you don't brake that often? ;)

I guess in KS you don't brake that often? ;)

lol, I'm harder on my brakes than 99% of the people on the forum. That being said I take care of them and check the bolts every now and then. I never had a problem with my dorman bolts backing out at all though, they were tight every time I checked them. My guess is those 2 guys didn't torque them down enough.

Yep, I don't know... I never had to replace one of my bolts, always tight'em right. But no "antiseize" or even grease on them!

I've had the Dorman bolts in since my last post to this thread with no issues....I as well keep a spare set in my glove box just incase though

Don't buy the Dorman ones. Read the two reviews there...
Ford/Motorcraft has a caliper bolt kit. Expensive.

The dorman ones are fine. They are exact replicas of the ones used by ford. The average weekend mechanic, (i'm talking AVERAGE) probably doesn't have a 1/2 drive ratchet or doesn't use one. They most likely only used a 3/8 drive with a small handle and torque them down as hard as they could which probably is only 60-75 ft/lbs (estimate). You really either need to be a big ol boy or use a long handle wrench to tighten these down ( I use a long handle torque wrench). I had to buy these for mine when a shop over tightened mine using an impact gun. It had to be on there with at least 150 ft/lbs of torque. I ended up stripping one using a 6 point socket. (it wasn't fully seated or it wiggle out when I changed positions to get better leverage). I even tried my bolt out kit, but it was in there so tight that the bolt out sockets just grinded material away from the bolt head. I ended up going to the local U-pull junkyard and getting a whole new spindle assembly.

This just happened to me as well, a week after I had new tires put on..

The dorman ones are fine. They are exact replicas of the ones used by ford. The average weekend mechanic, (i'm talking AVERAGE) probably doesn't have a 1/2 drive ratchet or doesn't use one. They most likely only used a 3/8 drive with a small handle and torque them down as hard as they could which probably is only 60-75 ft/lbs (estimate). You really either need to be a big ol boy or use a long handle wrench to tighten these down ( I use a long handle torque wrench). I had to buy these for mine when a shop over tightened mine using an impact gun. It had to be on there with at least 150 ft/lbs of torque. I ended up stripping one using a 6 point socket. (it wasn't fully seated or it wiggle out when I changed positions to get better leverage). I even tried my bolt out kit, but it was in there so tight that the bolt out sockets just grinded material away from the bolt head. I ended up going to the local U-pull junkyard and getting a whole new spindle assembly.

It doesn't need 150 ft/lb. For my 98, the service manual says 72-97 ft/lb. I always use 85 which is in the middle. But I never use antiseize on it. The torque wrench is cheap. Menards sells it for under $10. Do use it.

Back