Calling all NC Wheelers!!!!!!!! | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling all NC Wheelers!!!!!!!!

Ohhh, my grandfather was at that hospital then was transferred to Presb. on brookshire for heart problems

i want to go camping, as long as the trails are'nt insane, i may be up for it.
My X seems to be at the same height as yours, so i guess it could take it....

Anything local that is fun, i think ive heard of some stuff out in denver?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics are from Linville Gorge less than 2 hours from Huntersville. Take Morganton exit off I-40, take 181 north for about 8 miles and you can pickup a stone road that climbs up to Table Rock Mountain. I don't know any serious trails yet mainly winding stone roads. Theres a couple water falls and alot of hiking trails if your into that. We mainly like to take long slow drives (with a cooler of course) around some of the stone roads. The Parkway is not far away and that is always a good drive, Brown Mountain OHV Park is also real close but my truck needs some work before I get that serious.

Only thing in Denver is about 14 miles of four lane Highway (new 16) thats unfinished. State ran out of money and from what I've heard won't have any until 2010. It's not much fun now but if we ever get rain you can do all the mudding you can stand.

Theres a few other X owners on here from NC maybe we can get a group together and go up to the mountains. We could make a run to Brown Mountain for the guys that have the bigger trucks and want to do some technical stuff. I'll get on another post that some of them follow and see if we can do a fall trip.

Anybody up for a Fall outing in the mountains?

Thinking Linville Gorge area for some backwoods camping, light wheeling and awesome views. Brown Mountain would be close by if anybody wants. If interested start throwing some dates out and lets see what we can put together.

Anybody want to help me swap out my rear axle? ;) I'll be in a full arm cast for most of October anyway, so alas, I still can't do anything. :(

Anybody want to help me swap out my rear axle? ;) I'll be in a full arm cast for most of October anyway, so alas, I still can't do anything. :(

Ouch! whats up with that?

Is your X dead or just wanting upgrade?

A fall trip would be nice. I would like to Hit up GWNF again.

Long story short, I screwed up when I replaced the pinion seal. It lasted about 30k miles though, and started leaking again. I take it to a shop to get it replaced, just to get me down the road a little further, and he gave it back to me worse than when I gave it to him. Now I'm not comfortable driving it, but I've got a junkyard 3.73 in the garage waiting to go in.

Oh, and I'm having some re-constructive surgery on my wrist, thus the upcoming cast. Obviously the rear end needs to go in before the cast goes on, if at all possible. Otherwise it'll be spring before I can do it.

I'll do it. With or without your helping hand(s). PM me and we will set it up.

That'd be cool. I'm trying to get my shed finished first, so I can clear out the garage ... and cross one project off my list. I might actually need more help when (or if) I decide to replace my seals and add some TMH's. I'll definitely keep the offer in mind. Thanks!

I'll do it. With or without your helping hand(s). PM me and we will set it up.

I shoulda taken you up on this offer. It about kicked my butt, but I got it done. 2 days to spare before my surgery too! :)

At least its done.

... and hopefully for the last time! ;)

Or until you forget it's NOT a boat and take it sailing.

I heard URE was on fire Sunday. Anyone else hear that?

Hadn't seen anything about it. Not a surprise, given the rain (or lack of).

Nothings been on the local Charlotte news about it. Nothing on http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/ either, they would have the latest updates on fires on National Forest land. When they had fires up in the Pisgah area earlier this year they would give the exact location of the fire on a map.

This drought has really made for a miserable summer. Most all the public docks at Lake Norman are closed. Lake St. James by Morganton has banned all swimming. All camp fires on any State or Federal land has been banned. We want to go camping but where we go in the mountains its all dried up, between the fires and lack of water it looks like winter, not the pretty trees and landscape to look at anymore.

Apparently it is true. OHV and other trails are closed, according to this:
http://www.uwharrieinfo.us/
Haven't found any "official" posting about this yet though.

My friend was the first call to 911 Sunday. Anyone want to ride down there when they get it under control? I'll take riders Joe.

We'll DEFINITELY have to meet up sometime, but I'll probably be drugged up on Vicodin for several days. Having surgery to fix my wrist tomorrow.

On another forest story, did anyone see the story about the scout troop who turned up a day late after a trip to Pisgah? Turns out the scoutmaster is a guy from my office. I haven't had a chance to raz him about it yet, as I didn't realize who it was. They did the right thing though! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We'll DEFINITELY have to meet up sometime, but I'll probably be drugged up on Vicodin for several days. Having surgery to fix my wrist tomorrow.

On another forest story, did anyone see the story about the scout troop who turned up a day late after a trip to Pisgah? Turns out the scoutmaster is a guy from my office. I haven't had a chance to raz him about it yet, as I didn't realize who it was. They did the right thing though! :thumbsup:

Ya they did exactly what scouts are tought, hunker down and wait for daylight. Wonder how many people would have splitup and kept trying to get out only to wind up in a really bad cituation. I would like to find out how long they had been lost or did they just wait too long to head out?

While on the subject anybody up for a fall outing?

Back