Can I pull travel trailer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I pull travel trailer?

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L V6.

I would like to know if I would be able to pull this trailer a couple hours away from my home.

MANUFACTURER Autumn Ridge
MODEL YEAR 2009
MODEL 181CK

WEIGHTS
GROSS VEHICLE WT RATING (GVWR) 5,800 lbs.
UNLOADED VEHICLE WT (UVW) TBD
CARGO CARRYING CAPACITY (CCC) TBD
HITCH WEIGHT TBD

MEASUREMENTS
LENGTH FEET 23
OVERALL LENGTH 23 ft. 1 in.
EXTERIOR HEIGHT 9 ft. 8 in.
EXTERIOR WIDTH 8 ft.
INTERIOR HEIGHT 6 ft. 8 in.
WHEELS/TIRES ST205/75R 14C
BODY
SLEEPING CAPACITY 7

OPERATIONAL
FRESH WATER CAPACITY 50 gal. including water heater
GRAY WATER CAPACITY 26 gal.
BLACK WATER CAPACITY 26 gal.
AIR CONDITIONER BTU RATING 13,500
FURNACE BTU RATING 19,000
WATER HEATER CAPACITY 6 gal.
PROPANE TANK CAPACITY (2) 20 lb. tanks

AXLE QUANTITY 2
EXTERIOR STORAGE Yes

Please let me know what you think I should do. Do you think that I would be able to handle this trailer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to put his in the first post but I have the class III/IV tow package on my truck. Looking in the manual it says that the 4.0L SOHC with a Class III/IV hitch Max trailer weight is 5380lbs and Max GCWR is 10000lb. With some mods do you think that I could make the ride a little easier.

I forgot to put his in the first post but I have the class III/IV tow package on my truck. Looking in the manual it says that the 4.0L SOHC with a Class III/IV hitch Max trailer weight is 5380lbs and Max GCWR is 10000lb. With some mods do you think that I could make the ride a little easier.

Changing the hitch does not constitute a "tow package". A tow package vehicle has lower axle gearing, an additional transmission cooler.

If you added a trans cooler and brake controller and keep it out of OD, you can probably do it, but you are on the edge of what you need to be towing.

imo its looking a little weak, even with the stock Tow package, the 3.73 gears will help. But that V6 would be a little thin looking at the numbers. Your right on the tow limit, but thats a big camper, don't forget to add frontal area to the calc - that would put you over the limit. If you just wanted to pull it once or twice a year maybe. . .weekly no way.

something like AR-ONE 16BH would be fine. . .only 2,500lbs, little smaller though.

Just to be sure I'd check the weight #'s as posted on the sticker on the driver's side door. Sometimes people install aftermarket Class III/IV tow-hitches onto vehicles not built with all the tow-package options.
And remember that water is 8lbs/gallon; i wouldn't be filling that reservoir up before the trip....

Assuming you actually have the Class III/IV tow package, then you have 10,000 lbs GCVWR (combined weight rating). Most travel trailers have a lot more cargo capacity than you will every really use. So you need to find out what the trailer weighs when loaded (if you already have the trailer), or add 800 lbs to the published dry/empty weight as a good typical estimate.

Subtract the estimated trailer weight from 10,000 lbs, and that is what your loaded Explorer can't exceed. Subtract the empty weight of the Explorer, leaving you with your passenger an truck-cargo capacity.

You'll probably need to keep the trailer to no more than aroud 4500 lbs to have any hope. But do the math.

we seem to have a tow package but not the transmission cooler. if i replace the transmission, which still works but has heat damage, and put in a cooler, then below 3000 pounds should be fine?

we seem to have a tow package but not the transmission cooler. if i replace the transmission, which still works but has heat damage, and put in a cooler, then below 3000 pounds should be fine?
Recommend you start a new thread, if this is actually a serious post.

Back