Can i put a floor jack under my differential? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can i put a floor jack under my differential?

KAiRO

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
82 CJ7
I've got a flat tire (in my garage thank god) and all I have at my disposal is a floor jack to get my 33" tire off the ground. The only place it will lift high enough I think is on the differential. I know I shoulden't put it on the pumpkin, but can lift from the tubes on the side?

()==[]==x=()
The box is the pumpkin and the () are the tires. Can i place my jack where the "x" is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I put my blocks on last summer thats where I put my floor jack.
When I took them off and installed my lift shackles I used the same place.

Isn't the pumpkin the differential?

yah but it can damage the diff casing (so i've heard)

I see. I thought the manual said to use the diffy for jacks, I've heard the same about the leaks. I use the differential when I jack and haven't had any problems .. yet.

yes put the jack where you have the 'x' basically, under the springs or as close to the outside of the axle as possible.

allrighty. thanks guys. It's a dana 44 so i wasen't too worried about breaking it, but you know what they say, better safe then sorry

What if you were to put up both sides though? Do you put that side on a stand and then proceed to jack the otherside up and put it on a stand too?

yes.. just chock the front wheels

i have jacked up every vehicle i have ever owned by the diffy. not saying its prudent, but thats what i did. i know my X has been lifted by it by me at least 20 times.

Thank you for the useful information.

Back