Can you plow 2 foot deep snow with a V6 explorer 4wd? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you plow 2 foot deep snow with a V6 explorer 4wd?

barnett468

Reaction score
City, State
wildomar clifornia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt
I have a 2007 Explorer with a 5 speed auto trans, 3.55 rear gears, 4.0 V6, 4 wheel drive, and standard size tires, and was wondering who has actually used an Explorer of any year with these options or with even larger tires to plow around 2 foot deep snow from a driveway etc a few times a week or any other experiences they have plowing snow with this vehicle.

I know that a truck with a V8 is better for doing this so I am not looking for alternative suggestions.

Also, if you have a photo of your setup please feel free to post it.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's a light snow - yes.
If it's a wet snow - no. You will spin your tires at some point and won't move.
If you are expecting 2 ft of snow, make a pass after a foot.
What plow ?
This is my very old video.

The engine is not an issue, the tranny is. Just take it easy and do not force it. Be careful with the reverse on the 5 speed, it's a weak link.

If it's a light snow - yes.
If it's a wet snow - no. You will spin your tires at some point and won't move.
If you are expecting 2 ft of snow, make a pass after a foot.
What plow ?

The engine is not an issue, the tranny is. Just take it easy and do not force it. Be careful with the reverse on the 5 speed, it's a weak link.

Wow, that's impressive and is exactly the type of situation and snow I was referring to. Is yours a V6. Thanks for the info.

No, mine is v8 with 6R60 which is a much better tranny. Have been doing that for the past 10 years and have 254k miles on the original one. I do not do any commercial plowing, just my driveway, some neighbors when they need help. Those cars v6 or v8, are not designed for constant abuse like superduties.
My son's is a v6, it was driven by a woman just to go to work and back, and the tranny went bad at 117k miles anyway. I bought it cheap with a broken transmission.

You will have major, major trouble pushing 2 feet. It simply won't happen. There isn't a plow tall enough to do this. It'll pile up in front of it, and you'll end up stuck behind the pile. I've done TONS of plowing in my old Mounty. I had lift, mud tires, and a LOT of commercial plowing experience. If you need to routinely move two feet of snow, do it with a different vehicle.

Its all in the approach and experience as I am sure Explorer_PL will attest to. I plow with my ATV and can move a windrow from the highway plows packing it along the driveway which is packed pretty good. I use Low range on my 4x4 ATV and I can move push as much as I want. However if you are pushing purely straight you get to the point where there is too much. Some of mine goes into a ditch. However if you angle your blade to shift it to the side a low is slipping off releasing the front load so you can go all the way on a driveway/lane etc

It takes practice and tires, traction, gearing all add to a successful plowing venture. If you are attempting with all season tires and expect the AWD to be great. STOP now and pay someone to do it.

......I do not recall how many times I was stuck, badly. The blade would run over the pile in the float mode and drop behind trapping snow between the bumper and the plow. Then the plow becomes an anchor. Also, when it gets to the freezing point, you spin the tires, produce some water, it freezes, and you are stuck as well. You need weight in the back, and the explorers are light back there.

Agreed with being stuck. If this is your only 4x4 you can expect to have a miserable time shoveling it out once or twice a year.

Agreed with being stuck. If this is your only 4x4 you can expect to have a miserable time shoveling it out once or twice a year.
That sounds like a good time to have someone handy with a video camera. Who wants to start a thread for those?

I was plowing really deep, thick snow once at a good clip and didn't realize I was accidentally toggling the 'up' switch. High centered myself greatly. Had to attempt to pull it out with the 3/4 ton chevy, which was utterly shameful. Ended up yanking it out with a Skidder. Good times.

Back