Canister purge valve. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Canister purge valve.

I'm not a mechanic, just am able to change/clean stuff if easy to get to. I'm on a really tight budget, so a brief explanation of how the catalytic converter, the mass air flow sensor and the resistance range of the engine coolant temperature sensor affect the system would help me out.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air enters the engine while exhaust goes out. Catalytic converters could get clogged with carbon after a while, and cause excessive back pressure. The mass air flow sensor, and the engine coolant temperature sensor control the mixture. A rich mixture will create excessive fumes, and make the vehicle feel like it's flooded.

Okay, thanks. I'll check these if I'm able. Do I need some kind of meters or gauges to check the sensors?

Okay, just read the article on how to clean the MAF sensor. I didn't see anything on the coolant temp sensor . . .

I have a chart in # 25 in my list of useful threads:
41928895.gif

Thanks. Looks like it's going to the shop, I don't have a meter. Since it's going to be there for the coolant temp sensor, I might as well have them go ahead and fix it. Now that I'm armed with enough info to keep them from taking me to the cleaners, I won't let them

Thanks, BrooklynBay, for all the info and help :)

I've decided that what I really should do is take it to Pep Boys for a complete diagnostic. They can tell me which part or parts are bad and then I can replace them - after all, it's the labor that's really expensive.

Thanks again

K

P1443 Code - Cannister Purge Valve

Check Engine light is on and we replaced the cannister purge valve. Light is still on. Should I run a smoke test before going any further with guesses as to why the light is on? Just bought the truck for my kid so I don't know much about it. 96 Ranger Super Cab, 4.0 5 speed. Thanks.

Back