• Register Today It's free!

Canister vent valve location

Ziggy75

Reaction score
City, State
Reed City - Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited 4.6
I have a 2006 4.6 with the p0446 evap issue. I was trying to find the vent valve to disassemble and clean. I found some information regarding an older model which refers to over the spare tire. I looked over tire but don't see it. I believe I found it next to tank near or under rear passenger door. Is this it? It didn't appear like you could pull it without pulling tank. Is this true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody knows

This appears to be an older model. I am almost certain that the location is different between the two. I am also certain that what I found next to the gas tank is the evap setup. But I just dont see how the darn thing will come out.

I will have to get under there again and take a look. From what I remember seeing, the canister and valve was directly above the drive shaft. I did find a bunch of corrosion on pigtail and valve. I cleaned connection real good and put it back together. When I saw this it was my impression that the green corrosion was causing interference with connection. It did not help though.

The only thing I can suggest is to disconnect the assembly before the evaporative canister and look at everything off of the vehicle in good light and clean it up. Put it all back on and be sure to clean the female side of the connector under the vehicle really good making sure that there is no corrosion inside of it. Hard to say what the problem might be, but all the road salts corroding metal under the car definately doesn't help.

Good find SWS, I would say that yes it impacts drivability at WOT due to not being able to properly pressurise the fuel system.

Good find SWS, I would say that yes it impacts drivability at WOT due to not being able to properly pressurise the fuel system.

Interesting that you would say this considering that I am dealing with an issue with acceleration at WOT. I have created a post on this. I was under the impression that my TPS was screwed up. I gotta get this thing fixed!

Found a good discriptive information on the codes and what each one is associated with:

http://www.greatautohelp.com/operation/EVAP-System-Codes-Tests.html

It looks like most individuals say to pull the whole assembly (canister and all) and check for blockage, plus verify that the valve is working properly by applying 12V power. If the vent valve is stuck open/closed then it will mess up your air/fuel ratios and possibly give the throttle response issues that you are having.

Alright.. I got the vent solenoid out and charcoal canister. The canister was pretty filthy. I dont believe the vent solenoid is working but I have no way or know how to check it. I will try ordering another solenoid and go from there.

If you could post the procedure for such removal, you would be helping me and others. Thanks for your time! Neil

I need to order a new vent control valve so when I get this new valve I will post a write up with pictures showing how to change it. It is rather difficult to get to because you are dealing with the rubber fill tube to the gas tank. I should I have something here in a couple weeks.

Thanks! Looking forward to it. It's too cold around here to do the work now. It will be a spring time fix.

Purge valves

For the evap system on the 2006 Ex, there is 1 selonoid next to the battery in the engine compartment and vent valve by the Read right wheel behind the gastank and the wheel. The EVAP canister is placed on top of the gas tank (thus you have to removed the tank in order to change.
One way to check the valves is disconnect and remove, place a rag over one of the holes and blow through, then connect 12V to the connector and blow through again. One way should have no restrictions, the other you can't blow air through at all. In the '06's, Ford redesigned the vent hose because water was getting in the vent hole then making it's way to the canister. Once it hits the canister, it clogs and needs to be replaced (about $150 parts + $250 Labor).

Thanks for the info. Just came to an agreement on purchase of 07 bauer, with this post info i have the tools needed to ask for at least 500 more of the price of this vehicle to have fixed.

Purge valves

... In the '06's, Ford redesigned the vent hose because water was getting in the vent hole then making it's way to the canister. Once it hits the canister, it clogs and needs to be replaced (about $150 parts + $250 Labor).

I just wrestled with my evap system for a few hours over several days, on my '02 Explorer XLS. The system and location of components is identical to what is described here, except there are two evap (charcoal) canisters in series mounted on top of the gas tank.

I don't see how water could get in through the vent hose, which is routed up to the gas cap housing (and protected; comes out under the filler door).

I do know that gen 1's had an open hole/port on one of the components, and no vent hose running up to the filler cap area. I think that must be the model the previous poster is talking about....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back