Cannot fill gas tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cannot fill gas tank

Bodog

Reaction score
The last two times I attempted to fill my gas tank I could only fill it half full. The gas pump at the gas station clicks off and won't allow any more fuel to be added. I tried three different gas stations in different towns. Today I ran out of gas so I know the tank is half empty when the station gas pump clicks off.
Where does the electric fuel pump gas line connect to the fuel tank? Is it connected to a float or is it fixed on the bottom of the tank?
What causes the gas station fuel handle to shut off the flow of gasoline into the Explorer?
Any ideas as to what is causing the gas station to stop filling the Explorer fuel tank?

Bob
1994 Explorer 152,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bodog said:
Today I ran out of gas so I know the tank is half empty when the station gas pump clicks off.

Bob
1994 Explorer 152,000 miles

Never look at it as half empty but look at it as half full. ;)

Haha...anyways...have you tried pulling the nozzle out just a tad bit?? I have that problem sometimes so I just pull the nozzle out a little and it filled up the whole tank. The reason, in my theory, for this to happen is because the sensor in the nozzle clicks whenever it senses gas going back up, hence the click.

Actually I pulled the nozzle out as far as possible and tried to fill the tank but it still clicked off. I'm not sure but perhaps the fuel is being blocked on the way to the tank and backs up and forces the nozzle to click off...but then why is it only happening when we reach half full. Hmmm.

try filling it up without using the full force of the nozzle, like only pull the trigger 1/2-2/3 of the way

I have noticed a steeper angle on the nozzel helps too.

I noticed this the other day. Had an almost empty tank and it would cut off every few seconds. I pushed harder and it filled fine. This was one of those pumps with the spring that you have to push against the truck to fill it up.

I seem to have a problem filling my gas tank as well, seems to always happen the day before payday.........Sorry, I'm just a smart ___ at times

So, did you fill the tank recently with the engine running?. This is a problem with the tank venting emissions system. If gas was filled with the engine on, gas could have been sucked into the charcoal canister and now it has a low flow. The venting solenoid could be stuck closed. This throws a code in later years because they put a pressure sensor in the tank. Your year won't give a code and the engine will run normal. Check small vent tube that is part of the filler neck for a kink.

I'll go with Opera House, most likely the 3/4 dia venting pipe is kinked/blocked as it can only be trapped air in the tank which is preventing filling.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and help.

Well, I've not attempted to fill the gas tank with the engine running. So that is probably not a factor.
This is such a simple system that it can be confusing. It seems to me that we are just dealing with moving air so something must have become clogged or bent in some way. I'll check the 3/4 inch vent pipe...that sounds logical. The air must not be escaping in the normal manner and rushes out the fill pipe and shuts off the filler nozzle.
I'm not sure of the location and connection of the fuel tank with the charcoal canister. I guess I need to brush up on the operation of the fuel system and its components.
I've not heard of the venting solenoid before. Opera House, can you give me some more information on that, location, how it is energized while fueling, etc.? That sounds promising, too.

Thanks again.

I took the car to the Ford dealer but he had never heard of anything like this. We decided to replace the fuel pump and the gas gauge sending unit since the sending unit was not working and checked the hoses and vents to the fuel tank. Nothing was amiss but when the whole thing was reassembled and the engine started everything was working as it should.
Thaks for your input, gentlemen.

Bodog said:
What causes the gas station fuel handle to shut off the flow of gasoline into the Explorer?
Any ideas as to what is causing the gas station to stop filling the Explorer fuel tank?

well first i have a back story, a few months ago they opened a new BP station, so the 1st time i when there i start to pump my gas, and i hear some under my truck !!!!! sand , dirt and dried mud was shaken loose from the hose that goes from the filler nect to the gas tank and the hose was shaking then in clapsed in on it self and shut off the pump. so i tried pumping again "this pump had some kick" and it shut off again, so i just lifted the rear of the handleletting the gas in w/o hitting the hose, I guess?

2nd on the pump i looked at there was a small metal thing in the tube put of the pump.

good luck

Back