Can't find rocker arm post retaining clips for rebuild! HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't find rocker arm post retaining clips for rebuild! HELP!!

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
Ok fella's, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport V6 4.0 OHV engine that while accelerating onto the highway, I blew off the Passenger side forward piston's exhaust rocker arm off the post. The retaining clip and parts of the retaining pin that goes through the clip on the front of the rocker arm post blew off, missing now and searching for it. But most importantly, no one online or at the Ford Dealer sells the clip and pin hardware. Autozone has a new post (part number agree) but does not sell the hardware. The original rocker arm post is bent so needs replacement. The second issue is where the hell could this clip have gone? Would it have worked its way down into the oil pan and removal will allow retrieving it? If I can't find the clip, then what? Engine rebuild or replacement? Can anyone suggest a vendor that may carry the hardware to rebuild the rocker arm post assembly.

Rocker Arm.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok fella's, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport V6 4.0 OHV engine that while accelerating onto the highway, I blew off the Passenger side forward piston's exhaust rocker arm off the post. The retaining clip and parts of the retaining pin that goes through the clip on the front of the rocker arm post blew off, missing now and searching for it. But most importantly, no one online or at the Ford Dealer sells the clip and pin hardware. Autozone has a new post (part number agree) but does not sell the hardware. The original rocker arm post is bent so needs replacement. The second issue is where the hell could this clip have gone? Would it have worked its way down into the oil pan and removal will allow retrieving it? If I can't find the clip, then what? Engine rebuild or replacement? Can anyone suggest a vendor that may carry the hardware to rebuild the rocker arm post assembly.

View attachment 153831
I suspect the pin is in the pan...As well as the what is left of the spacer...Is the pushrod bent or the rocker arm shaft itself? There are refurbished rocker arm assemblies on ebay...

4.0L FORD REMANUFACTURED ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY | eBay

Yes,the rocker arm shaft is bents. I'll check it out. Thank you. Now big issue is fishing out the hardwares. any suggestions?

But not the pushrod. i ordered new ones as well as the main three bolts.

You would probably only find the bits in the oil pump pickup screen or stuck in sludge in the oil pan... And since you have a 4 wd removing the pan is not a fun job...My Sport is 2 wd and I removed it by removing the starter and then the bolts holding it in... I even reused the pan gasket...Frankly I would drain the oil pan and see if any pieces come out that way...The bits would either be in the oil galley under the intake or stuck in the pickup I would think...And I would be a bit concerned why the rocker arm shaft bent...Are you certain the pushrod is not bent???

The rod is not bent. This happened at high sustained rpm as i was passing traffic on the highway. I was able to coast rest of the way home, about 20 miles, and only heard popping sound of exhaust if i gave it gas while driving rest of the way. I know i probably should have pulled over but other indications were stable. Anyway, I believe somehow when the rocker popped off, it must have binded and caused the end of the rocker arm post to bend. Does not look lie there is damage to the valve spring from the picture. I can't push the valve down or up to check function though. pretty tough spring pressure. Only banging sound came from the valve cover while at idle and mainly only if i gave it a little gas when i checked it out. I don't think anything broke off in the cylinder, just the rocker and retaining clip popped off. Is there any way to check valve function with the head still installed? And if the hardware does not come out with draining the oil, should I remove the lower intake manifold to investigate and use a borescope to search for the clip? is there a way to use the borescope to search down any oil passages from the head into the oil pan? If I can avoid removing the oil pan and intake manifold. Thanks for your help here. Still got a lot of ifs and questions to fallow.

As I search, if I can't find it, should I pull the lower intake manifold off and the oil pan? Would any parts as large or small as the clip be visible in any of the oil passages or galley as you mentioned? Where is the oil pick up also?

Have you looked in any local salvage yards/pull-a-parts for a replacement rocker arm shaft?

Ranger7ltr above gave me a link to Ebay that sells a refurbished assembly so got that on order fro now.

Back