Cargo area under-floor storage question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area under-floor storage question

IIGood

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer; 03 Mustang
Does anybody know if the latch assembly for the under-floor storage can be obtained separately, or would I need to get a whole new floor panel?

The latch for my floor storage panel has broken where the pins hold it in place, so it makes it tricky to get into the storage area should I need to get to the spare tire area for the jack or whatever other junk I have stashed in there. I've "fixed" it but it's very easy to break off every time I lift the latch up so I'll need a permanent fix.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! At least I know just the latch is available and don't have to get the whole panel. $60 seems a little steep, but I'll check around.

Might be cheaper to buy a cargo panel a t junkyard, but I suspect that's already occurred to you.

U-pull-itsl salvage yards are a great thing! Both of my latches were broken. On my trip to get Aviator mirrors i found some replacement latches.

Replaced my broken latch with one from a wrecking yard. $3....well, $4 including the entry fee.

Let's be realistic here. I never leave the yard without spending at least $100-200. Latch piece was only $3.

When my latch broke last year I took it apart and drilled a hole completely through it to accommodate a pin made from a nail. I then used JB weld to build it up the plastic where required. Took a few layers but did the trick.

Back