Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

now onto the rear.

expo5-1.jpg

expo6-1.jpg

expo7-1.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Rear? What rear? There isn't enough left of it to call it the "Rear" As if J LO went on a diet and lost her greatest ASSet. :)

Maybe call it the "Back"...lol

Front looks pretty awesome!

Hey at least the Original Frame rails are still there :D

that was my next question.... are those frame rails staying??

good lord !!!!

how much travel back there ??
25 inches ?

What size tires are you going to run? 35's?

golly gee willickers thats a SWEET set-up!

I think that Rockford amp could get stolen on the back seat like that,some punk teen could crawl right up under the big hole in the truck.

Looks great Sean, I've only seen one other Explorer with mezzanine arms, I still don't totally understand it but the one I saw handled great.

I think that Rockford amp could get stolen on the back seat like that,some punk teen could crawl right up under the big hole in the truck.

you sure its not a Kicker amp? :p:

Good stuff there Sean:cool: Do those arms work as an anti-sway bar with a torsion bar running through that tube?

Good stuff there Sean:cool: Do those arms work as an anti-sway bar with a torsion bar running through that tube?

no, these ones do not. I did a nissan frontier though with a swaybar, connected to warn hubs so you can lock and unlock it.

no, these ones do not. I did a nissan frontier though with a swaybar, connected to warn hubs so you can lock and unlock it.

You mean Gil's right. He comes on here every once in a blue moon, we use to work together.;) His truck came out very nice:thumbsup:

...Is that old 8.8 still available???..:scratch:

Looks great Sean, I've only seen one other Explorer with mezzanine arms, I still don't totally understand it but the one I saw handled great.

Amp is coming out, i just keep forgetting to yank it haha.

Im happy with the way its all coming together. it had to take 5 steps back before it could move one step forward.

And Ted, the 8.8 is gone. sold it 2 weeks or so ago.

...No problem..Heading to pick-your part later this month...:hammer:

...And how the heck did you find 10-35" MTR's??...Jeepspeed still had some last I heard..:dunno:

Back