Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

few update pics

full droop...
links2.jpg

links1.jpg

links3.jpg

links4.jpg

how much for little ol' me? $$$

All custom dude..

Tho I'm thinkin if you shell out enough, someone or some shop will do it all over again.

My buddy is the builder, but he can build this or any other setup youd like. This setup would run you about $4500 to $5000 for fab work. But unless you want to totally cut everything apart like i had to id say there are simpler things to do.

HOLY GIANT ARMS BATMAN! That's a ton of work for just a 'beater.'

descent my a$$...DUDE THAT THING IS BAD!
and by bad i mean good
and by good i mean #1 explorer in this forum(at least as a off-road version)

There are alot of really nice off road expos on this forum. I wouldnt say mine is #1, maybe for the desert/high speed stuff, but overall no. i appreciate the compliments though, its been a long, hard and expensive road to get it here.

So 2 1/2 weeks until truckhaven, how's it looking? Haven't seen any updates here or on DR in a little while.

yea man...wusup with it
she lookin any better
or u still got her in surgery?

by the way im waiting up on a long travel for my explorer...cuz i got one for my tacoma
nothin special like this though...execpt the width of the kit 5.5''

So awesome!! So 5 days until its first trip out?

i dont think this coming weekend is gonna happen. i have a few more small things i need and im out of money till payday. its all the little nickel and dime stuff for final assembly thats killing me right now.

thats awesome :thumbsup: I can't wait to see this thing finished

Well it made its 1st trip in over a year. Worked very well with a total guess on shock valving. Had fun for a few hours, and then the trans gave out haha. Ill post up some pics and a video or two later today.

Back