and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cassette stuck in stereo

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by pjacobson, July 27, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pjacobson

pjacobson New Member

City, State:
      New York, NY
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      Need some help. Have a stock radio/cassette player in 1997 XLT. Cassette tape is stuck in stereo and will not play either. Stereo does not recognize there is a tape in there. When I hit the "eject" button nothing happens. When I hit the "tape" button "No Tape" message appears on display. Can anyone help?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
      Year and Model:
      No Mounty no more.
      I don't have an answer for you but if you can not get the tape out I have my stock one out of my '97 I will sell you for $25 shipping included.

4. DOZIER

DOZIER Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Fultondale, Alabama
      Year and Model:
      2001 explorer sport
      Customize your head unit today!!! :)
      For the limited time only, you can purchase a ball pin hammer at your local hardware store for only 5.99!!! Yes you heard correct my friend. 5.99!!!
      So buy a hammer today and customize the face of your head unit.
      Every head unit will have a different out come. None will be the same.

Sorry buddy. Had to add some humor to the situation. That thing is stuck bro!

5. Lt.Jim

Lt.Jim Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South Central Pennsylvania/NorthernMaryland
      Year and Model:
      94 XLT
      Cassette? What is this "Cassette" thing you speak of?

:D LOL :D

I had this happen in a couple cars. I always used a small screwdriver or an awl with a hooked end to pry them out.

Try pulling the radio fuse and reinstall it then see if the radio recognizes the tape.

Good Luck!

6. boxer1

boxer1 New Member

City, State:
      Summerville, SC
      Year and Model:
      1999 Explorer Limited
      If you have the DIN type of radio),has two square holes on each side of the fac palte),the radio will come out easily. Go to Wal-mart and by a DIN removal tool. The tool is two 'U'shaped pieces of metal taht fit into the holes in your radio. This tool compresses the spring clips holding the radio in. You simply pull the radio out.

Once you have it out you'll see a small black screw on each side of the face plate. Take these out. Turn the radio on each side and pry up gently on the black tabs of the
      face plate. The face plate can now be separated from the radio.There is one small cable you'll see once the face plate is separated. Just unplug it from the face plate.

Once the face plate is off, you'll have clear access to the tape player.

These radios are modular. The CD module comes out separately and the cassette modules come out as separately...and can be replaced separately.

Goob luck.