1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Catalyst I/M Monitor not in "Ready"

Discussion in 'Explorer, Ranger - Computers, Chips, Tuning' started by duke16, September 4, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. duke16

duke16 Active Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0L AWD XLT
      What could cause the catalyst I/M monitor not to "ready", yet not cause a CEL or MIL? I hooked a scanner up to my Explorer and the only issue was the catalyst I/M monitor staying in a "not ready" state. No codes and all other monitors were fine.

The truck has sluggish acceleration, and seems to loose steam going up hills and so forth. The idle has also gotten rougher. I was getting a "popping" noise from around the exhaust at one point, which I assume was a backfire, but that has now gone away. I've tried removing the rear cats but that didn't change anything. I've also swapped out the coil packs and MAF for a day with known good ones. And I checked the fuel pressure which was low, but still within the recommended range.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. duke16

duke16 Active Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0L AWD XLT
      Would this thread be better in another sub-forum perhaps?

4. Cobraguy

Cobraguy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
      Year and Model:
      1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
      That should be a P1000 code and is NOT a trouble code. It's an information code and will never set a CEL on it's own. First, a little lesson in PCM 101. :D On OBDII vehicles, certain tests need to be done by the PCM to see if the vehicle is emissions compliant. To complete this task, the vehicle must go through what is called a drive cycle. This is a very complicated set of parameters that must occur. The last time I went through this, it took 3 weeks for the cycle to complete. You can also find drive cycle instructions and try to complete it yourself on a test drive, but that doesn't always work. So until all parameters have been met so the PCM can check everything it needs, you will get this code. The only harmful thing this code will cause by itself is you will not be able to pass emissions checks with it present.

So what causes it? Setting certain other codes can force another drive cycle. For sure disconnecting the battery will force another cycle. I don't know if we know for sure all the circumstances that can force the cycle. But I would say it's safe to say that as long as you are having other problems, it will never pass the tests it needs to in order to shut off the P1000 code.

5. duke16

duke16 Active Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0L AWD XLT
      So my Catalyst I/M Monitor has never gone to "Ready", despite me going through numerous drive cycles. I'm wondering if something didn't get hooked up correctly after I last had the engine out. Any suggestions? It's not a huge issue, in NC I can have 2 monitors in "not ready" state, but I'm worried I could be missing important CELs if the monitor isn't working.

6. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Great State of Texas
      Year and Model:
      1999 Sport
      Please define your drive cycle...

If the correct process is not run, the drive cycle will not trigger the readyness flag...I seem to remember the drive cycle for Ford somewhere on here...