Catalyst I/M Monitor not in "Ready" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Catalyst I/M Monitor not in "Ready"

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
What could cause the catalyst I/M monitor not to "ready", yet not cause a CEL or MIL? I hooked a scanner up to my Explorer and the only issue was the catalyst I/M monitor staying in a "not ready" state. No codes and all other monitors were fine.

The truck has sluggish acceleration, and seems to loose steam going up hills and so forth. The idle has also gotten rougher. I was getting a "popping" noise from around the exhaust at one point, which I assume was a backfire, but that has now gone away. I've tried removing the rear cats but that didn't change anything. I've also swapped out the coil packs and MAF for a day with known good ones. And I checked the fuel pressure which was low, but still within the recommended range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would this thread be better in another sub-forum perhaps?

That should be a P1000 code and is NOT a trouble code. It's an information code and will never set a CEL on it's own. First, a little lesson in PCM 101. :D On OBDII vehicles, certain tests need to be done by the PCM to see if the vehicle is emissions compliant. To complete this task, the vehicle must go through what is called a drive cycle. This is a very complicated set of parameters that must occur. The last time I went through this, it took 3 weeks for the cycle to complete. You can also find drive cycle instructions and try to complete it yourself on a test drive, but that doesn't always work. So until all parameters have been met so the PCM can check everything it needs, you will get this code. The only harmful thing this code will cause by itself is you will not be able to pass emissions checks with it present.

So what causes it? Setting certain other codes can force another drive cycle. For sure disconnecting the battery will force another cycle. I don't know if we know for sure all the circumstances that can force the cycle. But I would say it's safe to say that as long as you are having other problems, it will never pass the tests it needs to in order to shut off the P1000 code.

So my Catalyst I/M Monitor has never gone to "Ready", despite me going through numerous drive cycles. I'm wondering if something didn't get hooked up correctly after I last had the engine out. Any suggestions? It's not a huge issue, in NC I can have 2 monitors in "not ready" state, but I'm worried I could be missing important CELs if the monitor isn't working.

Please define your drive cycle...

If the correct process is not run, the drive cycle will not trigger the readyness flag...I seem to remember the drive cycle for Ford somewhere on here...

Back