and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

CAUTION! AWD Front Drive Shaft Removal --Drifts in park.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by fordpartsguy, May 15, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fordpartsguy

fordpartsguy New Member

City, State:
      Hoosier state
      Year and Model:
      1998 Eddie Bauer
      If you take out your front driveshaft on a 1998 5.0 AWD Explorer, it will not stay put in park.I had my driveshaft go bad. I was too cheap to buy a new genuine Ford driveshaft. I decided I dont need all wheel drive in Florida.One day the wife noticed the Explorer had backed itself half way out to the street.The parking propertys are 65 % to 35 %. The front driveshaft controls 35 % of your parking.I have found a used one to remedy my problem. Weird huh ?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Turdle

Turdle Check it out Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty
      Well I'm glad nobody was hurt.
      This issue has been talked about several times, however the posts are hidden in drive shaft problem threads. I think I will sticky this.

This issue affects all 96-2001 5.0l AWD Explorers and Mountaineers.

4. xdviper

xdviper Active Member

Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      I'm having the same problem, Is this where you park on a hill, and I'll put it on park and the X will move forward as if it was on N. And also, if the X is on P and I push it it will move backwards with making a clipping noise coming under near the transmission. But I have the 1997 4.0, is it the same?

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      That issue is probably the same for all Ford AWD viscous coupling units. The other 4WD transfer cases should not do that.

6. xdviper

xdviper Active Member

Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      Is there any reason why My X should be doing this? I don't understand where when the engine is on the car won't move back or front when in Park, but when I turn it off, it will move.

7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      If the truck is moving like you say then the issue is the parking pawl. All automatics have a steel pawl(finger) which engages the output shaft drum teeth. There are teeth on the outer portion of a drum at the back of the trans, which are only for park. If the vehicle is moving like that with the sound of the teeth/pawl jumping, they have become damaged.

Under all circumstances it is very wise to apply the parking brake to keep the vehicle from moving while parked. The transmission should not be used to hold the vehicle still. The parking brakes are far easier to service than the trans.

8. ax1um

ax1um New Member

City, State:
      Roanoke, Texas
      Year and Model:
      '99 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
      Well, when you have it in park, your transmission is disengaged and isn't giving power to the drive wheels. So no matter how hard you press on the gas, the tranny will be spinning air.

9. jls1znv9999

jls1znv9999 Active Member

City, State:
      Roxana, Illinois
      Year and Model:
      Had the same problem, even as i was disconnecting the worn out one i started seeing it roll a little bit. Thanks to be blocking the rear wheels it only rotated a few inches.
      If you don't have the money for a new one i would suggest you go to a pick and pull scrap yard. They range around $25. You just need to make sure it's not bent (a nice level will ensure no bends. The only other thing you need worry about is the boot and make sure it is throughly greased.

10. mechanized

mechanized New Member

City, State:
      wichita kansas
      Year and Model:
      '99 explorer 5.0 AWD
      Is there any chance of damage to the transmission/viscous coupling by driving an AWD without the front driveshaft? Would the truck be better on gas without it?

11. xdviper

xdviper Active Member

Year and Model:
      1997 XLT

My Chevy astro is the AWD model, and I've had the rear differentials replaced due to loud sounds while driving, and since then we had to remove the transfer case, and drive shaft when we got the differentials, because it was from the 2wd model, now the van is only rear wheel drive, and i've been driving it for 3 months now and transmission and all is perfectly fine... and much more fun in the snow :D

but overall, the truck is the same, no diff in MPG... mind you the truck gets loaded up with heavy loads once a week from Jetro (wholesale supplies for father's restaurant), and travels about 40miles a day....

12. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Topeka, KS
      Year and Model:
      00 V8 Mountaineer
      Your astro probably doesn't have the same transfer case that the explorers/mountaineers do, so that info doesn't really pertain to him.

That being said you should probably be ok for a while, people have run without them for a month or 2 and not had any problems, myself included. For me it's more economical to leave the shaft in since there was no noticeable difference in gas mileage or performance. And I was eating up tires making pretty white smoke.

13. leon63

leon63 Member

Year and Model:
      98 5.0 Mounty
      According to the Ford service manual, AWD models have a transfer case that uses a center planetary gear differential to transmit power to the front and rear driveshafts. The movement of the front and rear driveshafts relative to each other is limited by the viscous coupling.

So when the front driveshaft is removed, the vehicle will drift in "Park" because the parking mechanism engages the input to the center differential, and NOT the individual driveshafts.

I think that driving an AWD with no front driveshaft places a great deal of stress on the viscous coupling since it would always be working to limit the motion of the front flange, which could lead to failure. Further I would recommend against this practice, since the vehicle could creep while placed in "Park".

Last edited: November 2, 2009
    14. pricetag2

pricetag2 New Member

Year and Model:
      1998 EB
      When my transfer case went bad and I removed the front driveshaft, the X didn't move in Park. probably because the VC was fried and locked up. After replacing the TC, recently my front drive shaft went bad and I removed it. I left the X for my wife to drive but didn't think to mention that it might drift in Park. Well... after it ended up in the middle of the street and she called me to ask what might have happened....let's say that I didn't win any smart points. LOL!

15. hitman46mod

hitman46mod Member

City, State:
      Wixom MI
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mecury Mountaineer
      The factory AWD TC is a bias split torque unit if you dont have the front DS in it will destroy the Viscous coupling inside. How long depends on how hard you drive it. It is like a clutch style locker but preloaded to one side. Once you wear the clutches enough it will just slip. The BW 4406 and what not are not bias. the viscous coupling is just a precaution.
      How a Viscous coupling works.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscous_coupling_unit

16. glwjr

glwjr New Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, Mi
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer AWD 5.0
      I was thinking of removing my front drive shafts, I appreciate the caution and information provided!

The problem I am having is that I notice at idle speed and mostly when turning (like coasting through a McDonald drive thru) it feels like my brakes are sticking (slightly grabbing). Also makes a slight growling sound (best I can describe). I haven't been able to pin it down (while driving), I was wondering if there is a problem starting with a drive shaft or the transfer case.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Looks like there is some experience out there.

Thank you, Gordy

17. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      Welcome Gordy, the front shaft is the weakest link, but your symptom sounds like the AWD viscous coupling in the TC. What exact size are your tires, first determine that they have identical diameters. If they are off 1/8"(worn differently) or more, expect AWD problems, that kills the viscous clutch.

With equal tires then you should remove the front shaft and see if that frees up the truck. If it does, then either you have tires that are not the same diameter, or the AWD is shot.

18. glwjr

glwjr New Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, Mi
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer AWD 5.0
      Thanks for the fast reply CDW6212R,
      I am confident on the tires. They are about a year old and were all replaced at the same time. I've been careful to rotate every 6,000 miles or so. I will try removing the drive shafts and see if this improves. The funny thing is, the symptom isn't always noticable. Doing early research on replacing the viscous coupling, looks like it might not be a cost effective fix for a 12 year old vehicle. (155,000 miles).

19. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      Right, those run about $350 on the low side for just the part, some here have built there own feasibly. Until recently the best option is to find a low mileage used AWD, but those are rare now. My 98 AWD is original with 176k, and I have a 97 spare with 75k I believe. Look around and shop carefully.

20. hotrod31

hotrod31 New Member

City, State:
      winkler, manitoba
      Year and Model:
      98 5.0 limited
      I've been thinking of removing my front driveshaft due to some binding when taking sharp corners. My question is, is the park gear not holding the only thing that is not going to work correctly? I will still have "full" 2wd right? If I want awd for winter can't I just throw frt drivshaft back on. my truck is a 5.0 limited awd system. I also thought it would reduse wear on the front driveline plus increase fuel economy a little.

21. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      Refer to post 11 & 14 and the rest.. Its not recommended.

22. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      How many people use the parking brake 100% of the time, not many. The AWD viscous coupling may not be hurt by the front shaft being out, I don't think so.

23. hotrod31

hotrod31 New Member

City, State:
      winkler, manitoba
      Year and Model:
      98 5.0 limited
      Thanks cdw621r, that's my thinking too! So if I would remove the frt shaft I still get 100% power to the rear wheels? I like awd but I don't need the extra wear on the tires and front drivline!

24. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      The jury is still out though on the viscous clutch surviving without the front shaft. Several people have had it out for a short time, but no one has reported consistently on the results, over a long time and lots of miles. So just know that you are another test subject.

The power isn't locked onto the rear shaft, which is why the truck will creep on hills in park. As long as the rear shaft isn't spun quicker than the viscous clutch can keep a hold of the front output shaft, that will not hurt the AWD. Be careful and watch it.

25. 99SportX

99SportX Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Duluth, MN
      Year and Model:
      1999 Ex & Mounty
      I am getting sick and tired of us not knowing exactly what is going inside of that AWD t-case. I should open mine up this winter and figure out how it works. I have been driving my sport without the front shaft and have not noticed any slipping. It is just as quick as before. I have a temp sender installed in my t-case at the drain plug location. With the full AWD system in place, I was seeing stable 150 degF on a long cruise at highway speeds. I have not driven without the shaft much for long periods, but I have not seen anything over about 110 degF in the t-case. If it was slipping I would expect to see it get warmer than it is. I will continue to monitor the temps when I drive. I expect the majority of slipping to occur during hard acceleration but I have honestly not noticed any issues.

When slip occurs, the front and rear output speeds would be different. It would be cool to somehow log the front and rear output speeds during a hard acceleration to determine how much slip (if any) is actually occurring.

26. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      Ditto Eric, I think the real difference to the AWD with or without the front shaft is small. We as strangers shouldn't make big assumptions and tell others that there is no harm if we aren't sure. I think having the rear shaft out would be a big mistake.