Cellphone compatibility with MyFordTouch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cellphone compatibility with MyFordTouch

DDRunt

Reaction score
City, State
Farmingdale, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with cellphones not being compatible with the MyFordTouch system. I am due to upgrade my cellphones this weekend and when looking at the list of cellphones that would work with the MyFord Touch, they seem to be all OLD cellphones. None of the current phones that I was looking to get are on the list, but all of my old phones are. Any comments?

Also, I just ordered an XLT a on 2/12 and received the DORA from my dealer. I'm not sure what to do with it from here. How do I find out further information and what information from the DORA do I need? I didn't see a priority code on it anywhere and next to the VIN # there is a 7 digit code consisting of 3 letters, 3 numbers then another letter. Please help. I'm very anxious to get our new Explorer as my daughter is trying to claim my current car since she passed her road test!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had problems getting my two Samsung phones to talk to the MFT, but after some finagling around, they work now.

Well, that's good to hear that after playing with it a bit, they worked. I'm just hoping that after I get the new phones this weekend, and after waiting weeks for the Explorer to arrive, that I don't run into any problems... that would be soooo disappointing!! Especially hearing and reading so much about what this MyFord Touch can do! I can't wait to play with it!

Yeah I noticed Ford hasn't updated their "compatible" phones PDF in a long time (at least 6 months) which is a lifetime for cell/smart phones these days. Look at the iphone, a new version comes out every year making the old one........ old. Why would anyone switch to the Verizon iphone 4 when the 5 will be out in a 2-3 months?

Most all phones these days have bluetooth capability and honestly, this is all you need for it to "work". Streaming music and text messaging are the 2 rare functions. My phone worked on the first try, even imported my address book automatically and it was one where someone else was having problems with........ go figure.

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with cellphones not being compatible with the MyFordTouch system. I am due to upgrade my cellphones this weekend and when looking at the list of cellphones that would work with the MyFord Touch, they seem to be all OLD cellphones. None of the current phones that I was looking to get are on the list, but all of my old phones are. Any comments?

Also, I just ordered an XLT a on 2/12 and received the DORA from my dealer. I'm not sure what to do with it from here. How do I find out further information and what information from the DORA do I need? I didn't see a priority code on it anywhere and next to the VIN # there is a 7 digit code consisting of 3 letters, 3 numbers then another letter. Please help. I'm very anxious to get our new Explorer as my daughter is trying to claim my current car since she passed her road test!!

I have the MFT system in my Ex Limited and Im using an iPhone4 with iOS 4.2. It connected OK and streams music BlueTooth but I have had the same disconnect issues others have had. The iPhone4 works in and out of the vehicle for a week then one time you get in and the SYNC system says it cannot find a BlueTooth device. So I erase the iPhone from the SYNC system and start fresh, and it eventually pairs again. Took it to the dealer and they did a Master Reset which is simply a "Windows reboot". I can do that myself.

Apparently the SYNC/Microsoft Dev Team are trying to keep up with each phone makers OS upgrades but they have fallen behind.

Im scared for the pending Apple iOS 4.3 upgrade due out anytime.

Try reading some of the issues on the SYNC Forum, it seems like everyone with almost any type or model of phone has issues. I still haven't seen or read about one that allows SYNC to convert text messages to speech.

iPhone4 doesn't support MAP BlueTooth protocol so it wont do text to voice yet.

The problem I have is that when I drive the ex it does not sync up with my phone automatically. It looks for the primary phone, tells me it cannot find it and then does nothing. I have to tell it to connect a phone, touch my phone on the touchscreen and then touch connect. It then connects to my phone. But I was told it would connect as soon as it realized the primary phone was not available. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks!
P.S. the phones are both LG's.

The problem I have is that when I drive the ex it does not sync up with my phone automatically. It looks for the primary phone, tells me it cannot find it and then does nothing. I have to tell it to connect a phone, touch my phone on the touchscreen and then touch connect. It then connects to my phone. But I was told it would connect as soon as it realized the primary phone was not available. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks!
P.S. the phones are both LG's.

I would try the Master Reset in the SYNC settings and see if that helps.

Then next I would try the fuse pull reboot (fuse 29) in the Explorer

Also call the SYNC Tech Support Line and ask them if you have any updates by your VIN#. Regardless they need to hear from unhappy new Explorer owners so they get cracking on some fixes.

Dearborn MI Ford HQ SYNC Tech Support 1-800-392-3673

Did it help?

I....Also call the SYNC Tech Support Line and ask them if you have any updates by your VIN#. Regardless they need to hear from unhappy new Explorer owners so they get cracking on some fixes.

Dearborn MI Ford HQ SYNC Tech Support 1-800-392-3673

I called the line and gave them an earful. I have an intermittent "no phone available issue". 95% of the time my MFT works fine however, sometimes when I get in and start the vehicle, the sync can't find my phone but when I go to the phone connect menu, it says it's connected. Only way to clear it is to shut off the vehicle and start over. It seems to happen most often when I'm out of the vehicle for under 5 minutes and stay within about 50' of the vehicle. My guess is that it's not properly terminating the connection, so it can't re-connect until all the cache memory is cleared and the phone is out of connection range.

I called the MFT help line and got a less than helpful person who basically told me "your phone just isn't compatible with Sync". She had no answer when I asked her why it was compatible with the Sync in my Focus, but not with the Explorer's version. I had her transfer me to regular customer support and got a better response there. The lady there took all the info, talked to tech support and then told me she couldn't fix the problem right now, but it had been elevated to tech support and she would call me back at a specific time next week to give me an update on what was found.

Let's see if they actually do that.....

I called the line and gave them an earful. I have an intermittent "no phone available issue". 95% of the time my MFT works fine however, sometimes when I get in and start the vehicle, the sync can't find my phone but when I go to the phone connect menu, it says it's connected. Only way to clear it is to shut off the vehicle and start over. It seems to happen most often when I'm out of the vehicle for under 5 minutes and stay within about 50' of the vehicle. My guess is that it's not properly terminating the connection, so it can't re-connect until all the cache memory is cleared and the phone is out of connection range.

I called the MFT help line and got a less than helpful person who basically told me "your phone just isn't compatible with Sync". She had no answer when I asked her why it was compatible with the Sync in my Focus, but not with the Explorer's version. I had her transfer me to regular customer support and got a better response there. The lady there took all the info, talked to tech support and then told me she couldn't fix the problem right now, but it had been elevated to tech support and she would call me back at a specific time next week to give me an update on what was found.

Let's see if they actually do that.....

You are having the exact same issues as me....seems to be common among 2011 Explorer owners with MFT

I also noticed my phone's front screen stays lit after I park my Ex in the garage and walk into my house. I'm not sure what the range is for my phone but I would imagine it's the standard class 2 at 30-33 feet so it's still within range of my Ex in the garage. After 3-4 minutes the screen on my phone shuts off.

The cellphone issues are pretty irritating. I really hope they come out with firmware updates that fix all the connection issues...

I was reading about MFT updates, and it seems they have two kinds. One you can do yourself, by sticking in an SD card with the update data on it. The other kind, you have to actually take it in to the dealership to get it fixed / updated. What a pain.

As someone who has had the original SYNC since inception, I can say this isn't all on Ford/Microsoft. Phone manufacturers use modified BT stacks to suit their needs. My evo is the perfect example. In stock form, the BT is close to crippled. The aftermarket dev community has many roms (OSs) available. The hardware can handle things that the phone won't do stock (wiimote, mouse, kb connections).

With my evo and original sync, I have connection issues using most sense (HTC overlay on android) roms. My fix is to turn my phones BT off and on before I start the car. With that, it's flawless. When I don't, I get about a 30% chance of it working.

As someone who has had the original SYNC since inception, I can say this isn't all on Ford/Microsoft. Phone manufacturers use modified BT stacks to suit their needs. My evo is the perfect example. In stock form, the BT is close to crippled. The aftermarket dev community has many roms (OSs) available. The hardware can handle things that the phone won't do stock (wiimote, mouse, kb connections).

With my evo and original sync, I have connection issues using most sense (HTC overlay on android) roms. My fix is to turn my phones BT off and on before I start the car. With that, it's flawless. When I don't, I get about a 30% chance of it working.

That's interesting... My wife has an HTC Hero, and she has constant issues with it. My LG Optimus works flawlessly. I wonder if HTC messes with the BT on all their phones? I should look into some cooked roms. Which roms have you had success with (since you're not using sense)?

That's interesting... My wife has an HTC Hero, and she has constant issues with it. My LG Optimus works flawlessly. I wonder if HTC messes with the BT on all their phones? I should look into some cooked roms. Which roms have you had success with (since you're not using sense)?

My daughter has an optimus, GREAT phone, and virtually stock android.

I am using sense most of the time, simply for the 4G. Most of the AOSP roms (like CM7) should be a great choice on the hero. You'll speed up the phone, too.

It is a whole different experience for someone used to sense. Try a BT widget in the meantime to see if the off/on works for her.

My daughter has an optimus, GREAT phone, and virtually stock android.

I am using sense most of the time, simply for the 4G. Most of the AOSP roms (like CM7) should be a great choice on the hero. You'll speed up the phone, too.

It is a whole different experience for someone used to sense. Try a BT widget in the meantime to see if the off/on works for her.

I actually set her phone up with LauncherPro, so it's not even using Sense. I'll have her try the BT power cycle on the phone to see if it helps. It will connect if she turns the Ex's BT off & on, so it may work. Although, she doesn't keep BT on while not in the car, so she would have turned it on just before getting in the car... I dunno.

/ramble

The cellphone issues are pretty irritating. I really hope they come out with firmware updates that fix all the connection issues...

I was reading about MFT updates, and it seems they have two kinds. One you can do yourself, by sticking in an SD card with the update data on it. The other kind, you have to actually take it in to the dealership to get it fixed / updated. What a pain.

I dont think it's the SD card for owner updates, I have done 3 updates so far after owning mine for 3 weeks and I used a USB drive for all of them and it works quite well.

Where do you find the list of compatible cell phones?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back