Cellphone compatibility with MyFordTouch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cellphone compatibility with MyFordTouch

Sync cell phone compatibility chart

I've also added a 'Sticky' at the top of the '11 forum with this link.
My dealer showed me a later copy which I believe was for Canadian carriers but it is almost impossible to keep an up to date list. It seems a new phone comes on the market almost every week! I don't think there was a single phone on the Rogers Network that was on the list. I'm looking at getting a new cell phone and will first find out what the store's return policy is, just in case the phone won't pair with Sync.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neither of my Phones is on the list (both Samsungs) and I can get them to Sync up.

My dealer showed me a later copy which I believe was for Canadian carriers but it is almost impossible to keep an up to date list. It seems a new phone comes on the market almost every week! I don't think there was a single phone on the Rogers Network that was on the list. I'm looking at getting a new cell phone and will first find out what the store's return policy is, just in case the phone won't pair with Sync.

I'm on Rogers HSPA+ network here in Vancouver using an iPhone4 iOS 4.2.1

Everything works except Text messaging and contact photos.

BlueTooth streaming works great, data tethering as well.

I pulled up to the Ford Dealership and SYNC dumped my cell data connection and switched perfectly to the dealers WiFi as soon as it got in range. Perfect transfer as I set WiFi to be the priority connection in the Wireless config screen.

Unfortunately because we live in Canuckastan we don't have SYNC services or Travel Link so the data connections are all but useless unless someone in the vehicle is surfing on a laptop.

You get a little icon similar to Apple Airport icon on the main SYNC screen just on top of the "i" symbol next to the HOME symbol.

Neither of my Phones is on the list (both Samsungs) and I can get them to Sync up.

JDraper, just curious... which Samsungs do you have? And does the text messaging feature work too? I was thinking of getting one of the Samsungs offered by AT&T.

I really wish Ford would update that Cellphone list... I'm thinking I should actually hold off on getting the new cellphone until my explorer is delivered... Ugh... I don't know!

JDraper, just curious... which Samsungs do you have? And does the text messaging feature work too? I was thinking of getting one of the Samsungs offered by AT&T.

I really wish Ford would update that Cellphone list... I'm thinking I should actually hold off on getting the new cellphone until my explorer is delivered... Ugh... I don't know!
That's what I'm going to do. Wait. Looking at a Nokia C3 phone but I want to find out what the store's return policy is just in case the phone won't pair with Sync.

Peter why not find a carrier that has the phone you want and is nt in a mall but their own store front. Pull up and ask them to try to sync the phone you like to the Explorer. If it works then buy it, if not try another phone.

Peter why not find a carrier that has the phone you want and is nt in a mall but their own store front. Pull up and ask them to try to sync the phone you like to the Explorer. If it works then buy it, if not try another phone.
The phone I'm looking at is one I'm thinking of getting. It is a Rogers PAYGO phone. I know they have a couple of stores in the Ottawa area and I'll call them tomorrow. My salesman also said he would be glad to set it up as well since he is the one at the dealership that knows the system inside out. Best Buy is across the street from where I work (3 days a week) and they also have that phone.

So now that a lot of you have been driving your Explorers for a few weeks... has anybody had any luck with the cell phone texting feature on MyFordTouch where it reads your texts out loud? Anybody get it to work with AT&T phones? If you got it to work, please post what AT&T phones you have. Thanks!

So now that a lot of you have been driving your Explorers for a few weeks... has anybody had any luck with the cell phone texting feature on MyFordTouch where it reads your texts out loud? Anybody get it to work with AT&T phones? If you got it to work, please post what AT&T phones you have. Thanks!

BB torch if you want a smartphone.

So your BB Torch actually works with the "reading out loud" texting feature? You are actually the first person I've heard of that has a phone that works with that feature. That's great!

Anyone else? Anyone with regular "dumb" AT&T phones? I was on the fence about upgrading to a data plan... but if the Torch actually works with all the features and I can't find anything else that does, that may be the deciding factor... I may actually hop the fence and splurge and finally get a smart phone! ha! :D

Yep my Telus ( Canadian carrier) BB torch works with text to speech .. Too bad it doesn't do bbm's but oh well still kinda cool.

That's what I'm going to do. Wait. Looking at a Nokia C3 phone but I want to find out what the store's return policy is just in case the phone won't pair with Sync.
My 6 year old Motorola V551 paired with Syns and downloaded my phone book without any problems. Just bought a Nokia C3 phone today and had it hooked up with Sync within a minute. Don't know about messaging functions since I use it for calls only.

So your BB Torch actually works with the "reading out loud" texting feature? You are actually the first person I've heard of that has a phone that works with that feature. That's great!

Anyone else? Anyone with regular "dumb" AT&T phones? I was on the fence about upgrading to a data plan... but if the Torch actually works with all the features and I can't find anything else that does, that may be the deciding factor... I may actually hop the fence and splurge and finally get a smart phone! ha! :D

iPhone4 connects fine, streams BT audio fine but will not do text to voice. It's an Apple issue not Ford. So the carrier makes no difference, Canada or USA.

We have to find Steve Jobs if we want that functionality.

Im working on it!

If you want texts read to you, your phone needs a MAP bluetooth profile. Just like you need an A2DP profile to stream music.

Message Access Profile (MAP)

MAP defines a set of features and procedures to exchange messages between devices. It is especially tailored for the automotive Hands-Free use case where an onboard terminal device (typically a Car-Kit installed in the car, aka SYNC) takes advantage of the messaging capability of a communication device (typically a mobile phone). This profile can however also be used for other use cases that require the exchange of messages between two devices.

Anyone else?
I watched last week's episode of the TV show Fringe and one of the stars was driving the new Explorer and received a message which she acknowledged with "read text message". Ford is a sponsor of the program.;)

Back