• Register Today It's free!

Center Console Armrest

mrplow

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I need to find a fold down type armrest for the center console on my 1998 explorer Sport. The armrest broke off right near the hinge. It has two part numbers on it: F87B-78045C74, F87B-10045C74. I looked on ebay and didn't have much luck, and I don't want to spend the money on a new one. Any other ideas on where to get one? Here are some pictures.

http://img22.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img22&image=picture0170qx.jpg
http://img34.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img34&image=picture0163ol.jpg
http://img34.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img34&image=picture0143uh.jpg
http://img34.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img34&image=picture0120ft.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mrplow said:
I looked on ebay and didn't have much luck

Thats where I got mine from

A truly appalling design from the blue oval engineering department. I have broken and repaired my armrest no less than five times.
Finally, after epoxying (is that even a word?) the unit back together one last time, I began to search for a relatively unobtrusive item to attach on the front of the armrest to remove the strain.
My ultra high tech solution- a black plastic spray can lid (solid side against the arm rest) screwed to the hard plastic armrest frame. I added an old ¼â€￾ grommet under a washer to level things up and it works a charm! The armrest is now solid, and dare I say the cap looks like it belongs there. :thumbsup:

I kept having issues with the screws breaking the plastic on the bottom piece of the lid, so I took out the little pieces on the sides of the console that put so much pressure on the lid when you open it. Now I have no problems with it. Does what I just said make sense ?? I don't know if I described it well. But good luck finding a new one for much less then $50. Everybody has issues with them, so they go for a nice chunk of change just about anywhere you go. You're better off repairing it if its at all salvageable.

i tried all the junkyards within 100miles of me and no one had anything.
I have the type that there is actually a sports bag instead of a normal console.
I just bought a new hinge(everything that is black on the underside comes with it) from my dealer on thursday.It wasnt that bad,costed around 35.00 .
The lid is the kicker... costed 129.00 for that(mine was ripped severly).
Takes about 5-10minutes total for everything to be replaced.
Goodluck

does anyone have any ideas how to fix it. It was already epoxied once. Should I use some kind of metal plate or what?

I have the same issue with my '99 XLS.

We had the dealer replace the 1st armrest under warranty, then shortly after the 35K warranty expired, it broke again within about a month. Go figure.

We've been dealing with it for ~75K miles, and the wife is beginning to get irritable about it now, and I expect her to be asking me to find a replacement soon. :D

However, rather than replacing the easily-breakable part for another easily-breakable part, I'm thinking that I could find a better-built console, rather than putting something that'll break again after another few months down the road again.

There has GOT to be a better solution than the weak armrest.

Armrest fix

mrplow said:
does anyone have any ideas how to fix it. It was already epoxied once. Should I use some kind of metal plate or what?

Yes, I used 2 strips of aluminum to fix mine when it bean to crack. Bent them to fit on the inside of the plastic piece that joins the armrest to the console. I drilled a bunch of holes in the aluminum strips and in the plastic and used nuts and screws to secure them. Now the plastic is reinforced internally with real metal. I had to drill some access holes through the plastic so that I could reach the screws with a screwdriver.

I read somewhere that the Ford repalcement part is made of metal now.

Bob

The first and second gen armrests are completely different in design. I limped around my '93 armrest for a long time until my X girlfriend (not a girlfriend at the time, and probably shouldn't ever have been after the incident) decided to just rip it right off without warning. I have not had any problems with my '98 armrest other than the clips getting pushing in and having to get pulled out so I can close it. May I ask how these have been getting broken? Looks like I should pay close attention to everyone in my vehicle so they don't ruin mine.

Centre Console - Swap for Better!

Mr Plow,

I have the same problem. Scrapyard probably best choice & cost. I found a premium full-length centre floor console at a junkyard for $100 CAD...in excellent clean condition. As you see from other replies above, if you replace with the same stupidly engineered design of this "diving board" type of console, it is only going to break again. I am in process of replacing this shorter standard console (XL) with the premium full-length centre floor console (XLT) which has a very well designed lid/armrest. You could sit on it, and it wouldn't break. I have pics from every angle comparing these consoles, and hoping others will visit and send me some suggestions as to how to mount this new console. I am confident on all aspects that this console will fit, but have one question about the two nail holes on the console and how they will mount into the dash. Go to http://www.pacificislandsinfo.com/xplorer/explorer.htm and scroll down to the part called "Photos for Comparison & Discussion". I'm with Wada U Wan ... there has got to be a better suggestion...why replace with the same inferior design which will only break again?!?! I checked your pics Mr Plow, and mine broke in the exact same & place that yours did. I wonder if Ford designed this purposefully just to make future "parts" sales!! What a dumb design.

Let me know, anyone, if you have more ideas or suggestions. Vincent (taori@tvds.net)

terrible design, mine is broken too, I'm just dealing with it until I come up with an idea to fix it. Ford is NOT going to get 100+ bucks from me to replace a POS arm rest, unless they are indeed metal. I may need to call the dealership to see if that is true. Otherwise I am going to fabricate a metal backplate and tap the holes to fix this one.

Grrrrrr

You could also replace it with a console arm that they used to have in older explorers that doesn't have the built in cup holder in the back. The don't have the screws on the bottom of the armrest. They are stronger.

Back