Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU' started by mjshaw80, November 16, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KayGee

KayGee New Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Police Utility
      I believe you can only hook up the rear HVAC controls if you already have the rear HVAC option (you will know if you have it because you will have the rear controls in the dash below the main HVAC controls). There is a PIU specific top panel with no shifter and a PIU specific rear panel with no HVAC controls. They are not super easy to find used and are pretty pricey if you buy them new.

I got a PIU specific center console and when I installed it, I removed the partial console and trim that the vehicle came with, I replaced the input panel with the input panel from my truck - it's just plug and play. The long trim panels on the side of the console just pop off and need to be removed before you install the new console into the vehicle.

If you have the big metal plate between your front seats, you will need to remove that. You may need one bracket to bolt the console to the floor. It's the one that goes in front of the RCM. I believe there is another bracket that goes under the dash, but I did not get that. I ended up with 2 screws holding the center console to the dash and 4 screws holding it to the floor. I sourced my mounting screws from the local hardware store for a few dollars.

I had to extend the wiring for my rear power port (mine is under the armrest panel, not in the back panel.

The center console and the side trim can be installed without removing the front seats, but it is a bit easier if you remove the front seats.

Just an FYI - I believe 2016 changed from the grey/silver trim to the satin black trim, so your 2014 center console won't be an exact match in a 2016+.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CloudPuncher

CloudPuncher New Member

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll post the outcome when I'm done in a few weeks.

4. dalton arkansas

dalton arkansas New Member

City, State:
      Pocahontas Arkansas
      2016 Police Interceptor
      I bought a aftermarket jeep console and bolted it to the factory plate, material even matches the seats.

• Like Like x 1
    5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum dalton.:wave:
      You know members are going to want to see pictures.:)

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    6. 2016PUI

2016PUI New Member

City, State:
      DC
      2016 Ford Explorer PUI
      were you able to find the mounting brackets?