Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU' started by mjshaw80, November 16, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Police Interceptor 2013
      Possibly....Here's some pics of it installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Lightn95

Lightn95 New Member

2013 PIU
      Wow....Id be interested in one of those.

4. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Police Interceptor 2013
      As you can see it reuses the factory trim piece that goes around the shifter boot and it clips into the clips that are already there. I purposely made the clips wider on the 3d printed portion so they can be dremeled down to exact fit.

I can also print custom plugs for all the aftermarket accesories that were taken out. In my case i have holes on the A pillar, roof, and 6 holes in the B-pillar. Some of the PIUs i was looking at auction had a bunch of holes in the hatch trim and doors.

I'll take pics of the ones i have on there.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      Well done and well thought out. Let us know if you want to start making them :) Is the round on in the Select-shift hole your creation as well?

6. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Police Interceptor 2013
      No, the console i got already came with it. I guess if it doent have the mode selector knob, it comes with a coin tray.
      Would there be interest in plugs to fill up holes as well?

• Like Like x 1
    7. 2013PIU

2013PIU Elite Explorer

City, State:
      WALNUT CREEK, CA
      2013 PIU
      Great work. Any chance you're willing to share the .stl file? I'd like to take a crack at printing one tomorrow. Is yours PLA or ABS?

8. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      Lucky for me my 2015 PIU did not have too many holes, but...... I do have this big whopper of a hole in the overhead, I've been trying to fill (see overhead thread). The other holes I have are on the bottom edge of the rear lift gate. Facing downward closed, but straight out when open (about 4 be 1 1/2) so guessing they were lights???? No idea what to do with them, but maybe just plug them. Would have been nice to have pictures of all the stuff taken out when mine went civilian as it would take much of the guesswork away.

9. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Police Interceptor 2013
      Take some pics of em...i'm sure designing something to fit the holes wouldnt be too difficult

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    10. YEGLR

YEGLR New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      2013 Ford Explorer PI

Would you print one for me?

11. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      Tailgate holes. As you can see, odd location unless it was some sort of strobe for when hatch was open.

12. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Police Interceptor 2013
      Yea i've seen those before. Shouldnt be very diffucult to design a plug for it. I'd need the width and height of the hole, plus would you want the screw holes covered as well?

13. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Police Interceptor 2013
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one is a bit too small, you can see the edge of the roof liner peeking out so i'm gonna print one with a bit wider lip to compensate

• Like Like x 2
    14. Lightn95

Lightn95 New Member

2013 PIU
      I'm definitely interested in the gear selector cubby you made and possibly one for the 4x4 selector. Do you have a ballpark on price for them?

15. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU

The tailgate holes aren't to visible so those can be pretty rough. The tough one is the roof hole as it is not only visible, but large. Thinking of mounting a set of Home Link remote buttons there and maybe a pair of reading lights. Can holes be drilled in printed parts or are they too brittle for that??

PIU Overhead.jpg

16. KayGee

KayGee Active Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      '16 & '17 PIU
      The cupholder storage space is kind of neat - what was the cost to have it printed?

As for other holes in plastic trim, has anyone just thought of using any of the various body plugs or other plugs available at most auto parts/hardware stores? Not bashing anyone, but they don't look any better/worse than the 3d printed plugs above. They come in a lot of sizes/styles and it isn't that hard to drill/dremel the holes to fit whatever plugs you can find.

As for the headliner filler piece, I think I would have just opted for a cheap piece of black kydex cut into a round/rectangular shape to cover the hole. With some of the substantial damage to headliners in these vehicles, I think I would look into removing it and trying to find a local shop that could repair/recover for a reasonable price or try a DIY repair/recover. How To: Recovering Headliners 60+ photos

Not bashing anyone - just my 2 cents.

17. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Police Interceptor 2013
      I dont see any bashing? Anyone else? Constructive criticism is always appreciated. If you dont have access to a 3D printer, body plugs are the next best thing, and IMO perfectly acceptable. I have an access to a printer so for me its easier to measure and print something than to drive down to the store, hopefully find something suitable and i hope it works. As far as the kydex idea, the biggest issue is how to attach to the headliner, also kydex isnt cheap last time i looked into making something out of it.

Cost of the printing material isnt a lot, Around $30 for 2lb roll. The cost comes from me sitting there designing something.

As far as the roof panel, no issues there, i use ABS to print and it can be drilled, cut etc to add things down the line. I have a large scale printer so anything up to 11"x11" can be printed.

I ordered some LED cobs to integrate into the holes where the lights used to be...see how that turns out.

Last edited by a moderator: January 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Fedon

Fedon New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Police Interceptor 2013
      Okay scratch that. The power to be deemed I need to pay to sell you things.

Screw that, this is something I wanted to offer to you guys as a way to pay it back for the info provided here. I make a good living doing my day job, this 3D printing stuff is just a hobby for me and I'm certainly not gonna have more people hands in my pocket to offer back to the community.

• Like Like x 1
    19. 2013PIU

2013PIU Elite Explorer

City, State:
      WALNUT CREEK, CA
      2013 PIU
      The mods can be overbearing at times I know. A lot of local libraries now will allow access to their 3D printers. If you can upload the cubby files to Thingiverse you would greatly be helping the community.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      Ok I see how the Kydex could be useful, if it can be found in thick enough sheets. Maybe I could even do a fabric wrap on it to make it look a little nicer. BUT the shifter cubby hole, not sure how that could be made??? I suppose a wooden plug with the Kydex molded around that, but 3D printing seems the way to go there as shape is too complex. Thanks for all the feedback as it is good to hear what others are doing or have done.
      Yes think a pair of lights and their switches flanking the Home Link unit will be sweet.

21. KayGee

KayGee Active Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      '16 & '17 PIU
      I only suggested kydez or a similar scrap of plastic for covering the larger holes in the headliner. I don't see it working out well for the cubby.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    22. Lightn95

Lightn95 New Member

2013 PIU
      I sent you a PM. Could you email me a copy of that file too?

23. YEGLR

YEGLR New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      2013 Ford Explorer PI
      Hi there .. do you still have this console ?

24. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      I have a 2015 Police and just bought from EBay a console from a 2014 that had Select shift, rear heat controls and Sync. The Select Shift knob will go and I'll figure out some type of cup to put there. The rear heat controls will get filled in with more power ports and maybe light(s). Have to figure out the shift hole as not sure I have access to a 3d printer. BUT.... Funny thing is, I have an extra set of side covers (one console purchased from EBay only received the side covers :( ). So if the console is still out there you can have my side panels.

25. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      I might be able to buy a couple of MakerBot 3D printers (brand new) for 75% off. Would your files be compatible with that? I know nothing about 3D printing, but if I can get one cheap, maybe it would be fun to learn.

26. kobresia

kobresia Member

City, State:
      Black Hawk
      2013 PI Utility
      Those are OEM LED strobe holes for when the hatch is open at the side of the road, where anything mounted to the hatch (traffic advisor or primary strobes) would not be visible. That's usually a dead giveaway that the PIU was ordered with the "ready for the road" package from Ford, which was pricey, but would be essentially ready to use as a slick-top car for supervisors, or at least needing minimal upfit to add a prisoner/K-9 cage or what have you. Here's a brochure for the newer factory options: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/police-vehicles/2017 Police Interceptor Utility Lighting Packages 10-7-16.pdf

Check inside your headlights and taillights, and behind the bumper cover on the driver's side...there's a good chance that you have hideaway (HAW) strobe light solutions front & rear, as well as a siren speaker behind the bumper. It takes a bit of work to remove those all, and leaves ugly holes that let water into the headlights & taillights if not sealed properly, so it's also good to check to make sure you don't have unsealed holes. You can see what the headlight HAWs look like in mine, in the PIU photo thread, they're in the upper rear corner inside the clear headlight lens.

The gaping hole where an extended overhead console could go was probably for a camera DVR/DVD vault with screen (that's where they usually go). Sure, it could be for a light/siren controller as folks in the other thread mentioned, but Ford included a ton of wiring for the lights and sirens in the center console area and behind the cig lighter socket plate, so I strongly doubt someone would've gone through the trouble to put the controller up-top. It'd be a great place to locate a larger overhead console if you found one that looks at home there.

I might have a headliner with less damage than yours if you're interested. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. It came out of a wreck I'm scrapping-out. It's not nice enough that it'd be worth selling as a replacement part, but I've considered cutting it into pieces to sell as patches, too.

Man, sometimes these things just wind-up with holes everywhere.

Did you remove the light from there intentionally? That's a factory-cut hole, some options put a second big dome task light there, but I think the default & all civ models tend to have a very small LED dome light with a nearly flush-fitting black housing.

• Like Like x 1