Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU' started by mjshaw80, November 16, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      15 Explorer PIU
      Mine still has the large round red/white dome light And thinking that might be better in back cargo area, and maybe I'll just swap the two as the rear one seems to be as you describe, very small LED.
      Headliner swap is a thought, but I figured shipping costs would be outrageous, so.... I think I will end up with a filler panel of some sort, with a HomeLink (garage door opener, flanked by a pair of task lights. And you might be correct as to what was there since I have not found a ton of wiring up top except four (4) antennae's!!! Mine had no extra holes in the roof, which I thought was a plus.
      HMmmm, if those back tailgate holes were lights, would be nice to just get a set of those and plug them back in, no fuss no muss. There are also a set of housings flanking the 3rd high mount brake light, which I figured were strobes as well. Of course those were also removed, but seems like there is some extra wiring in lift gate, so.... Thinking the high housings might be neat for a couple of turn signal arrows (like you find in side mirrors).
      Mine did have the separation panel between the rear cargo and back seat, but that came out pretty easily, along with dozens of wires running under the console and floor spine.
      I'll have to look at my lights to see if there are extra holes or not, but having trouble getting your link to open. I guess part of the mystery/fun of one of these PIU's is figuring out what they once were and what hidden surprises they still hold. In my case the company that took it out of service did what I'd consider a poor job, as the wiring was just cut and left in place with wires still connected to power (a couple of 40 amp wires, just left under the floor liner :( Lucky I found that early before much driving. THANKs for the info.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. kobresia

kobresia New Member

City, State:
      Black Hawk
      2013 PI Utility
      If I'm not mistaken, Ford installs Whelen Ion LED strobes in the bottom of the tailgate, that's where I'd start. It does sound like yours had all the RftR options, I can't say I've seen many around with the strobe mounts under the spoiler. The whole package was pretty spendy, with Ford charging far more for those options than the typical upfitter would, and without offering choice of vendor or style, only colors.

If you perform a Google search for "ford ready for the road interceptor", the first few links will be to the brochures, that's what I was trying to link. There's some pretty interesting info in their fleet sales pitches, some of those brochures are lengthy.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      Ok so after the above info, I took closer look at my headlights and found the people who had taken my PIU out of service had in fact taken out the front strobes (can not tell on the rear ones, as I am not sure what I am looking for), and left large gaping hole into light housing. So now I either need to plug that or put back in a light. Is there a less expensive plug and play lamp/socket that I could put in?? If I got one, could I just tie it into the turn signals as I don't really need strobes. Tied in to just emergency flashers would be neat, but not sure that is possible.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I'm guessing sealing the hole may be the less costly option. Otherwise you probably need to replace the entire headlight assembly. Even sealing the hole may negatively affect the ability of the housing to reflect the light properly.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    6. Eric Z

Eric Z Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth Minnesota
      15 Explorer PIU
      Dang that's what I was afraid of... Guessing moisture and dust getting into the light housing is bad. So I will plug those hole as soon as the weather warms :)

7. Kikinz24

Kikinz24 Member

City, State:
      Youngstown, ohio
      2015 Explorer base
      You could also try adding a 194 bulb. A 2008 to 2012 Chevy Malibu uses a round plug for the 194 in the rear bumper cover I haven't personally tried it but might fit there and as for issues with reflecting light that wouldn't be an issue bc of the location of the strobe hole. I was contemplating doing that myself but I opted for a set of factory chrome trimmed headlights

• Like Like x 1