• Register Today It's free!

center console for rear?

Expo4.6

Reaction score
City, State
N. Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT 4.6
This site has saved my car from death a ton of times so thanks to all the stickies and lesser known posts out there. OK so I had 40/20/40 seats in the rear. I unbolted the middle section, took my sawzall and cut off the female ends of the seatbelt. I drilled some holes in the seat frame and bolted 2 9/16 bolts. The lever in the back gave me some trouble so i had to make the bolts short enough so it wouldn't interfere with it. Ran into a little problem with the trim but a dremel solves almost everything in life. My problem now is I have 2 bolts sticking up where the old seat used to be towards the front. My question is what model (ex,mounty,expedition) carries a rear center console I can probably look for in my local recycling yard that can fit in my new empty spot. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This site has saved my car from death a ton of times so thanks to all the stickies and lesser known posts out there. OK so I had 40/20/40 seats in the rear. I unbolted the middle section, took my sawzall and cut off the female ends of the seatbelt. I drilled some holes in the seat frame and bolted 2 9/16 bolts. The lever in the back gave me some trouble so i had to make the bolts short enough so it wouldn't interfere with it. Ran into a little problem with the trim but a dremel solves almost everything in life. My problem now is I have 2 bolts sticking up where the old seat used to be towards the front. My question is what model (ex,mounty,expedition) carries a rear center console I can probably look for in my local recycling yard that can fit in my new empty spot. Thanks

Mountaineer console will fit but the outside seats are wider if it came with a console and probably wont look right. I had the captain chairs and center console in my 04 but needed the middle seat and had to swap them all.

In 04 and later Explorer, Mountaineer, and Aviator the 2nd row buckets and console were optional. make sure you get the floor mount bracket too. But as the other poster mentioned, the actual buckets were wider, so you will have a bit of a gap between the console and each seat. That's a pic of the buckets and console that I swapped into my vehicle.

Second row.jpg

In 04 and later Explorer, Mountaineer, and Aviator the 2nd row buckets and console were optional. make sure you get the floor mount bracket too. But as the other poster mentioned, the actual buckets were wider, so you will have a bit of a gap between the console and each seat. That's a pic of the buckets and console that I swapped into my vehicle.

View attachment 84596
Did you put stock ex buckets in the second row? I have a second bucket set and I was wondering if the bolt-in holes under the second row will line up with the front buckets.

Did you put stock ex buckets in the second row? I have a second bucket set and I was wondering if the bolt-in holes under the second row will line up with the front buckets.

The buckets I installed (shown above) are from an 04 Explorer that had the factory option of buckets and console in the 2nd row. Basically, I found a guy with an 04 that had this option and he wanted the 3-seat split bench out of mine. So we just swapped them. If you are thinking of using front buckets the mounts are completely different. The discussion above was about the size difference between the outboard seats of the 3-seat 2nd row and the width of the buckets that came in the 2nd row buckets and console option.

What exactly are the buckets that you have?

Back