Centerline Matrix, Watcha think? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Centerline Matrix, Watcha think?

They really are 18", 18x8.5 for sure. I even measured em to make sure cause they just didn't look like they could be 18s! I measured the backspacing from the surface of the hub to the rear lip and came up with 4.75". I laid a straight edge across the rear and measured down th the hub, is this correct? I think the back will be perfect but I am a little scared by how much is going to stick out up front.:( At least I shouldn't have any rubbing issues right?

I hate to not try em out for as good of a price they were. Tire Rack even gives you lugs, lug adapter and valve stems at no charge! Now if I can just make my freakin' mind up about tires/drop I will be on my way. Still contemplating the Proxes ST/ Scorpion desicion and giving the Nitto 404 a bit of consideration. I really like the look of the Toyo but the Pirelli seems to have it where it counts. The Nitto is sorta half way between them as far as looks are concerned.

Here's a pic of the front clearance.

Attachments

• dsc00868.jpg
    dsc00868.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 389

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Legal?:eek:

Attachments

• dsc00847.jpg
    dsc00847.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 383

Anybody know if a 285/50/18 would fit given all off the clearance I have? Or am I just asking for trouble? Seems like a 50 series sidewall would be perfect but that is a heck of a lotta width to squeeze under there.:rolleyes:

Hmmm, I think they look good. You shouldnt have any troubles with a 285 width. The problem some people run into with a tire that wide is it will hit the upper ball joint. Yours looks like there will be more than enough room for that. I think its gonna look kinda cool with that offset. The pirelli's have an agressive looking tread IMO. I never liked the look of the toyos. The pirelli's are also bi-directional.

Yeah it appears like you have enough clearance but then again your pic as at full droop, the rim will move towards the upper control arm a bit at normal height.

Actually it will stay the same. That is all part of the spindle which the wheel is mounted to. None of that moves. It will move up into the wheel well more, but as far as its position in relation to the upper ball joint/control arm, it will stay the same.

Yeah now that I think of it, you're right. A 285 should be fine then.

A 285 will fit just fine and you'll be so close to legal nobody will harass you. However a 285/50 is a big tire. It'll stand 29.2" tall, have a 5.6" sidewall, and be 10" wide. I thought you were going to drop the X?

It is a big tire. I had my 255/60/17's off today and I forgot how big they were.

A 285/50/18 is just a tad taller than the stock size (0.3" to be exact) and width isn't going to pose a problem for lowering because of the offset. I think that rim and tire size combo will look really agressive.

I have 6" of sidewall and it doesnt look that big. Stock is 6.9". You have to remember that this is still a 2 ton SUV. If you dont keep some rubber between you and the road, you and the truck will take a beating.

Well, 255/55/18 Scorpion Zeros ae on there way. I decided that a 285 is just to much tire at 41lbs a piece. They might have looked cool in the rear but I think it would have been to much up front. I thought about running two sizes but then I can't rotate so the heck with all of that. Plus the 285 are another $20 a piece. Just not worth it to me. I'm getting em drop shipped to a local installer who is going to mount/balance them for $13 a piece. Pretty good I guess? He also told me he wouldn't have any problem taking care of my alignment after I lower it. Should have em rolling by next Wednesday or Thursday if all goes as planned.

After I get em on I will sort out my drop cause it's gonna look like hell without it! I have one inch blocks for the rear, but I am really thinking about going with two inchs. Any suggestions? Will I be able to get the front end low enough and maintain camber with 2" blocks in the rear. I have so much but sag now that I am worried that I will have to bring the front down too much and not be able to keep it in spec.

if youmeasured with a straight edge across the rim flange to the back of the hub and got 4.75" then it probably has a bs of 4.5" b/c you only measure between the bead seats to the width of a rim... not as wide as they are standing on end to end... make sense?

Originally posted by 98X5.0
After I get em on I will sort out my drop cause it's gonna look like hell without it! I have one inch blocks for the rear, but I am really thinking about going with two inchs. Any suggestions? Will I be able to get the front end low enough and maintain camber with 2" blocks in the rear. I have so much but sag now that I am worried that I will have to bring the front down too much and not be able to keep it in spec.
That's what I was worried about and I'm glad I went with 1" blocks. I had my adjuster bolts all the way out and it gave it a slight raked look which I loved. I ended up putting the bolts back in and raising it 1/2" because there was some binding going on up front. I dont have the money to be replacing ball joints and CV's every year. I'm happy with my 1" blocks..... of course if I didnt have 4wd it would be dropped 3" :D

Well, here it is. I am very happy with how these turned out. Obviously need to get the drop done, but I wanted to at least get a pic or two for you all to see. Sorry it is so freakin' dirty. I will get some better pics up after I give it a good bath. Check out the Zeros. Seems they have a revised tread style and no longer have the little yellow guy on em. I REALLY like the way they look, however, and I swear it rides better than it did with the stock stuff! I can feel the additional weight/height when I accelerate so I guess an Apten will be in store soon to regain the lost juice.

Forgot something:rolleyes:

Attachments

• rimjob.jpg
    rimjob.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 341

... and you forgot the pic!

(BTW, I have a superchip for sale.)

New tread pattern

Attachments

• zero.jpg
    zero.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 335

Looks really good! The drop will make it look even better.

When you get better pics, snap a couple of the tread. I wanna see how it changed.

I guess I'm just a little too slow. The tread looks the same just has 2 rows of Z's. I know some of the larger ones have that. I saw a some Zeros on a set of 24" spinners and they had 2 rows.

Looks really good!

BTW, your truck is sooooo dirty :rolleyes:

Another tread shot

Attachments

• tread.jpg
    tread.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 329

man that looks sweet! I am so jealous. Are those 255/55-18?
sorry, edit: saw in earlier post those are 255/55/18. same as i want:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks awesome. itll look even better when lowered. im about to order those same tires this week, only in 255/60/17 and 275/55/17's. not my first choice, but its the only company besides Michelin that makes those 2 sizes.

Back