Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ceramic vs. Semi-Metallic Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by hoffz31, April 17, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. hoffz31

hoffz31 New Member

City, State:
      Glenville, NY
      Year and Model:
      2005 Explorer Limited
      Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have 2005 Explorer Limited V8 4wd. It needs new pads and rotors all the way around. I was wondering what brand of brake pads and rotors people are using. My main concern is noise and stopping power. I will be doing some light towing (top soil in a utility trailer) with it in the future. I was leaning towards Hawk LTS pads and Centric Plain 120 Series rotors from the Tire Rack.

Any feedback is appreciated

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From what I know and was told about ceramic pads is that they wear down your rotors faster because they are a harder pad than semi-metallic's. The ceramic material is harder. They are suppose to be a quieter pad and I am currently running them on the front of the vehicle. Wagner Thermo-Quiet. I've got a little over a year on them and around 6,500 miles so we'll see how long they last. Bought them by accident thinking the parts guy was giving me the Wagner semi-metallics, but I kept them anyhow. No problems with braking. Not crazy about the pad thickeness on them, semi metallics appear to be a thicker pad out of the box. I have also had good luck with Advance Auto Parts "Wearever Gold" semi metallic brake pads and they didn't make any unwanted brake noise. I usually buy the Wearever Rotors as well, but I may go Wagner rotors on the front when my current ones wear out. I guess it comes down to how much you want to pay for brake pads and rotors. Not familiar with the Tire Rack brands you mentioned here.

4. hoffz31

hoffz31 New Member

City, State:
      Glenville, NY
      Year and Model:
      2005 Explorer Limited
      Thanks,

The Wagner Thermo-Quiet are ceramic pads then? The Thermo-Quiet are about $15 more than the Wear-Ever Platinum Ceramic Pads. My local mechanic is using the Wear-Ever pads and rotors. I am not sure if he is using the gold or Platinum ones.

5. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L

6. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, MI
      Year and Model:
      '10 Sport Trac
      I also have a heep at 16yr 190k mi. i put Wagner Thermo-Quiets and some super cheap rotors to keep costs down; they actually stop very well, great pedal feel, no fade, no dust for $80. This isn't driven very much so i no idea on how long they will last. If i had done the rears to it would have been about $200 total.

For the Ex at about 25k miles ago I went all out, researched it the heck out of it. So i bought top line Ceramic pads @4 for $160, rotors cost about $200 for 4, rear parking shoes where another $30, more or less cost $400 in parts. Pedal is softer, no fade, no dust, and still have more than 50% left.

For all $200 or so difference both work well but the heep stops better, go figure? There is a lot of Marketing out there. . . :dunno:

7. turborich

turborich Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      It's your choice. Ceramics have less dusting on your wheels and usually have a shim on the pad since it's a premium pad (less noise) I have ceramics on mine and they work just fine. They don't wear down your rotors any faster than a semi metallic. A heavy braking foot does this.