Changing Rear Brakes on 92 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Rear Brakes on 92 Explorer

chitlins74

Reaction score
City, State
austin, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Anything I should be aware of? I changed the rear brakes and when I brake hard, the brakes lock and I can't drive forward or reverse. I have to compress the pedal one time and frees them up. This only started after I changed the brakes. I changed out the pads and rebuild the wheel cylindar kits on both sides. ABS comes on, but feels like the front are taking most of the stopping. I have bled all 4 to clear the system and this has helped alot. I dont know ABS well. Is there an adjustment I need to make to calibrate ABS properly for 92 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you have your drums machined? If you doidnt replace them I hope you did. a lip builds up and its nasty to deal with. Anyway sounds like you have the adjuster too tight. Jack up the entire rear end and see if you can rotate the wheel by hand (in neutral of course) If you cant or if it is hard back the adjusters down some.

You have the adjuster set wrong. If you don't know how to adjsut them let me know. It's really simple.

Whoa its like i already said that or something :)

Not everyone takes advice from someone who calls himself "The Rookie" ;)

This is true. I call myself the rookie from a shop I worked in for a few years. There were 3 mechanics there and 2 installers. There was me with a few years experience, Another guy that had been wrenching since age 12 and was then 41. And the guy who taught him, Who was then 68. Hence Rookie. The two guys I worked with were 2 of the best mechanics I have ever met. My piddly 6 years experience was nothing to what either of them know.

same

OK I backed off the adjuster a little bit. Didn't seem to tight.I did check it when I rebuilt the brakes. I set it so the drum fit back on snuggly. To adjust them dont you have to do a series of backups and hardstops?

The problem only happens when I jam on the brakes really hard. It makes this fluttering noise and I can feel the pedal fluttering a little bit then it locks. I can then press the brake pedal and let go, and it releases them from a lock.

It doesn't feel like ABS is working the way it should though. When I hit the brakes now (not too hard) the back tends to lock and fish left a little bit, and does not roll to a quick stop like ABS does. What do you think?

:confused:

chitlins74 said:
OK I backed off the adjuster a little bit. Didn't seem to tight.I did check it when I rebuilt the brakes. I set it so the drum fit back on snuggly. To adjust them dont you have to do a series of backups and hardstops?

The problem only happens when I jam on the brakes really hard. It makes this fluttering noise and I can feel the pedal fluttering a little bit then it locks. I can then press the brake pedal and let go, and it releases them from a lock.

It doesn't feel like ABS is working the way it should though. When I hit the brakes now (not too hard) the back tends to lock and fish left a little bit, and does not roll to a quick stop like ABS does. What do you think?

this might be a long shot.

Check the ABS sensor on the differential, right above the pinion flange (where the driveshaft connects to the axle).

If that looks ok, then maybe the ABS ring in the differential is messed up? i dont see how that would happen (esspecially if the differential still works!) But thats the last part in the ABS chain...

if those two check out OK, then you should look towards what controls the ABS... computer?

Back