1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

changing throw out bearing

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by antiquecar, August 30, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. antiquecar

antiquecar New Member

City, State:
      ft. thomas, ky
      Year and Model:
      I have a 97 with a manual transmisssion. i have the Tran. out and can not figure how to remove the old throw out bearing from the slave and install the new one. It has got to be simple.
      Thanks in advance

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      It's been a while, so I forget if it twists off (counterclockwise) or if there's a small spring clip. Slide the bearing down and see if there's a clip.

Are you replacing just the bearing and not the slave? If you're in there, you really ought to replace the slave. It's the most common failure point in these manual trannys.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

4. HahnsB2

HahnsB2 Active Member

City, State:
      Battle Ground WA
      Year and Model:
      88 Bronco II
      You really just have to pull hard to remove the bearing. Don't be cheap, replace both, I thought I could get away with just the throwout bearing, I felt stupid the next day when I had to pull my tranny again to replace a leaking slave.

5. antiquecar

antiquecar New Member

City, State:
      ft. thomas, ky
      Year and Model:
      still need help on the throw out.

Well the original had a thin retaining washer which I removed but the new one has a nylon clip. Do I need to try and install the old retaining washer. If so I need to remove the trans again since I didn't but thought about it later. Should have drank more.
      Thanks
      Jan