1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Changing tires, what size compressor and impact wrench

Discussion in 'Tools and Garage' started by Marcus Aurelius, November 26, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius Active Member

City, State:
      Toms River, NJ
      Year and Model:
      2001 XLT
      It's getting about time I need to rotate my tires and I'd like to do it myself. What sized air compressor do I need, based on horsepower, gallon size, etc., to rotate the tires on my explorer and what sized impact wrench do I need, either 1/2" or 3/8". I'd like to help my parents out christmas shopping so they pick up the right tools for the job. Thanks for any possible input.

-Marc

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      Year and Model:
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      1/2" impact. The Ingresall rand ones are nice but are $$$. I have a harbor freight earthquake series and for the price it works well. I wouldn't want to use it daily though. It is heavy. For a compressor get an oil bath one. The oiless ones are LOUD. Did I mention they are LOUD. Anthing over about 15 gallons would work. A 25 or bigger would let you grow into it and use more air tools.

4. rhauf

rhauf Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ca
      Year and Model:
      '93 and '91 explorer
      i never use anything more than a jack, a jackstand (or second jack) and an X shaped tire wrench for tire changing/rotation etc. if you put on you're wheel lugs with an impact wrench you're asking for problems IMO (too tight, hard to torque evenly, etc)

but if you're looking for air tools, i agree with what Rockranger said.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      Year and Model:
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      I agree, if you dont need a compressor for anything else than changing tires a good cordless impact is a nice tool to have. Get a good brand like Milwaukee or Dewalt.

7. Marcus Aurelius

City, State:
      Toms River, NJ
      Year and Model:
      2001 XLT
      I don't plan on using the compressor that much. Mostly for rotating tires, but also for some woordworking projects. I would not use it to put the lugs back on, it was mainly for removing the lugs. I want to lessen my chance of stripping the threads on the lugs, so I would always use a torque wrench. It's just sometimes the lug nuts are on a little too tight to do by hand, so I thought the impact wrench might help.

-Marc

8. rhauf

rhauf Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ca
      Year and Model:
      '93 and '91 explorer
      the impact wrench may help if its a good strong one, although the cheap harbor freight impact wrench i have is far less powerful than just using a wrench. (yeah its junk)

i have a suggestion though, if you don't do this already, you should clean the threads of you're wheel lugs (if they're rusty or dirty) and put a little oil, or grease on them before putting them back on. that will prevent them from rusting, they will torque properly, and they'll come off nicely next time. and no, they wont come loose on their own from being oiled (bolts are normally oiled before they are torqued).

9. Marcus Aurelius

City, State:
      Toms River, NJ
      Year and Model:
      2001 XLT
      From your opinions, I have come to the conclusion that an air compressor and impact wrench aren't necessary. I will probably just end up using the x-shaped wrench it comes with or a battery powered impact wrench for the occasional small job. Thanks again.

-Marc

10. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      Year and Model:
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Marc - I blew up my air impact yesterday during a tire rotation so I borrowed my neighbors electric Milwaukee to finish the job. I'll be buying one today. I was absolutely awesome and fast.

[​IMG]
      http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
      He got it for $119 at a local fastener store.

Of course I usually just use the T wrench on the Explorer.. but since the Superduty has so many dang lug nuts, a powered wrench is almost required. :D

11. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Home Depot has it for $169 when I clicked onto the link. It's pretty powerful @ 300 LBS. I have a similar one from Ingersoll Rand that is 290 LBS, and cost more. I once burned it up, and had to purchase a replacement armature, and stator. I think it was around $60 for the parts. There are cordless versions with a high torque rating if you need something portable.