Changing trans fluid on a 2006 XLT, not recommended? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing trans fluid on a 2006 XLT, not recommended?

mikeh1

Reaction score
City, State
Van Nuys, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLS 2WD 4.0 L
I have a 2006 XLT V6 4.0 L. with 100,600 miles, I've been to several local shops, including the local Ford dealer, and all are very hesitant to change the transmission fluid because of the mileage. I don't think it's ever been changed. What is their concern with changing the fluid at this time?

Not the change, they don't want to do a flush. A flush will destroy it. Private shops wont do it because they need to get Mercon V fluid, as nothing else will work. I'm surprised the stealership wouldn't drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Its a license to print money.

The service tech at the dealership (the largest in the U.S., Galpin) won't even do the fluid and filter change, says if there's any dirt or anything in the worn out gears, a fluid change will clean it out and it won't work the same. I kinda understand that, but I'm not a transmission expert, so haven't a clue. I would think at least the filter needed to be changed, since it's possibly the original.

I'd hate to drive it until the transmission died, it would be much more to fix than the $249 the dealer wants to change the fluid.

Well, it finally bit the dust. "D" started acting like "N", followed by "R", then "3". Managed to limp to the mechanic in second. When I got it back, sometimes Reverse wouldn't work, and it would shift real rough into third and fourth, also "Wrench" light was on. Took it back, and now it is running perfectly. The mechanic also bought the tool for fluid changes and recommends changing it every 30,000. Cost $2K, including new valve body.

Back