Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Changing trans fluid on a 2006 XLT, not recommended?

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by mikeh1, March 5, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mikeh1

mikeh1 New Member

City, State:
      Van Nuys, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 XLS 2WD 4.0 L
      I have a 2006 XLT V6 4.0 L. with 100,600 miles, I've been to several local shops, including the local Ford dealer, and all are very hesitant to change the transmission fluid because of the mileage. I don't think it's ever been changed. What is their concern with changing the fluid at this time?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Not the change, they don't want to do a flush. A flush will destroy it. Private shops wont do it because they need to get Mercon V fluid, as nothing else will work. I'm surprised the stealership wouldn't drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Its a license to print money.

4. mikeh1

mikeh1 New Member

City, State:
      Van Nuys, CA
      2006 XLS 2WD 4.0 L
      The service tech at the dealership (the largest in the U.S., Galpin) won't even do the fluid and filter change, says if there's any dirt or anything in the worn out gears, a fluid change will clean it out and it won't work the same. I kinda understand that, but I'm not a transmission expert, so haven't a clue. I would think at least the filter needed to be changed, since it's possibly the original.

I'd hate to drive it until the transmission died, it would be much more to fix than the $249 the dealer wants to change the fluid.