Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Chasing a 565 code (canister purge solenoid)

Discussion in 'EEC IV' started by motopsycho650, June 7, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. motopsycho650

motopsycho650 Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT
      So, I actually have 2 '94 explorer xlt's. One has rear collision damage, but runs great with no codes. A planned engine donor for my other one.

The other has a key on engine off 565 code. There are no other symptoms, like rough idling or a strong fuel smell…

This morning I swapped the canister purge solenoids between the two. Remember, the wrecked explorer have no codes, so the solenoid should be good. Unfortunately, my second explorer still shows the 565 code.

I found a wire schematic, and it is a very simple circuit. A red wire from the Computer provides the voltage, and a gray/yellow wire returns the signal back to the computer.

Obviously I need to test the voltage at the solenoid to make sure it is getting power. Any idea how much voltage I should be detecting?

Secondly, The gray/yellow wire that returns to the computer, shouldn't I be able to do a simple ohm test from the solenoid to the computer pin to verify A solid connection?

Here is a link to my wiring schematic. I was going to tag it but it said the link was too long.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/zne...96b43f/80/21/19/76/large/0996b43f80211976.gif

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.