Chasing a 565 code (canister purge solenoid) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chasing a 565 code (canister purge solenoid)

motopsycho650

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
So, I actually have 2 '94 explorer xlt's. One has rear collision damage, but runs great with no codes. A planned engine donor for my other one.

The other has a key on engine off 565 code. There are no other symptoms, like rough idling or a strong fuel smell…

This morning I swapped the canister purge solenoids between the two. Remember, the wrecked explorer have no codes, so the solenoid should be good. Unfortunately, my second explorer still shows the 565 code.

I found a wire schematic, and it is a very simple circuit. A red wire from the Computer provides the voltage, and a gray/yellow wire returns the signal back to the computer.

Obviously I need to test the voltage at the solenoid to make sure it is getting power. Any idea how much voltage I should be detecting?

Secondly, The gray/yellow wire that returns to the computer, shouldn't I be able to do a simple ohm test from the solenoid to the computer pin to verify A solid connection?

Here is a link to my wiring schematic. I was going to tag it but it said the link was too long.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/zne...96b43f/80/21/19/76/large/0996b43f80211976.gif

Back