Check Aftermarket TRE Boot Orientation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Aftermarket TRE Boot Orientation

swshawaii

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
Factory dust shields have vent holes that are located next to the tie rod ends. First pic shows brand new Moog ES3667 outer tie rods with square shaped "grease relief" valves on the bottom. Moog pre installs outer tie rod ends with no regard to grease valve position. Bottom pics show grease contacting the inner rotor with less than 1/4" clearance. Besides rupturing, this is another reason dust boots should never be overfilled. As with lower and upper ball joints, position the valves facing inboard towards the engine. Chances are my low mileage inner pads are ruined due to this oversight

New20TRE20Side20By20Side.jpg

Shield20Vent.jpg
Grease20On20Inner20Rotor.jpg

Previously in the "WHOOPS!!" sub forum. Re-posted here for better visibility. Please delete other thread if necessary.

Thanks Phil. BTW, the top pic is another pair of outer tie rods I was comparing. The installed driver side TRE valve shown
in the bottom pics was facing the rotor. I have the worst luck with Moog dust boots, not from over filling either. I now have another torn passenger side lower ball joint boot. I'll replace the LBJ boot with a spare Moog sent me under warranty, and check the passenger side TRE valve position while I have everything apart. I love Moog's build quality on their premium "Problem Solver" line, but hope they improve their dust boots like they did on their new K8695T lowers.

Back