'Check Charging System' warning

Digipixel

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hello All

I own a 2004 4.0L V6 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Current Mileage = 111,500 miles.It's has in it the third rebuilt transmission.

Backstory: On July 5th when I started it, I could hear the alternator whining AND the 'Check charging system' warning pops up AND the red battery light flashes. On July 6th, I take it too a Starter and Alternator rebuild shop nearby. I watched the owner disassemble the ALT and showed me where a diode on the diode bridge was scorched/broken. He cleaned all the parts and rebuilt the ALT with two new shaft bearings, new diode bridge and new voltage regulator. He then bench tested the rebuilt unti where I watched the output at 13.8 V at 125 amps. I carefully re-attached all wires and connectors, cleaned the battery terminals and cables.

Today (7/12/2015), once again the system warning center flashes 'Check Charging System' and the red battery indicator light blinks. I take it to O'Reillys and the very nice tech attaches the battery tester. The battery passes the 625 CCA test no problem. He has me start the car with ALL systems turned off, meaning no AC/radio/lights - the car just idles - ALT passes the test. He then has me turn on AC/FAN/Lights, etc; diodes read fine but the voltage regulator test fails. The battery/ALT tester reads the operating voltage when all items are turned on, and it read 12.59 volts on the battery terminals. This matches precisely the voltage I read with my digital volt meter.

Any assistance and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely - Digipixel. :salute:.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would bring it back to the alternator shop and see what they have to say. If all your connections and cables are good you shouldn't be having this problem.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Hello All

Mystery Solved! The Harmonic Balancer needed replacing. For those of you who don't know, the crankshaft at the bottom has a large pulley attached to it. This pulley provides energy to the Serpentine belt. This item is called a Harmonic Balancer. Harmonic since it spins in a circle, and balancer since it is balanced just like a tire.

This particular unit has rubber between the the portion that attaches to the crankshaft (engine), and the 'pulley' portion that drives the belt. WHEN THE RUBBER GIVES WAY (wears out), THE CRANKSHAFT (engine) CAN NO LONGER GRIP THE PULLEY AND THEREFORE THE ENERGY FROM THE ENGINE CAN NOT TURN THE SERPENTINE BELT! Said another way, every device that relies on the harmonic balancer would not work properly. Everything run by the big belt under the hood will not receive enough energy to operate properly such as the Water Pump, Power Steering, AC, Alternator. All of these systems will suffer. This explains the low electrical voltage when the AC was turned on.

I do not have the tools required to remove and replace. The mechanic said I was lucky to have discovered this because the pulley could have come off the center piece on the highway and collided with the radiator and radiator fan. This has the POTENTIAL to destroy many items under the hood. Just wanted to put it in terms everyone can understand since not everyone on this forum is a car buff.

$140 for the part, and the shop charged $150 to replace and test all systems after fixing. Feels like a new-healthy car now. The AC rocks again.

Comments Welcome!

Sincerely
Huey a.k.a. Digipixel.

Harmoinc Balancer - erroded rubber!

I would bring it back to the alternator shop and see what they have to say. If all your connections and cables are good you shouldn't be having this problem.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Hello Rick - Briefly, the rubber in the harmonic balancer completely eroded and the pulley was slipping. The clue was at the Alternator shop. As I rev'ed the engine, the white lettering on the NEW serpentine belt got slower. The Alternator shop owner said, shut off the engine. We looked and the harmonic balancer rubber was disintegrated.

Sincerely
Huey aka Digipixel.

Hello Rick - Briefly, the rubber in the harmonic balancer completely eroded and the pulley was slipping. The clue was at the Alternator shop. As I rev'ed the engine, the white lettering on the NEW serpentine belt got slower. The Alternator shop owner said, shut off the engine. We looked and the harmonic balancer rubber was disintegrated.

Sincerely
Huey aka Digipixel.

Sorry better explanation - " As I reve'ed the engine, the white lettering on the NEW serpentine belt rotated more slowly, when in fact it should have sped up to the point where we couldn't see it anymore."

That's a good find. I wouldn't have thought about that as a possible issue. Thanks for letting us know what the problem was:chug:

Hello,

Having something a little like that, 7 days ago I went to start my 2007 ford sport trac and it would not start or turn over and I got the check charging system on the inside. Checked the alternator battery all good, cleaned battery as well. I disconnect the battery and the alternator and then put every thing back together and it was working again for about 7 days and then again same thing hard to start then I let it sit for about 5 hours and it starts again.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

I had been having the same issue, charge system failure comes on and truck shuts down usually in rainy weather. Battery is new, cables new, alternator shows good, just changed harmonic balancer (was bad) and was doing good. Then today it ran fine on way to work in rain but has been a dowpour all day and came out to it doing it again. It will start and run for a few minutes then shut down with same message. Not sure what else it could be?

Hello All

I own a 2004 4.0L V6 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Current Mileage = 111,500 miles.It's has in it the third rebuilt transmission.

Backstory: On July 5th when I started it, I could hear the alternator whining AND the 'Check charging system' warning pops up AND the red battery light flashes. On July 6th, I take it too a Starter and Alternator rebuild shop nearby. I watched the owner disassemble the ALT and showed me where a diode on the diode bridge was scorched/broken. He cleaned all the parts and rebuilt the ALT with two new shaft bearings, new diode bridge and new voltage regulator. He then bench tested the rebuilt unti where I watched the output at 13.8 V at 125 amps. I carefully re-attached all wires and connectors, cleaned the battery terminals and cables.

Today (7/12/2015), once again the system warning center flashes 'Check Charging System' and the red battery indicator light blinks. I take it to O'Reillys and the very nice tech attaches the battery tester. The battery passes the 625 CCA test no problem. He has me start the car with ALL systems turned off, meaning no AC/radio/lights - the car just idles - ALT passes the test. He then has me turn on AC/FAN/Lights, etc; diodes read fine but the voltage regulator test fails. The battery/ALT tester reads the operating voltage when all items are turned on, and it read 12.59 volts on the battery terminals. This matches precisely the voltage I read with my digital volt meter.

Any assistance and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely - Digipixel. :salute:.
Hello All

With the help of a Generator rebuild shop, replaced the rotor and carbon brushes. Everything fine now!

Sincerely
Digipixel

Back