1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Check Engine light flashing!!!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Heeman12, November 22, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Heeman12

Heeman12 New Member

City, State:
      Palm Harbor, FL
      Year and Model:
      '04 xls
      I have an 04 Explorer and the check engine light has been going on and off for a few months. Had it checked a while ago and it was the egr valve, no big deal. Today the light started flashing and the car started shaking pretty good. Had the car towed to ford. Waiting to hear from them. Any ideas? Bad Coils?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
      Year and Model:
      No Mounty no more.
      Most likely a bad plug or bad plug wire.

4. Lebowski

Lebowski New Member

City, State:
      Crestwood, KY
      Year and Model:
      2005 Explorer 4x4
      You should post your problem here BEFORE taking it to the dealer. You could fix that problem for less than $10 and the dealer will probably charge you at least ten times that amount....:rolleyes:

5. Heeman12

Heeman12 New Member

City, State:
      Palm Harbor, FL
      Year and Model:
      '04 xls
      I asked about possible coil problems and he said definetly not the issue. He says that there is no compression in 2 cylinders. Now only option is for them to do a complete pressure check and just the test will cost $300. How much trouble am i in?

6. matt0248

matt0248 Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT V8
      Get a second opinion. Have it towed somewhere else. However the 4.0 liters do have timing chain issues. so it is possible that the chain sliped and bent valves.

7. TK@96789

TK@96789 New Member

Year and Model:
      Ford Explorer XLT
      I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT with 170,000 miles. Yesterday car lost power and began to shake and check engine light began to flash. Someone behind me said my vehicle had a strong gas smell. Picked up a diagnostci tool and told misfire detected on startup and cylinders 1,2,and 3 misfired (P0316,P0301,P0302 and P0302). Changed out my ignition coil and everything seems fine (power back, no check engine light and car not shaking). Hope this helps anyone who has this problem.