and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Check fuel cap warning light

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by soupbone, November 29, 2001.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. soupbone

soupbone Active Member

City, State:
      Hayward,CA
      Year and Model:
      '00 Sport 4WD
      On the way back from Reno & Tahoe the *check fuel cap light* came on. So i pulled over and checked the cap. Everything looked ok to me so kept going. No fuel leaks or anything I could find. Then the next day the *check engine* light comes on. however everything seems to be fine and it drives normal. Im at 38k miles right now.

Any ideas on what the problem is?
      :(

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CBoug76

CBoug76 Elite Explorer ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dracut, MA
      Year and Model:
      1997 Sport
      Did you fill up with gas while the Engine was running?

The Fuel systems runs Pressurized. and if the cap is off while the engine is running then you could get this problem. Also your Cap may have leaked some air into the tank while the engine was running, if it keeps happening after you clear the codes from the computer, I would go and get a new Gas cap. this should solve your problem, if it doesn't then you have something else wrong.

4. soupbone

soupbone Active Member

City, State:
      Hayward,CA
      Year and Model:
      '00 Sport 4WD
      Nope I always shut the engine off. But ill check the cap at lunch time a little closer. Can I clear it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few mintutes right? Maybe get a new cap from the dealer down the street then go from there. Hopefully its not something bad.

Thanks CBoug76

5. sparkyputerguy

sparkyputerguy New Member

City, State:
      Leesburg, VA
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4X4 OHV
      I had the same thing happen to my '00 XLT at 500 miles. The dealer accused me of not tightening the cap enough after gassing up, and at the time, I thought it could have been possible.... until it happened again at 6000 miles.

Then I had them check it out again during an oil change and it turns out the cap was defective and was replaced under warranty.

6. jimmiecakes

jimmiecakes Active Member

City, State:
      Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
      Year and Model:
      92 XL 4X4
      OEM cap will probably be your best bet. I've seen a number of <insert big name brand here> caps that can't cut the mustard.

7. jimmiecakes

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      92 XL 4X4
      Oops.... almost forgot. The fuel tank evporative emissions system is an important part of the overall emission control system. The check engine light is *most likely* because the ECM has seen persistent failure of the evap system This particular DTC takes more than one drive cycle to set.

Bear in mind that there may be other reasons for the failure - purge valve and solenoid, damaged plumbing, etc. At 38K miles, this should still be covered under the emission controls warranty

8. Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp Elite Moderator Emeritus Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Greenville, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
      This could also be caused by overfilling (milking) the gas tank. If you fill it to the top some fouls up the evop. system and will through a code. Happens to my brother all the time.

9. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      Year and Model:
      '97 4x4 Sport
      Not unless he is in California. Sometime between my '94 Ranger and my '97 Explorer the emissions warranty requirements have changed. On my '97 the only things that have a longer warranty than the standard 3 year/36K warranty are the catalytic converter and PCM. They are covered to 8 years/80K miles. Disregarding the items that Ford has extended the warranty on due to frequent problems (throttle body, camshaft tensioners, etc.)

10. jimmiecakes

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      92 XL 4X4
      Thanks for the note.... I haven't heard if we've had similar changes in Canada.

Mind you, Alberta still doesn't even have anti-tampering laws, yet.......