• Register Today It's free!

Check fuel cap warning light

soupbone

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4WD
On the way back from Reno & Tahoe the *check fuel cap light* came on. So i pulled over and checked the cap. Everything looked ok to me so kept going. No fuel leaks or anything I could find. Then the next day the *check engine* light comes on. however everything seems to be fine and it drives normal. Im at 38k miles right now.

Any ideas on what the problem is?
:(

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you fill up with gas while the Engine was running?

The Fuel systems runs Pressurized. and if the cap is off while the engine is running then you could get this problem. Also your Cap may have leaked some air into the tank while the engine was running, if it keeps happening after you clear the codes from the computer, I would go and get a new Gas cap. this should solve your problem, if it doesn't then you have something else wrong.

Nope I always shut the engine off. But ill check the cap at lunch time a little closer. Can I clear it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few mintutes right? Maybe get a new cap from the dealer down the street then go from there. Hopefully its not something bad.

Thanks CBoug76

I had the same thing happen to my '00 XLT at 500 miles. The dealer accused me of not tightening the cap enough after gassing up, and at the time, I thought it could have been possible.... until it happened again at 6000 miles.

Then I had them check it out again during an oil change and it turns out the cap was defective and was replaced under warranty.

OEM cap will probably be your best bet. I've seen a number of <insert big name brand here> caps that can't cut the mustard.

Oops.... almost forgot. The fuel tank evporative emissions system is an important part of the overall emission control system. The check engine light is *most likely* because the ECM has seen persistent failure of the evap system This particular DTC takes more than one drive cycle to set.

Bear in mind that there may be other reasons for the failure - purge valve and solenoid, damaged plumbing, etc. At 38K miles, this should still be covered under the emission controls warranty

This could also be caused by overfilling (milking) the gas tank. If you fill it to the top some fouls up the evop. system and will through a code. Happens to my brother all the time.

Originally posted by jimmiecakes
. . .At 38K miles, this should still be covered under the emission controls warranty

Not unless he is in California. Sometime between my '94 Ranger and my '97 Explorer the emissions warranty requirements have changed. On my '97 the only things that have a longer warranty than the standard 3 year/36K warranty are the catalytic converter and PCM. They are covered to 8 years/80K miles. Disregarding the items that Ford has extended the warranty on due to frequent problems (throttle body, camshaft tensioners, etc.)

Not unless he is in California.

Thanks for the note.... I haven't heard if we've had similar changes in Canada.

Mind you, Alberta still doesn't even have anti-tampering laws, yet.......

Back