and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Chevy engine swap

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by p100ki, November 13, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. p100ki

p100ki Active Member

I was just wondering if anyone had done the swap and had any tips. I'm putting a regular 265 horse 72 Chevy 350 carbed motor in my 94 limited. I'm going to put a stock engine in for now while i build a 355 to replace it. The main question i have is - Will the stock front axle hold up for a while until i swap my D44 in? I'm not talking about hardcore wheeling just the occasional mud bog and on road winter driving. I'll probably just run a few gauges consisting of tach, oil pressure, and water temp.

I'm not worried about the fabrication since i have put a small block Chevy in everything from a chevette to a 96 Lincoln Town Car. I have also built and thrown leaf packs in late model Lincolns and Crown Vics. All our derby cars are built with Chevy drive trains and a mix match of leafs on cars that were never built for leafs.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Burns

Burns Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pulaski, TN
      Year and Model:
      1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
      The front axle should be fine....

What tranny you gonna use?

Oh and what is the weight difference.

4. damarble

damarble Active Member

City, State:
      CdA, ID
      Year and Model:
      01 Sport, minor mods
      I hear Ford makes some great V8's too.... *hint hint*

5. 1998rollover

1998rollover Active Member

City, State:
      Weiser, ID
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer
      If this guy wants to put yet another Chevy engine into yet another Ford, I'm sure he can figure it out just fine.

If he wants something people will go "Ooooo! Ahhhh!" over, cram a 427 SOHC reproduction in it. For a lot less $$$, try a 351 Windsor or Cleveland or 351M. Putting a Chevy in it is just "So what? 99.999% of rodders already do that. Yawn.".

Some people have this thing where every Ford they see, they think "I must shove a Chevy V8 in there!".

Some try to hide it. I've seen a street rod with the newer 350 where GM switched to the Ford valve pattern- the owner had made adapters to fit Ford valve covers on the heads. At a glance it looked right, but further inspection revealed the ruse.

A few people do the opposite for a bit of payback. One episode of Pinks All Out had a pro-street Corvette with a big block Ford V8. ;) I've seen a 1930something MoPar panel with all GM suspension and drivetrain.

I'd like to see Car Craft or Hot Rod do a "Pure Rides" issue where every car in it has all the major bits from the same make as the body. No Chebby engines inna Ford and no Ford 9" under any Chev.

Another special issue could feature GM's with non-GM bits and MoPars with non MoPar bits. (Watch the MoPar purists buy tons of the magazine to burn!) It wouldn't need to have a single Ford, because every ^%$# issue of those magazines has a Ford minus Ford engine.

6. p100ki

p100ki Active Member

400 turbo most likely, i do have a 700r4 also but the 400 holds up to more abuse from what i have experienced. The weight difference will be taken care of by putting a set of 2" lift springs in the front until i swap the axle out. I have a set out another truck and they should be me back closer to stock.

I've got four or five 302's and a couple 351's also but i have much more chevy parts. I was tempted to drop the straight six and drivetrain from my '76 stepside but i have all the chevy parts and i have always had chevy trucks so that's the main reason i chose a chevy.

I don't care what Ford guys think, i had a tuned port Chevy 350 in a Mustang just because i got the car as a roller and had the engine laying around. The main reason i'm doing the swap is because i drove my Ex almost 70 miles home with no oil pressure after an offroad trip a couple weeks ago. I also have more water than tranny fluid in my transmission so if i have to pull them i might as well put something with a touch more power in their place. I haven't started the truck since then but i had a lot of head noise and maybe some on the bottom end but the head is so loud i can't be sure.

7. 1998rollover

1998rollover Active Member

City, State:
      Weiser, ID
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer
      Ford Motorsport used to have a 351W lower intake to bolt the 5.0 MPFI upper intake to. I haven't looked at one of their catalogs in years so I don't know if they still sell that item.

Add rest of parts as needed. ;)

8. 35Remmy

35Remmy Active Member

City, State:
      Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
      Year and Model:
      '88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
      Thank the Lord for the small block Ford.

9. p100ki

p100ki Active Member

I'd thank him more if he made it as easy and cheap as a smallblock chevy to get power out of.

10. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      [​IMG]

11. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      And post pics while doing it please... sounds neat.

12. Cobraguy

Cobraguy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
      Year and Model:
      1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
      If you've done these, you would know that's a moot question because the chances of you using that stock front driveline are slim and none. Your either going to have to use a GM transfer case, or buy an expensive adapter to use the Ford. Then, you have the case of where different manufacturers have rotated the transfer case to put the driveline on opposite sides of the vehicle. The chance of having the driveshaft mounts in the same location is extremely remote due to different engine locations and transmission lengths. Maybe you can locate everything so that dimension remains the same...but that's just speculation. If this were a 2WD conversion, this would be an easy swap. But where it's 4WD, there are a lot of pitfalls to overcome. Last one of these I saw was a Chevy in an old Dodge Powerwagon. That took all new drivelines.

1998rollover...there is a reason everyone puts Chebbies in their vehicles. There is NOTHING cheaper when it comes to dollar per horsepower and there are millions of them out there to choose from.

13. p100ki

p100ki Active Member

I know i can drill out the mounts on a couple different chevy cases so they can be mounted right or left. I stumbled on that last summer putting the wrong transfer case in a friends Blazer. I drilled out two holes and it went in where it needed to go. I'm not saying that's what i'll do since i do have a set of Chevy corporate axles sitting in the garage. I may just do a 2wd swap and then swap axles in the spring for 4wd.

14. patman

patman Active Member

City, State:
      lincoln NE
      Year and Model:
      '96 sport
      i hope you're not planning to make this street legal...because in almost all states it's not street legal unless

1)it's the same as an engine offered in the same model vehicle
      2)it has all the emissions equipment intact and with it
      3)you have the vehicle pass an emissions check

15. JoeCool6972

JoeCool6972 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      where ever I may roam...
      Year and Model:
      2007 Sport Trac XLT
      HELL NO!!! Don't bastardize your Ford. If you think Chevy makes a better engine, trade your Ford in on a Chevy. Sorry, but I hate that crap! :thumbdwn:

If you must swap engines and really like the FORD Explorer, put a Fox body Mustang GT40 302 in it. You can get a nice crate engine rather cheap. Or a 351 Windsor. :thumbsup:

16. damarble

damarble Active Member

City, State:
      CdA, ID
      Year and Model:
      01 Sport, minor mods

As long as he gets the emissions sorted it may fly. On pre-OBDII cars they still have to the sniffer right? So the computer shouldn't be tipping them off. As long as it looks stock and has acceptable emissions levels, I doubt they would suspect a thing. Worst case register it someplace where emissions aren't required. Here in Spokane you only need to pass if you live in the city of Spokane, county vehicles are exempt.

17. patman

patman Active Member

City, State:
      lincoln NE
      Year and Model:
      '96 sport
      but it still has to be an engine offered in that same model vehicle and i'm absolutely sure that there is NO explorer with a chevy engine offered

18. p100ki

p100ki Active Member

No emissions or safety check, all that matters in my location is the vin matches the title. My big block s10 was a testament to that.

19. damarble

damarble Active Member

City, State:
      CdA, ID
      Year and Model:
      01 Sport, minor mods
      What they don't know they can't object to! :D

20. 35Remmy

35Remmy Active Member

City, State:
      Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
      Year and Model:
      '88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
      I don't CARE about how cheap a 350 is.

If everyone wanted CHEAP power there wouldn't be GT500's, LS1's,Vipers, Porsche's, etc.

If their owners CARED about cheap power they would've bought a rust-bucket bowtie and dropped a turnkey 350 in it. What a boring motor.

I don't WANT cheap!!!

By the way, a small-blocked Ford Torino mopped the floor with a 68 or 69 camaro at the pinks nationals in Detriot...did anyone see that?

21. p100ki

p100ki Active Member

Have you swapped a 350 into an Explorer? I only ask since i was looking for someone who had. Your opinions are worthless to me but you still continue to give them. I wonder what the new Corvette uses for power? A smallblock Chevy, there's probably a reason for this.

22. Burns

Burns Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pulaski, TN
      Year and Model:
      1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
      I hope this thread can now get on track. I say go for it. Nothing is stopping you from what i read.

Please refrain from any more negative comments.

To quote the mr elect.
      [​IMG]

23. Pollarican

Pollarican Active Member

City, State:
      Wall Township, New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      1991 EB 4dr
      It might help you a ton with some clearance issues if you installed a body lift before trying to get the dimensions/ mock everything up. Of course, you are going to have to pay close attention to header clearance, oil pan clearance, and mock up a nice custom Y-pipe. I would also look into an oil filter relocation kit, although I am not sure about the exact orientation of the filter on the 350 motor. But what am I saying, you seem like you have your fair share of experience and know what you are doing with this.

I'm under the impression that a 350 weighs somewhere in the 550-600 lbs range. If anyone could chime in with a weight figure for the stock 4.0 that might give you an idea of the spring rate difference you have to address. I think the TTB should be able to take that extra weight, depending on the size tires you are running and how hard you beat on your rig.

As for everyone flaming on p100 and his Chevy motor, nothing beats the after market for a 350, even when compared to the 302. There are endless options for that motor, and in the end when completely built it will shit all over the 302. I don't care how much of a "ford guy" any of you are, sometimes you have to just grow a set and face the facts.

24. p100ki

p100ki Active Member

I already have a 3" body lift to clear the 265/75 16s i have on it now.

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0408081703bo1.jpg

I was building a big horsepower 302 for my Mustang and i traded the Mustang for a tranny and transfer case from an F150 and some cash. I have this 302 sitting here built so i'm leaning toward throwing it in the Explorer. I have two complete drive trains so i'll probably end up going with whatever sounds good the day i slap it in.

Exhaust wise i'm probably going to build some headers if i don't find anything i like and i'm running straight pipes that exit in front of the rear tires. If i run mufflers at all it will only be glasspacks for the look of legality.

25. Pollarican

Pollarican Active Member

City, State:
      Wall Township, New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      1991 EB 4dr
      Hey man choose whichever you feel you can make work without going nuts fabricating/ customizing in the process. A built 302 can definitely make sufficient power to make that Ex move, especially with a more truck oriented/ torquey cam etc. The benefit of putting that 302 in is that there are loads of info on the swap and wiring, adapting motor mounts you can simply order, and plenty of guys on the site to offer you advice when it comes to comparing part setups, drivetrain choices, and fitment.

Swapping in the 350, you are going to have to put a lot of thought into the whole 4WD aspect of the setup, splicing a custom wiring harness, choosing a t-case, and getting a proper length/ yoked driveshaft. Being that you have the 4 door, I don't think you would have to worry too much about how long the custom trans/ t-case setup would be in length impacting the ending pinion angle, which is a nice thing. Honestly, I wish you would go this route, I would LOVE to see a first gen with that monster small block under the hood. It all depends how deep you want to get into a project like that basically running solo considering not many people on this site know much about that motor in these trucks.

Another thing that I worry about with this swap - don't the majority of Chevy trucks running 350's have a passenger side pig in the front axle? I'm sure with an Advance Adapters part you could run the 700R4 with the BW1354 or maybe even the BW1356. RESEARCH RESEARCH!!! haha

P.S. - Nice job on the 3 inch body, that bumper looks great with it.

26. fordktpjoe

fordktpjoe New Member

City, State:
      Bloomfield, Kentucky
      While that would be a wet dream come true...I wouldn't wanna get a second mortgage on my house to buy one! Last one I saw was $17,000 and needed a rebuild! :eek: Of course it was an original.

Don't know what the repops cost...Hell I didn't even know they were making them.