Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again

Ok kiddies, time for my bi-annual rebuild thread:p:
This time I won't be messing with the suspension...well, maybe the coilovers.
I may need new coils so I don't have so much uptravel but I'll deal with that much later.

Since i'm barely working progress will be slow since I'll need a few parts and whatnot to get my rig functional again. Main things I need to purchase are new leaf springs. They are totally shot and to have them rebuilt I can buy a new set of Toy springs which i'm gonna try out.

In the mean time, i've been removing stuff that either is damaged and won't be used again or just removing to get it out of the way while I work on stuff.

Here's my list so far:

Front bumper tubework: This will get reworked to accommodate the winch.
Front fenders: Thrashed beyond repair
Rocksliders: Been wanting to build new ones anyways so good as time as any to cut them off.
Rocker panels: Want to get the sliders up higher so they had to go.
Bed: Also trashed beyond repair, tubework will go in it's place
Gutted supercab area: Needed to remove for roof repair but may leave it that way and spray it with undercoating.

That's what i've done so far to the rig and I got my winch mounted today as well. I bought this winch early last summer before the roll and it's a SuperWinch Rock 9.5 short drum with synthetic rope.
I was pondering how i'd fit the grill back on since it sits behind it but i'd still need to access the freespool lever. My plan is to have it on hinges so I can flip it up, i'll just need a way to lock it in place at the bottom...maybe with Dzus fastners.

So on with the pics, i'll start with some before pics of the roof caved in and then with some of the roof almost where I want it. Still needs work obviously.
Other pics show the rockers cut and some general shots of the truck in its current condition. Last set of shots is of the winch install and grill mock up.

dscn0711.jpg

dscn0712.jpg

dscn0725.jpg

dscn0726.jpg

dscn0727.jpg

dscn0723.jpg

dscn0728.jpg

dscn0729.jpg

dscn0735.jpg

dscn0736.jpg

dscn0730.jpg

dscn0733.jpg

dscn0734.jpg

dscn0737.jpg

dscn0738.jpg

dscn0739.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

figured you wouldn't and made of what, i've always been a fan of wood, but i think its an older truck thing

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looking good, Dave! I want to start working on mine so bad.

How do the mud flaps quick release?

I used the spring loaded dealios from McMaster Carr. They are welded to 1.5" tube and then slide over 1.25" tube mounted on the frame. The smaller tube has a hole drilled for the spring loaded pin to rest in.

Looks good Dave. I gotta ask; Are you going to use the existing mud flapps for street use?

Get'er done!:thumbsup: Then we can go back to BB and take out revenge:D

Looks good Dave. I gotta ask; Are you going to use the existing mud flapps for street use?

That was the plan, will they not fly with the law?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a smogged and registered Ranger once again:party:

After 2 years of sitting on the side of my house, I can finally take the rig out and enjoy it again. And such a nice day to go for a smog check with no A/C or headliner with temps to be around 111 lol. Got a lot of looks driving it around even passed a couple cops going the other way but they didn't seem to care.

Anyways, glad that's done and over with...so who want's to wheel?:D

Good stuff DB! GOod stuff.

Anyways, glad that's done and over with...so who want's to wheel?:D

When and where:D

Your rig looks great Dave! Very nice work:chug:

..Great news on the Smog..:biggthump

..I need to do mine next month but I was already out by your house this week when it was a mere 100*..:rolleyes:

..I would wheel with you when I unload the Ranger for work out there...:shifty_ey ..But does that part of Hades get cool enough to wheel this time of year?

A dusk/night run might be tolerable, Berdoo canyon rd. would be a nice mellow run. It's just a dirt road that goes from Indio up to Joshua Tree area. There was an area I used to putt around just outside of Palm Springs where I-10 and hwy 111 split but it's all off limits now:mad:

..How about the hills over by the rest area?

..Maybe it will cool down when I'm out there and we can call your jeep buddy and head back out to TH..

..I'm about 75% sure right now and will no more in the next week..Will keep in touch on that subject..;)

..:scratch:..Does this mean you can bring your Ranger down to Froaders? Local run on your way home say Monday?

Those hills by the rest area (eastbound) was where I used to go. There were some sand dunes and small rockpiles to play on. Once upon a time in the spring they would release water upstream in the whitewater wash and it would kinda flood in a flat area by a bridge at windy point. It was like being at the beach but of course the fun police put a stop to that.

Won't be able to bring the Ranger down to OC, I'll be finishing Colin's cabinets so I need the DD to haul my stuff.

Update...the inner tube work in the bed wasn't working for me so I cut it all out and started over. I wanted room for a spare tire and space for a cooler, camping gear, etc.

The tubes coming out of the cab were driving me nuts since they were banging against the cab so i made new ones which are just tacked in place for now and might either use a urethane bushing at the cab or just solid mount the cab itself...still deciding.

Also got new LED tail and back up lights...if your keeping track this around V.4:p: The tail lights are from Ruffstuff and the back up lights are from Genright off road and they are both really bright.

Made new panels from .050 aluminum and they are a lot lighter than the 16g steel panels that were on there before. I was going to go with the natural finish of the aluminum but it was too shiny when the sun hits it. I tried sanding and wire brushing it but it didn't look good so ended up painting it like the old ones.

Had to go outboard with the shocks as there's no room in the bed area anymore. They work great and are out of the way of everything.

The to-do list includes: Strategically install tie-down hooks in bed area, make storage bins in the "fenders", wire up the winch that's been mounted for 2 years:rolleyes: Install stereo system i took out when I was building the cage. Make panels for the spare tire floor and maybe the sides. Mount the hi-lift somewhere.

On with the pics:

p1070152.jpg

p1070153.jpg

p1070154.jpg

p1070155.jpg

p1070156.jpg

p1070157.jpg

p1070158.jpg

p1070159.jpg

p1070160.jpg

p1070161.jpg

p1070162.jpg

Spot on DB.. awesome work as always.

Back